Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the fan pulleys are interchangeable. I want to do away with the stock fan in my 78 Bronco and install a fan with a clutch. I had installed a 14" fan, but I was running 210 on the highway. I installed a Dodge fan and I was running 200 on the highway and 210 in the city. I now installed a Marquis fan, which I was told was similar to the thunderbird and at idle it seem to cool the engine okay. Bad thing is it cost me $100. I saw and F series truck with a fan clutch and was wondering if the pulleys are interchangeable.

·
Registered
106 Posts
what motor do you have?
My 79 F-150 w/460 was running alittle on the hot side also had stock rad for 351m w/clutch fan. Hopefully soon I will be able find out how well a Mark VIII fan will do with new 31"X19" alum Rad. I got the Mark VIII fan off e-bay for$60 runs and has dual speed.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Pulleys should be same. The fan clutch hub will bolt thru the pulley onto the water pump snout in place of the spacer for the non-clutch fan.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I had a lot of trouble when i dropped a 460 in my 79 f-150 with temps, but put on a lighter higher pitched fan solid fan, an engine oil cooler with filter relocation kit, and a 4 core radiator, temp guage never even goes over 195* now in summer when towing 5th wheel trailer

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay. My 78 had a stock non-clutch fan. I am wanting to convert to clutch fan. I saw on the LMC mag that the engine with a clutch fan does not have a pulley. It seems the fan and clutch bolt straight to the water pump. I removed the Marquis fan in order to try out the fan clutch. Then I had to put the stock fan back on. Now I am back to the clutch fan. It seems the fan I had bought was not the type for my truck. Now hopefully this week I will go and hunt me down a Mark VIII fan.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts