Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cleaning up the front end a little. With the Diff. cover off and not knowing much about gears does this look ok? I don’t see any chipped teeth or anything that looks strange. I’m going to paint the cover and seal it back up. - just checking.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,329 Posts
Looks good to me, Maybe slightly discoloroed from sitting and not being used, but you will have that.

·
Premium Member
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Crazy!

·
Premium Member
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For now I just used brake cleaner and wiped it down with microfiber clothes to clean it up a bit.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,329 Posts
For now I just used brake cleaner and wiped it down with microfiber clothes to clean it up a bit.
this made me laugh as its a statement as to how clean this Particular 2nd gen is. I couldn't even do that on my '05 Excursion and expect to clean anything.

·
Premium Member
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any of you put RTV on the cover bolts during installation?. All of the bolts I took off had a collar of sealant on every bolt...

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
1,130 Posts
What was on your bolts was probably just excess that got on there. It shouldn’t need any on the bolts

·
Premium Member
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So got the the front cover cleaned up, sealed and filled. I have the sway bar and new bushings ready to go back on. I’m now thinking of the tie rod and drag link. I can put new ends on the tie rod but what do you all do with the drag link bar? Replace the whole bar or just ends if that’s possible.
Happy New Year all!

·
Premium Member
2,194 Posts
I believe you will have to replace the whole rod because the one end is pressed in, I've never replaced just the joint in the non-adjustable end.

·
Premium Member
3,250 Posts
If you want to keep it 100% stock, you have to replace short/long tie rods and entire drag link.

If not, on my 70 EB, I converted to 78/79 steering box and used these Chevy parts to allow both tie rods
and drag link to be adjustable (parts are beefier than stock 78/79, 1/2 ton stuff also). Uses internally
threaded DOM tubing between both tie rods and drag link ends. Can buy it as a whole kit,
even for 78/79's. I did have to ream tapered holes in knuckles, but they are from a 77 bronc, so not sure
if you have to do anything on 78+

Also, if you look on floor in first pic, you can see I cut upper end of stock drag link, and welded on a short tie rod end with adjuster.
Very handy to get steering wheel back in line, if you've done susp or body lifts (since drag link is normally not adjustable).

Reactions: BigBlue 94

·
Premium Member
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for that OX. I took the easy way out and ordered the JBG stock tie rod/drag link replacement. I did notice my tie rod bar was bent somewhat.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts