Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to jump into a 78-79 and am conversing with a gentleman about his 1978 Bronco. I have never seen the truck in person - this will be an online deal.

Anyway, the truck has 33" mud tires on it with no lift and no cut fenders. He states that he can fit these because of the "factory hi boy" suspension with "duel shocks".
I thought the highboy suspension was only offered on F250 and up with leaf sprung front ends. Is this correct? No biggie, but it makes me wonder.....

Thanks, gents, hope to be a member soon.

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,916 Posts
Yeah, hi-boys were only in the 250s.

He's talking out of his ass. I've seen a stock 78 fit 35s, yeah, they'll scrub if flexed, but he fit them. The Quad shocks were just an added "upgrade" and have nothing to do with what size tires it'll fit.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
He be full-o-crap. Ford made no 'highboy' Broncos, ever, and made no 'highboy' ANYTHING after early 77. The 'highboy' thing came about to differentiate between the narrow-frame FE-powered, divorced-T-case F-250s and their lower-sitting 400-powered, mated-T-case brethren when both were produced at the same time in the mid-70s.

The 78/79 Bronco came with a couple different GVWRs and was offered with the quad-shock option. But that was about it.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
bmc69 said:
He be full-o-crap. Ford made no 'highboy' Broncos, ever, and made no 'highboy' ANYTHING after early 77. The 'highboy' thing came about to differentiate between the narrow-frame FE-powered, divorced-T-case F-250s and their lower-sitting 400-powered, mated-T-case brethren when both were produced at the same time in the mid-70s.

The 78/79 Bronco came with a couple different GVWRs and was offered with the quad-shock option. But that was about it.
yep, I did a lot of research about a year or so ago when looking at a deal involving a 77 F250 "hiboy" and a 78 F250. Both had the D60 FF rear, both had D44 leaf spring HD 8 lug front. but the hi boy also had the ram assist type steering, a big factory block out back, and divorced t-case. You would not find this on any bronco.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, confirmation of my suspicions.
Truck also has a rattle can paint job with some ominous looking bubbles over the rear wheels ;)
But is has a NP205, C-6, 351M and a decent looking interior so I might have a go anyway.

I had a 78 xlt ranger (luv the square hlights) with a 2" lift but sold it back around 1994 to get a "more civilized" 88 EB.
Worst. Decision. Evar.
Now I have two ch*vys. Itsa slippery slope, mon amis.

Thanks for the kwik replies gents (and lady?), it is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
bmc69 said:

Yup, kind of like the 400 "big block" mystery engine that comes around every once in a while.:shocked

·
Registered
213 Posts
I think he finds it hard to believe that there might be ladies out there that not only drive Broncos but know what they're talking about as well Mel :)

You know you are kinda a rare breed ;)

I mounted 35s on my stock 78 with very little rubbing when I flexed it. Granted I wasn't do extreme things but some of it was a bit more then stockfriendly. :)

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,916 Posts
StormCaller said:
I think he finds it hard to believe that there might be ladies out there that not only drive Broncos but know what they're talking about as well Mel

You know you are kinda a rare breed...
No way! You mean all girls don't know this kinda stuff? :toothless

I figured he was just questioning me being a "lady" in which case I consider myself 'just a girl.'

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BroncoBabe, sorry to offend...in my extensive travels on these internets, you are indeed a rarity on a domestic brand truck forum.

Interesting choice of avatar, though. The female form is the shiznit, huh?

·
Registered
213 Posts
BroncoBabe said:
No way! You mean all girls don't know this kinda stuff? :toothless
Only the ones worth dating and perhaps keeping around for a while :thumbup

BroncoBabe said:
I figured he was just questioning me being a "lady" in which case I consider myself 'just a girl.'
Well I think he was just trying to be all polite and stuff :toothless

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,916 Posts
melbertbloosfan said:
BroncoBabe, sorry to offend...in my extensive travels on these internets, you are indeed a rarity on a domestic brand truck forum.
Oh, not offended, I just found it curiously funny. :toothless
Interesting choice of avatar, though. The female form is the shiznit, huh?
Oh definitely, especially when spred over the engine of a race car.

StormCaller said:
Only the ones worth dating and perhaps keeping around for a while
Heh, thanks.
Well I think he was just trying to be all polite and stuff
I'm just not used to it I 'spose. Espeically after being "one of the guys" for so long. :toothless

Oh and...

·
Registered
188 Posts
33's fit perfectly even with flexing, thats what i have on now a set of 33 1250 tsls and they've never rubbed on me

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm also running 33x12.5 MTR's with no problem rubbing offroad. Of course I haven't disconnected the sway bars and tried flexing it yet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts