Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Comin home from a relaxing afternoon of fishing when all of a sudden my '78 died. I was driving slowly along when it died. Tried and tried to crank it but nothing. It will turn over but doesn't seem to be firing. Any ideas right off hand? I think my motor is a 351M. I'm no mechanic but can do some minor repairs. I'm hoping something simple (coil, distributor cap, rotor,etc.) Any suggestions on where to start?:banghead:cry:banghead:cry

·
Registered
980 Posts
well you lost power somewheres, probably the coil? you will just have to chase it down, get a tester and start checking to find out where the power stops? you can also run a wire from the positive side of the battery to the positive side of the coil, then try to fire it, if it works you know its in the positive wire somewhere or a bad connection, its a simple electrical system, you don't need to be a computer genius or a technician to figure it out. you'll get it. good luck

·
Premium Member
12,536 Posts
More than likely it is the control module. Driver side inner fender well up by the firewall, it's a silverish box with either 2 or 3 pigtails coming out of it. Pull it off and take it to a parts store to be tested.

·
machine gun preacher
706 Posts
mine did the same thing a couple of weeks ago. I got it over to the house, pulled a spark plug, and tested it, by leaving it in the spark plug boot and placing it near the block to ground it. Have a buddy crank it quick. No spark...move on.

We then stuffed a spark plug in the coil boot. cranked it. no spark. The coil had died a slow painful death. Trip to the parts store and $13 bucks later, she fired right up.

·
Registered
455 Posts
There's only about 4 things to look for, and two have already been mentioned (Ignition coil and the Ignition Module mounted on the fenderwell).

First take a look at the horseshoe type wiring connector on the coil. Our trucks seem to break the wire where it enters the plug, thereby disabling the engine. Usually it'll be obvious the wire is broken, or you may need to remove the connector to check it.

The other cause of a no-spark condition is the pick-up coil inside the distributor. It can be replaced with the distributor still in place, by removing the reluctor wheel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts