Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the weekend I removed the power steering gear box to replace all of the seals. In order to do this you have to remove the pitman arm. All the seals have been replaced and the box is back in the truck hooked up bolted to the frame.... My issue is I didn't mark the gear box and pitman arm when I pulled the pitman arm. I'm having difficulties trying to figure out how to put the pitman arm back on the gear shaft in order to attatch it to the tie rod. Can anyone help?

:banghead

·
Registered
461 Posts
It should be keyed so that you can only turn it in quarter turn increments. Steer the box to full left and right lock and find, more or less, the center (just get close.) Put the the pitman arm on so that it points forward (or more or less forward - you were just getting close enough) Check to make sure it points right when you turn right, left when you turn left and center appears to be correct - bolt it up.

Hope you set your perload right on that box.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Adjusting Preload

It should be keyed so that you can only turn it in quarter turn increments. Steer the box to full left and right lock and find, more or less, the center (just get close.) Put the the pitman arm on so that it points forward (or more or less forward - you were just getting close enough) Check to make sure it points right when you turn right, left when you turn left and center appears to be correct - bolt it up.

Hope you set your perload right on that box.
I'm sure that's the problem. I'm not sure how to set the preload?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
There is a screw on the top with a jam nut. Used to set freeplay.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Well - here's the procedure that Fourwheeler has in an Article:

"32. The final step is to adjust the sector-shaft tension. To begin, center the steering on the high point. Adjust the screw until the box steers freely except for slight touching at the center point. From there, back the screw off about 25 degrees and tighten the locknut."

There is a more complicated procedure that requires a special tool but maybe their method is worth a try.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts