Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 BRONCO RANGER XLT -351M-C6-NP203 TO 205 SWAP -9IN 3.50 REAR
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys-Could someone please tell me why my Timken SBK1 bearing seal kit comes with 5 pcs- Google the K1 and you will see it has 3pcs and the K4 has the 5 pieces-Well I ordered the K1 Kit from Amazon(2 in total)-and they have 5pcs in each box.
Am I losing it???-whats the story there??-see pics

Now can anybody tell me where these pieces go???
All have been numbered and I have started with the obvious-but the last 2-Does anyone know where these last 2 pcs go???-OR - Do they???
And if you do-which way do they face??-Please see Photos and tell me anything you can-thanks guys-need to get this front end back together soon.
ITEMS IN BOX;
*SPINDLE BEARING-ALL READY INSTALLED!
1->TIMKEN SBK1 BOX
2->AMAZON AD SHOWING SBK4-(5 PCS)
3->2 PCS (UNKNOWN??)-WHERE DO THESE GO(WHICH WAY?)
4a and b->BACK OF SPINDLE BEHIND BEARING (BUT WHICH WAY?-a or b?

5a and b- WHERE DOES THIS ONE GO (WHICH WAY???-a or b?
*My main concern is the two in picture 3-Do they go on a 78 Bronco?

Amber Font Automotive exterior Gas Electronic device House numbering Wood Font Motor vehicle Material property Tire Automotive tire Font Rim Circle Wood Font Circle Gas Metal Wood Rim Font Bicycle part Auto part Window Fixture Font Circle Composite material Wood Gas Font Circle Metal

·
Registered
522 Posts
I completely rebuilt the 78 bronco dana 44 from spindle to spindle including ring pinion and all bearings
The parts in the 3rd picture are not familiar

the part in the first picture looks like the dust shield that goes on the axle where it meets the outer axle housing tube to help keep dirt out of the housing tubes
I think you have extra parts. That’s how these things are these days with our stuff being so old

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
Items in picture #3 defiantly get installed, the item on the left is called a "slinger" (3C132), item on the right is a "spacer" (3299). Slinger is installed on the short / outer axle shaft with inner ring lip towards the splined end of the shaft. The dust seal (3132) is installed next (top row, R/H item in picture #2) with the thin angled lip towards the steering knuckle or outboard. Then the spacer (3299) is installed with the bevel facing inboard. Seal in picture #4a & 4b looks like the lip seal (not shown in below diagram) for the small carrier / spindle bearing (3123) that is installed in the spindle assembly after the bearing (3123) is installed. Seal should be installed with the lip facing inboard to keep dirt / water from getting into the carrier / spindle bearing.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Great work
I didn’t know those parts are available
I just reused the old
I stand corrected. Now to order those myself!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Items in picture #3 defiantly get installed, the item on the left is called a "slinger" (3C132), item on the right is a "spacer" (3299). Slinger is installed on the short / outer axle shaft with inner ring lip towards the splined end of the shaft. The dust seal (3132) is installed next (top row, R/H item in picture #2) with the thin angled lip towards the steering knuckle or outboard. Then the spacer (3299) is installed with the bevel facing inboard. Seal in picture #4a & 4b looks like the lip seal (not shown in below diagram) for the small carrier / spindle bearing (3123) that is installed in the spindle assembly after the bearing (3123) is installed. Seal should be installed with the lip facing inboard to keep dirt / water from getting into the carrier / spindle bearing.

View attachment 180654
Thanks so much Ziggy for your post!-Just found this out today-You are absolutely right-All pieces fit perfect -will post a pic tomorrow .I -probably -like so many guys thought that the dust shield(3c132-Slinger) was part of the stubbie short axle and was not made to be removed. The old one was quite pitted and could easily be straightened out with a small hammer and pliers.-But boy does it feel good to be able to change that shield after all these years and to utilize all the parts that came with the kit-that we pay good money for. No more extra parts lying around-these ones all get used 😎 👍 👍
check later for pic

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BTW-I've got this manual and was looking at this same exploded diagram-which you can't see the text at the bottom of the page-but it says for 1979 Bronco-which I never knew came as a 8 bolt -lol
If only they made a manual with real pictures -with the real parts-
-our trucks would get fixed right the first time

·
Premium Member
3,521 Posts
BTW-I've got this manual and was looking at this same exploded diagram-which you can't see the text at the bottom of the page-but it says for 1979 Bronco-which I never knew came as a 8 bolt -lol
If only they made a manual with real pictures -with the real parts-
-our trucks would get fixed right the first time
Also shows twin piston calipers, but can't be 3/4 ton D44 with rad arm mounts. :)

Reactions: biglog78

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here it is guys-all parts used from the TIMKEN SBK1 kit-
2-pcs for the spindle
and 3 pieces for the outer-shaft-
Can't wait to do the other side 😎 👍

Automotive tire Rim Gas Automotive wheel system Circle Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Camera lens Gas Auto part Household hardware Metal Nickel Vehicle Bicycle fork Automotive tire Tire Bicycle part Automotive tire Rim Wood Bicycle part Gas

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

The final 3132 dust seal / boot below goes on last over the Metal dust slinger C3132 shown above.

Reactions: miesk5

·
Registered
23 Posts
How fortuitous this thread popped up! I've been taking apart my Dana and have been wondering what half of these pieces are called to replace them. I'll have to save this as a reference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts