Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am a newb and posted in the introduction area. My Dad and I picked up a 78 rust free AZ truck to build as a project and we are looking for a 4" lift kit thats available with dual shock mount for the front and new leafs for the rears. I don't think the dual shocks are definetely needed, but Dad suggested it... Pro's /cons to the dual shock set up? 4" is an ample size, we are running 33's now and will possibly change to 35's but with a 4" its going to be a tight squeeze into the garage.

Any brands you all suggest or have had personal experience with, or heck some brands to stay away from?
Price really is not a huge concern, although would like to stay less than $1000 if possible.

truck pictured below on day of purchase.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v618/cornfedwhitey/?action=view&current=Picture025.jpg

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
A 4" kit can be had for about 700. Check JeffsBroncoGraveyard.com for kits. 4" lift will clear 35's easily. Unless you have dual shocks stay with a single shock up front. There is no need to convert to a dual shock. With the technology the new shocks have a single shock work's fine.

·
www.lifted4christclub.com
2,708 Posts
can't go wrong with most of the lifts, most are high quality now. i would stick with single shock, that is all you'll need unless you are going to be jumping it all the time. you'll get a better street ride with single shocks up front. i'd spend the money and stay away from a block in the rear, either do 2 add a leafs or buy 4" lift spring pack for rear. i would replace all bushings with poly. bushings up front too. i've seen lifts for really good prices on ebay.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Let me be the first to suggest Cage. The Bentley of lifts.

Check out Crazed Supermotors page to see the eye candy quad shock from Cage.

·
2,708 Posts
the cage lift is the best, but unnecessary unless you are goign to do some serious wheeling, but if your rig will see mostly pavement, the others will do. but yes, if you can afford it, go with the cage.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
A Cage lift is not more expensive than brand X type lifts.

I know what he means. My 2 inch lift is a tight squeeze into the garage.

·
2,708 Posts
when i priced the cage lift, it was over 1000 bucks, you can get a basic 4" lift for 700

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys.. I was looking at Superlift.They offer a replacement rear leaf and 4 inch front for about 650-700 shipped with shocks.. I will steer clear from the dual shock upgrade.

thanks!

·
2,708 Posts
no problem, oh, and welcome. feel free to ask any questions on here, really great group on here with ton's of knowledge

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no problem, oh, and welcome. feel free to ask any questions on here, really great group on here with ton's of knowledge
Well sir, you opened the door so I am going to step my size 15 shoes in and ask something..

Any complications with installing a 77 F150 grill and turn signals instead of the 78 style I have? I always loved the 77 grill on the trucks.. What would I need to change or alter to make that bolt up? Any ideas?:beer

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Only thing you need to do is replace the headlight buckets and drill new holes for them. Everything else is a bolt on deal.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Yeah the Cage 4 inch kit is 887 at jack-it.

Heard some horror stories about Jeff's in the recent past. It was alleged their shipping & packing not up to par. That & mismatched parts.

I would confirm over the phone ALL items are in stock & that your kit will be shipped complete. (From whatever vendor).

I would get me a pair of the F-250 upper shock mounts (front) & order shocks accordingly. (Eyes top & bottom).

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The cage lift is about $650.00, however does not show what it includes on their site.. I don't know if it comes with shocks, drop pitman arm ot nothing? P#F14100

·
Registered
109 Posts
Have you compared the cost of the reverse shackle mount from Sky Manufacturing versus the relpacement rear leaves? You might be able to save some cash going that route, with new springs for the front as opposed to a full kit. Just thought I'd muddy the waters a bit :)

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have you compared the cost of the reverse shackle mount from Sky Manufacturing versus the relpacement rear leaves? You might be able to save some cash going that route, with new springs for the front as opposed to a full kit. Just thought I'd muddy the waters a bit :)

Got a link?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What's the advantage to this "cage" brand over the others? It was only $629.00 plus freight.. Thats affordable!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
A partial list of parts you MIGHT need.

drop pitman arm
longer brake hoses
Adjustable track bar
C bushings (you WILL need)
longer shocks
drop track bar upper bracket

From the jack-it website I sent you to:

Standard kit. Most coil springs are made by Deaver regardless of what brand name is on them.

Standard Package:

Front Skyjacker Coil Springs
(4) Pro Comp Shocks w/ black boots
(2) Rear Skyjacker Add-a-Leafs (1.5"-4" Only)
(2) Rear Blocks (6"-9" Only)
U-bolt Kits
Stainless Steel Brakelines (3.5"-9" Only)
Sway Bar End Link (3.5"-9" Only)
Track Bar (3.5"-9" Only)
Pitman Arm (3.5"-9" Only)
Drag Link (9" Only)
Radius Arm Drops (9" Only)

Deluxe package adds:

Radius and Track Arm Bushings
Pro Comp Steering Stabilizer w/ Black Boot
Tie Rod Bushings (6"-9" Only)
Stainless Steel Brake lines (6"-9" Only)

Seems clear to me that the deluxe package is what you want - or else you have to go out & buy C bushings elsewhere.

See if other kits have the brake lines , drop pitman arm like this one does.

If you don't need or want a steering stabilizer get the standard package & order C bushings separately.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A partial list of parts you MIGHT need.

drop pitman arm
longer brake hoses
Adjustable track bar
C bushings (you WILL need)
longer shocks
drop track bar upper bracket

From the jack-it website I sent you to:

Standard kit. Most coil springs are made by Deaver regardless of what brand name is on them.

Standard Package:

Front Skyjacker Coil Springs
(4) Pro Comp Shocks w/ black boots
(2) Rear Skyjacker Add-a-Leafs (1.5"-4" Only)
(2) Rear Blocks (6"-9" Only)
U-bolt Kits
Stainless Steel Brakelines (3.5"-9" Only)
Sway Bar End Link (3.5"-9" Only)
Track Bar (3.5"-9" Only)
Pitman Arm (3.5"-9" Only)
Drag Link (9" Only)
Radius Arm Drops (9" Only)

Deluxe package adds:

Radius and Track Arm Bushings
Pro Comp Steering Stabilizer w/ Black Boot
Tie Rod Bushings (6"-9" Only)
Stainless Steel Brake lines (6"-9" Only)

Seems clear to me that the deluxe package is what you want - or else you have to go out & buy C bushings elsewhere.

See if other kits have the brake lines , drop pitman arm like this one does.

If you don't need or want a steering stabilizer get the standard package & order C bushings separately.

WOW man, thanks for the help! Deluxe is what I need

1 - 20 of 73 Posts