Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the leaking exhaust manifold with either a new oem part or some headers. The manifold is heavily rusted and and the bolts wont turn. whats the best way to get these bad boys off? I dont have the means to pull out the engine so that out of the question, any ideas or products that actually work to penetrate and will help break the bolts free?

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you have access to a torch it will make a lot easier. If not I have used PB Blaster to soak them. Then if they don't move I have cut the heads off the bolts and slide the manifold off the bolt then remove the bolt.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
For me the exhaust minifold bolts have always been a major pain. Poolguy is right on the money. get yourself a drift/punch or even another bolt; probably 5/16" x 3- 3 1/2". There isn't much room to swing, but put the punch etc against the bolt head and then hit it several dozen times as had as you can. A lot of times this will allow you to get the bolt out. Otherwise go buy a MAPP gas torch at Walmart, Home Depot. get the Mapp gas not the propane. The MAPP gas is a lot hotter. Be careful with it and have an extinguisher ready!! Oil that has leaked, rubber or cork gaskets etc tend to go up fast. Another thing I have found is heat the bolt cherry red, let it cool and then heat it again, cool it and then heat a third time. Immediately after the third heating try your long breaker bar. Good Luck
Swamp

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are pretty terribly rusted I replaced the tranny oil coolant lines this weekend and to remove what was left of the exhaust from the manifold and ended up cutting the bolts (with a hack saw) just to get to the side of the tranny. That side of the motor is so tight to work around and thats where my doubt are when it comes to being able to replace it. The MAPP torch will probably be the first thing I try.

Where has been the best place to find a cheap set of oem manifolds?

·
Registered
99 Posts
go to your local GM dealership parts counter and buy a can of heat valve p/n 88862627 then use an impact gun to break them loose

1 - 7 of 7 Posts