Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual hubs
967 Posts
Think I figured out one reason the blinkers are not working. Need to connect this to the other end.
View attachment 176545
can make sense :)

but the brake light circuit is a different one, there are 1 or if the car had cruise control 2 different switches around the brake pedal lever.

I had big problems with my hazard circuit, it was simply not working, even blinkers and brake lights were doing this perfectly.
I ended up installing new electric part in the steering colum, that has this connector at the end from above picture, There are 3 different ones existing, so maybe the PO installed a wrong one?

When I finally got the correct one, everything was working no problem.

and yes tracing wires mostly make sense one at a time.

Looks like a nice project truck, lucky not to have it too rusty, only surface.

But why not install the grill? The mesh does somehow look like a cheap farmer "fix" - if fix it the correct word....

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
This one came with a new plastic grill, my plan is to build a brush guard an bumper for the front. The custom grill will match with that look. The front assembly is a cheap replacement it’s not aluminum it’s chrome covered plastic. My grandsons are helping me design the changes. So if they can dream it Grampa is going to build it or at least try to. It’s final plan is to be a solid hunting truck, built to get us in and out of hunting land safely. A winch will go on the front, a truck crane is getting installed in the right rear corner to lift game into the truck. The interior will be all covered with bedliner and heavy duty truck bed liner. So as you can see this will not be a show truck but a true work horse.

Reactions: simrokkzz

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
This melted wire runs to the fuse panel position #7 covers dome, cigar, courtesy lights

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual hubs
967 Posts
Looks you have some seriuos wiring to repair. maybe best will be - due to your planed purpose - lean out everything you do not really need. That may prevent failing stuff that is not needed in the end.
The idea of a hunting rig is cool, I plan to use the truck not for show either, want to take my dogs out in the forrest and get to areas you would have to take long walks if you have no motor supporting.
But I wanted to have a carpet and the car looking nice, inside at least. outside - partly its original paint, partly it was overpainted - and really bad in a wrong white color.... anyhow, get the whole harness out of yours and repair what's needed.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Wiring is time consuming to chase each wire follow the diagrams. Some are simply repair. A few of these are well as you can see need a bit more

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The deeper I dug into this the worse it was looking. I’m looking at doing a restomod hot rod turn signal flasher kit with stop light. Yes this will lean out the wire mess under the dash a good bit. When I get the parts listed I will post pics and the clean up, and install

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
ok, do it, I was trying to reuse most of the original harness and soon have to lean it out to whats really needed.

Looking forward to update pictures, you know pictures tell stories....

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Finally got some work done. Setup the restomod fuse panel.

Connected the head lights running lights fuel pump and ignition.

now I can start pulling some mess the engineer left in here.

the last guy left me a mess. So I’m leaning things out. More to come. I’m nursing my back so it will be slow going.

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
wow, lots of wiring done. Great !!!

--> But did you put fuel pump, head lights, and running lights on 1 relay or are there 3?

I do have 2 extra relays, one for the holley sniper fuel pump and another one for the fans. from my understanding I would need a 2nd fan relay if I want to have different starting temps for each fan (The sniper can steer 2 fans with different temps)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
wow, lots of wiring done. Great !!!

--> But did you put fuel pump, head lights, and running lights on 1 relay or are there 3?
Thank you!

Have the headlights and running lights on two (left and right) probably overkill but I was following instructions. The fuel pump is on separate one. One for the rear window. Limiting the live connections trying to keep the parasitic draw as close to zero as possible. Modified the dash cover. This one was cracked in several places and someone did a real hack job installing a stereo. I’m deaf so replacing the stereo with light switch panel to run the light bar, cabin, backup, and cutoff solenoid for the winch.

It did come with a nice stereo with remote.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hey gang my plan is working check this out. Zero parasitic draw! Of course there are no courtesy lights or radio memory or clock draw. But I like the reading.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Ok gang cutout all the rat wire and tied things back up pretty much like it should be. It’s a lot leaner than it was. I’ve have some extra connections stashed underneath the dash for future use. May add a restomod AC unit at some point.

Now to get back on preparing the interior for primer and bedliner.

Edited

Forgot to add a picture of the dash with the lights working.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Have the floor and interior all super clean. Went a little crazy with a grinder and then a pressure washer and scrubbed everything. Stripped it clean and degreased it all. Tomorrow will start masking off to get ready for primer.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
pictures pictures my friend :)
Your right this needs pictures! Used degreaser on everything. It’s still a ways from where I want it to be. My twin grandsons tell me it needs stripes one says Zebra the other says Tiger. Thinking about Black and Tan so Tiger stripes may be the way to go.
Here are a few pictures of it clean.

why you should wear a respirator when you’re sanding and grinding. Put a clean outer filter next to it for comparison..

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
it looks great!

even the purpose is some kind of hunting rig, why not put the center chrome lines in....

tiger stripes? Oh Boy.... :)

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,670 Posts
Bronco is looking good..that is one helluva a wiring job, hats of to you for having the patience to see that through..it would have driven me nuts..

I know what you mean using a respirator for sanding and grinding. there was a period of time when I didn't, then realized all that s**t that was in my nose was probably going to find it's way into my lungs..started wearing one eve since.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Bronco is looking good..that is one helluva a wiring job, hats of to you for having the patience to see that through..it would have driven me nuts..

I know what you mean using a respirator for sanding and grinding. there was a period of time when I didn't, then realized all that s**t that was in my nose was probably going to find it's way into my lungs..started wearing one eve since.
Yeah I'm coming to the same conclusions in welding class... realizing how much nasty shit is in that smoke. Off to find a good respirator today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Storms are on the way! I’m working on this project outside have all the weather strips pulled so I have it wrapped in a tarp to try an keep as much rain out and off that freshly prepped metal as possible.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts