Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

121 - 140 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT, 12V P-Pump Cummins, ZF5, Dana 60 Front, Sterling 10.25 Rear
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Yeah I was going to rhinoline the inside of mine but the more I think about it the more sound deadening material+vinyl carpet makes sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I considered the rhinoline myself but as rust free as this thing was, it didn't seem like money well spent. I feel pretty confident in the Rust Protection spray I used.

·
Registered
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT, 12V P-Pump Cummins, ZF5, Dana 60 Front, Sterling 10.25 Rear
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
AZ sounds terrible. lol

I think we're about 30 degrees cooler than you right now. We'll hit triple digits eventually, but probably not until July.
Man you don't know how jealous I am haha. I had that a few weeks ago and it was a dream. I was sweating like a pig yesterday, especially lining the Bronco. AND I had a fan lol.

I want to make my way up to Idaho one of these days. Seems like its got some fantastic scenery.

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,691 Posts
Man you don't know how jealous I am haha. I had that a few weeks ago and it was a dream. I was sweating like a pig yesterday, especially lining the Bronco. AND I had a fan lol.

I want to make my way up to Idaho one of these days. Seems like its got some fantastic scenery.
Yeah, I'm enjoying it while it lasts.

The further north you go in Idaho the better the scenery in my opinion. Southern Idaho where I am is a lot of lava rock and sage brush. My younger brother likes to go up to the Anderson Ranch Reservoir area (closer to Boise) and camp. We were talking about that yesterday and how nice it probably is up there. Then we realized everyone else here is probably thinking the same thing with this quarantine thing going on and we both figure that area's going to get ruined in the next week or two.

Anyway, every area has its own beauty in its own way.

That Cummins sure is coming along! I know how you feel about wanting OE branded parts and having to take a chance on something else. I think the water pump that's on my 460 is a Gates. The Motorcraft one was easily 2-3x the cost.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Yeah I considered the rhinoline myself but as rust free as this thing was, it didn't seem like money well spent. I feel pretty confident in the Rust Protection spray I used.
I've got a bit of surface rust and some pin holes I'll be cutting out to weld fresh metal in, seems to be happening mainly where the bed of the trucks drops to the normal cab floor. A few coats of POR15 ought to do it before I put sound deadener and vinyl on top. How much did both of that run you for the whole truck?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
So I paused on that because I was able to convince my dad to come over and help throw the cylinder head on. I told him it’d probably take an hour. Uhhh not quite.

One of my first purchases when I bought the engine was the ARP head bolt set. These Cummins engines don’t have many weak points but when you start pushing the power the head gasket can be a problem.

It’s a good thing I had my dad over. I was pretty beat at this point in the day and was considering not chasing the threads before installing these. Let me tell you, that would have been a colossal mistake. Took us probably an hour and a half or 2 hours to fully clear everything out. Most came out like this.

It was really annoying clearing, cleaning, repeat. Not to mention I like surgery level cleanliness in my cylinders and deck surface and this process got gunk everywhere. So after that process and getting everything cleaned to my standards we got to measure the studs to ensure they fit in there properly. The studs are supposed to protrude 6.615 from the deck surface and they looked spot on. So we threw the gasket on.

Then we dropped the head on. That sucker is heavy! I think it’s in the 150 range. Trying to drop it on without pinching any fingers is a task haha.

I ponied you for Power Driven Diesel’s hardened pushrods. Applied assembly lube to both ends of the rod and inserted into the tappets.

Then we put in the rest of the studs. There’s 3 different sizes and it seems more complicated than it is. The longest go on the intake side, middle in the middle and the shortest on the exhaust side. Each stud got ARP’s assembly lube.

Next was the rockers. I put assembly lube at on the valve tips as well and the corresponding part on the rocker.

The ARP studs require machining on the rocker where the tall stud sits. Where the step is is normally flat.

Luckily I was able to find a used set on Facebook for $200. I was quoted from one machine shop $350 to do it so I was pretty happy with it.

You have to make sure you line up your rockers with the rods and once they are lined up loosen the lash nut all the way. That way you don’t bind up and have inaccurate torque values.

The ARP directions leave a little bit to be desired when it comes to the torque values. Basically it tells you to follow the 3 stages like in the manual but up to 125 for the studs. Our interpretation was 66, then 89(which is where the stock stops at), and then up to 125.

I’m sad to report my Quinn Torque wrench kicked the bucket at this point! This was literally the job I’d bought the thing for! I busted out my $10 HF unit to finish up.

I still need to torque the rocker hold down bolts down but it was 9pm at this point so we called it a day haha!

All in all a pretty productive day

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Yeah, I'm enjoying it while it lasts.

The further north you go in Idaho the better the scenery in my opinion. Southern Idaho where I am is a lot of lava rock and sage brush. My younger brother likes to go up to the Anderson Ranch Reservoir area (closer to Boise) and camp. We were talking about that yesterday and how nice it probably is up there. Then we realized everyone else here is probably thinking the same thing with this quarantine thing going on and we both figure that area's going to get ruined in the next week or two.

Anyway, every area has its own beauty in its own way.

That Cummins sure is coming along! I know how you feel about wanting OE branded parts and having to take a chance on something else. I think the water pump that's on my 460 is a Gates. The Motorcraft one was easily 2-3x the cost.
Gotcha okay yeah. Still catching some of Utah and our(AZ) desert terrain it sounds like. I dated a girl from Sandpoint and she’d show me pictures. Always looked like the greenery and lakes I dream of. And cheap.

Yeah I’m sure it’s beautiful right about now. Same problem here with Flagstaff for us. Everyone’s flocking you’re there right now lol.

You’re very right about each place having it’s own beauty. Wasn’t a big fan of the desert terrain until I moved here. Still don’t love it, but admire aspects of it for sure.

It’s getting there for sure! Starting to look like a real engine and getting me more amped to get it inside the frame and driving!

Yeah I feel like you have to constantly skate the line on price/quality. Motorcraft and Cummins for that matter definitely charge you for the logo on most things I feel like. Gates and respected names like that I feel pretty good about for sure.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
I've got a bit of surface rust and some pin holes I'll be cutting out to weld fresh metal in, seems to be happening mainly where the bed of the trucks drops to the normal cab floor. A few coats of POR15 ought to do it before I put sound deadener and vinyl on top. How much did both of that run you for the whole truck?

Oh yeah that should do the trick right there for sure. Yeah where you live I’d definitely be making that a priority.

For the Noico and deadener I think I’m a little over $200. Money well spent if you ask me. Hoping to have the comforts of a modern truck when all is said and done and those 2 should keep out most vibrations and sound from the Cummins and road noise. I hope anyways haha.

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,691 Posts
Those are some thick pushrods. Look like they're nearly the size of my pinky.

Gotcha okay yeah. Still catching some of Utah and our(AZ) desert terrain it sounds like. I dated a girl from Sandpoint and she’d show me pictures. Always looked like the greenery and lakes I dream of. And cheap.
Yeah, Sandpoint is way north, almost Canada.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Those are some thick pushrods. Look like they're nearly the size of my pinky.

Yeah, Sandpoint is way north, almost Canada.
Oh yeah they are, just about anyway. Don’t look like they’ll be bending anytime soon

And makes sense about the greenery up there. One day.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Got a little more done Noico wise yesterday. I removed the fuse box and emergency brake pedal so I could do it right and put a layer behind them. Not the funnest work but I’m hoping it’s worth it when everything gets back together.

Ran out of the Noico at this point. I’d suggest 3 boxes At least to anyone who is trying to cover the WHOLE cab. I saved the worst part for last the wheel wells and quarter panels. They’re such a pain with all the curves and angles.

I did switch over to roof flashing you can pick up at Home Depot or Lowe’s. My dad did his truck with it about a year ago and it definitely made a difference. He had 5 rolls left over that’d been sitting in my shed since then so I figured I’d try them before ponying up another $65 for a box of Noico. It looks to be about the same thickness as the Noico as well.

Hoping to finish that up today and then get prepped on some of the interior work I’ll be painting. I’ve never used anything other than a rattle can before so I’m planning to get some practice in on some cardboard. I watched a lot of Kevin Tetz’s stuff on YouTube as well as some others and I feel like I have an understanding of the basic techniques in the very least. Luckily there’s not much to the interior besides the dash, the b-pillars and the roof. We’ll see how it goes.

·
Registered
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400/C6 92 K documented miles &1994 Bronco,XLT 85K original miles
781 Posts
Yeah I was going to rhinoline the inside of mine but the more I think about it the more sound deadening material+vinyl carpet makes sense

You'll like the Noico....

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Going to be 101 here in Vegas tomorrow. First 100 day of the year.
Definitely not Bronco wrenching weather. I’m sweating my ass off haha. Yep it’s 101 here today and been 100 all week. Lame!

·
Registered
1989 Bronco XLT 351W with C6, manual locking hubs. 6” suspension lift with 35” Cooper tires
309 Posts
Man I can’t wait to use this stuff on my interior. I plan on tearing my interior out soon and doing that, replacing drivers seat bracket and then painting the seat frames and what not. Wanting it to look brand new lol. I was going to buy “peel and seal” from Lowe’s but while doing a little reading through google search, it’s got terrible reviews due to smell and apparently failing overtime and tar running everywhere. I would be pissed!

·
Registered
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400/C6 92 K documented miles &1994 Bronco,XLT 85K original miles
781 Posts
Man I can’t wait to use this stuff on my interior. I plan on tearing my interior out soon and doing that, replacing drivers seat bracket and then painting the seat frames and what not. Wanting it to look brand new lol. I was going to buy “peel and seal” from Lowe’s but while doing a little reading through google search, it’s got terrible reviews due to smell and apparently failing overtime and tar running everywhere. I would be pissed!

No smell here. At least not yet.

·
Registered
1989 Bronco XLT 351W with C6, manual locking hubs. 6” suspension lift with 35” Cooper tires
309 Posts
No smell here. At least not yet.
Yeah that’s why I’m going with Noico and not that roof stuff. I assume the asphalt base is what’s doing it? With the highs here getting in the triple digits, I could see the roof stuff getting soft on vertical surfaces.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
For what it’s worth my dad put his, the Lowe’s stuff, 2 years ago here in AZ and hasn’t had any smell issues. I do think it’s worth buying the Noico though. The bigger sheets are worth it alone.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #140

Alright I think I’m calling it finished as far as the deadening goes. I’m pretty happy with how it turned out. Gonna have to figure out how to find the holes for those damn armrest brackets though. Any advice @desertbronco?

Since I wrapped that up I had my dad over to help me fab up the brackets for the Vintage Air system. Nothing crazy just used the 18 gauge I had from welding the A/C box hole. Cut the strips we needed and drilled appropriately.

Drilled a couple of holes and used some locknuts. Doesn’t look like it’s going anywhere soon but I will be keeping an ear out for vibrations once this thing actually gets moving.

121 - 140 of 174 Posts