Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently restoring a 78 BroncoRanger XLT freewheeling edition.

I know the questions are probly been answered or a lil dumb but I couldnt find any direct answers.

I have been thinking about doing a 4" lift, putting a light bar on the roof with 6" round off road lights, as well as a lund lighted visor. I have the orginal bull bar that goes on the front and welded on a couple of brackes to hold 6" pro comp offroad lights

Im also debating on a cd player and the headliner with the speakers built in.

Will any of these mods affect the value or rarity of it by any means.

Thanks for your input to my dumb questions.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
if done correctly, i don't think it will add, nor take away value from the truck.just keep the original parts in case you ever decide to lower it back down to stock (unlikely).i.e...don't do anything to it that can't be reversed.
oh yeah.......we need PICS!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll try and get some better/newer pictures up this weekend. Also any one close to Cleveland that can show me how to install new sheet metal. Once the resto is done I will only be driving it on nice days or to car shows.

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,916 Posts
That headliner with the speakers that shows for an F150 will not fit in the Bronco without some modification. There's a couple threads in the 78/79 forum that talks about it. Just do a search for "headliner."

·
penis
3,320 Posts
I am currently restoring a 78 BroncoRanger XLT freewheeling edition.

I know the questions are probly been answered or a lil dumb but I couldnt find any direct answers.

I have been thinking about doing a 4" lift, putting a light bar on the roof with 6" round off road lights, as well as a lund lighted visor. I have the orginal bull bar that goes on the front and welded on a couple of brackes to hold 6" pro comp offroad lights

Im also debating on a cd player and the headliner with the speakers built in.

Thanks for your input to my dumb questions.
First no such thing as a dumb question, The lift, lightbar, and visor come down to what you want on it peronally. Me I like the visor and the light bar but now a bg fan of the lift, also some prefer the 6 inch lift once again person taste. Next will be the headliner unless you have inagaddavita on 8-track then CD is the way to go, over head speakers will add some sound quality. If you want to add the rarity look for OEM parts yes ford made the visor for it, roof mounted light bar, and offer off road lights from there parts counter, if you want to spend the time to look and repair these parts would add a unique rarity to the truck by you being able to say it is factory ford parts.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are some pics you guys have been asking for. Please dont hurt me. I know she needs alot of work but you would too after being pushed 4 1/2 feet into a grand am by an 18 wheeler. Also have any of you guys seen a hitch like this on a 78 bronco before? I also have the orignal push bar and roll bar.

for more pics: [http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt356/2ndgen_bronco_fan/Black 1978 Bronco

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WOW! I figured some one would know something about the hitch?

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Most people would freak about that much rust. It's just a fact of life though if you live anywhere that gets ice in the winter.

I would start with new hood, fenders and doors. The back end can be patched here and there (floor) and you can buy new quarters I'm sure.

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
Most people would freak about that much rust. It's just a fact of life though if you live anywhere that gets ice in the winter.
Naw only in places that use salt on their roads.. Alaska only uses sand and gravel... Hell on Windows, but cheaper to replace then rusted out cars :)

Oh thats one really rusted truck.. Sentimental value? Or use just really like rust :)?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
well, you got me beat, my bronco is rusty but atleast I don't have holes in the hood!

Good luck with that project, and get ready to strip it and replace everything!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The hitch is welded on. I pulled a buddy's f-150 out of a ditch with it. I was trying to see if it was some weird ford hitch. Yeah i know its got metal cancer. What you expect for being in cleveland, oh for 30+ years.

Heres the story on the beast:

I bought it in Fall of 2005 for $300. It needed a break line, fuel pump and fuel tank. The PO said it had been setting for 2 yrs. BS I found the registration in the consol on the way home. It had been sitting for 8yrs. I ended up replacing the carb. COuld get it to run right. And the PO had taken it mudding a few times but he must have taken the time to power wash under it. No caked on mud.

In 2008 I was at work and some DA truck driver "forgot" to set the breaks. His truck rolled into it and pushed it 4 1/2 ft in to another employees car. Ended up messing up the ball joints and steering componets. Hot asphalt, mud tires and pushed at a funky angle did it in. The only body damage was bent bumper, dented fender and grille shell, aslo tweaked core support and inner fender. I parked it and was trying to decide what to do. $400 in parts to do ball joints and steering componets. I bought another 78 bronco in the mean time to get to and from work for $500. I was going to take the 2 and make one good one. HAHA. Joke was on me. Ranger XLT Bodies and Custom bodies are a little bit different. After realizing it was a Free Wheelin edition I decided I was going to restore it.

I plan on replacing the hood, doors, tailgate, inner front fenders and outter front fenders, floors, and rear quater panels.

I know alot of work is ahead of me but at least it keeps me out of trouble.

As of now I need to find a back window( untinted) and a side window with the factory privacy glass before winter.

After that I plan on gettting the body off and into storage so I can work on the frame first. Mainly sand blasting and powder coating as well as rebuilding the axles. Then get the body done. After the body is back on frame and done the engine, trans, and t-case are getting rebuilt.

When its all finished it will be driven only in the summer on nice days and to car shows. I already had to get the historical plates for it. ( City was bitching at my father. Its parked at his place. All the tools are at his home)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pdpgg, good luck finding a set. It took me 2yrs of looking. Those are 5x5.5 lug pattern with a 3.75 backspacing. They cost me $200. PLus what ever it cost me to have them fixed up nice. One has minor curb rash.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yea I hear ya, my buddy had a 79 with 38.5 gumbos with slotted mags ive been looking for 3 years now and no luck.

·
the Broheim
3,994 Posts
Is that a factory steering wheel??? Me likey :toothless

Also I believe either american racing or centerline makes a wheel called the "sandflat" that looks pretty similar to the old slotted mags. They come up for sale frequently but they are mostly 8 lug and 16.5's :banghead

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes that is the factory sport steering wheel.

Sorry for advertising I was just trying to help anyone looking for those mags. The are hard to find.

I also plan on going over the entire wiring harness and repairing it( I'm a certifed electronics tech and I use to build alot of control panels with custom wiring harness).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts