Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Bronco is looking good..that is one helluva a wiring job, hats of to you for having the patience to see that through..it would have driven me nuts..
Thanks It was driving me nuts. Until reviewing all the light socket connections. The engineer had them all wired incorrectly. The hot on all them was connected to the ground the ground was on both hots on a 3 wire plug with the second hot tied to ground. Found why the wiring shorted out the hot leads from the fuse panel, the AC controls, rear window were all grounded to the body and frame. The original fuse panel was burned in a few places making it unserviceable. So I added the restomod wiring harness. Yes I pulled all new wire from end to end. Y’all would not believe all the melted wires I pulled from this Bronco.

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual hubs
1,062 Posts
sounds like an electric experiment you may want to do not in a car.... usually in school, to simulate a "short" within physics or something.

sure the PO was not 9 or so? :)

good luck with the rain, I did the same, when I took of all weatherstripping roughly 1 year ago, and had to wait until my big box from JBG arrived.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
sounds like an electric experiment you may want to do not in a car.... usually in school, to simulate a "short" within physics or something.

sure the PO was not 9 or so? :)

It was kind of fun, frustrating at first. After I found the sources of the potential electrical fires. As bad as this wiring was burned and melted, the original fuse panel was melted at several connections. It’s all safe now. It’s lean just the items needed for the moment. Have extra connections bundled under the dash and everything is labeled for any future connections.

if someone takes on a wiring project similar to this, have lots of patience, don’t rush.

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual hubs
1,062 Posts
did you finally buy a new harness for the Bronco or fabb'ed it all yourself?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
did you finally buy a new harness for the Bronco or fabb'ed it all yourself?
It’s a restomod hot rod harness. Comes with a new fuse panel, which I mounted next to the original, all wires labeled then added a hot rod blinker assembly. This in combinations with spools of wire all the correct color. Most of the original wiring under the dash was melted together and deep fried. The original fuse panel in the 78 was burned in several places leaving it unserviceable. Total including all new connectors light sockets was less than $300. Did drop the fuel tank low enough to replace the wires. Trust me with about 8 gallons in it, requires 2 people a hydraulic lift and is a pain in the butt.

Reactions: canuckistan97

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Maybe I need this as well, basically I have and engine harness for the sniper and its accessories.
Then I have the harness for lights and rear window and heat, but nothing is connected, as I took out the A/C box and replaced the hole in firewall with a plate.
Even though I want to install a heater box, but only for warm air to the feet, to have some kind of heating in that rig.

At this moment I would not know what else I can need, but surely the harness is not leaned out (cruise control still in etc.)

The only cross I need to do is going from ignition to starter relais and distribute from there.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Maybe I need this as well, basically I have and engine harness for the sniper and its accessories.
Then I have the harness for lights and rear window and heat, but nothing is connected, as I took out the A/C box and replaced the hole in firewall with a plate.
Even though I want to install a heater box, but only for warm air to the feet, to have some kind of heating in that rig.

At this moment I would not know what else I can need, but surely the harness is not leaned out (cruise control still in etc.)

The only cross I need to do is going from ignition to starter relais and distribute from there.
Yes I need to do it for mine as well, all my wires are either spliced very poorly or cracked and brittle. Was looking at the full rewiring kits but they're $1000 so very expensive but if he says it can be done for $300.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
Finally got to spray some bed coating on the interior rear roof. I know a lot of people would have pulled it however I pulled the trim and bolts. Didn’t want the roof seals to break loose. Covered it with a tan colored bed coating, yessir I’m copying a color a friend sprayed on his, simrokkzz. Going to spray the exterior of the roof with the same same color and product. The product is Rustoleum spray on bed coating in tan.

sorry I’m so slow but I am still nursing this back.

Reactions: simrokkzz

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Got everything thing masked off. Started spraying primer and then Rustoleum bed coating and yes I’m covering everything but the glass..

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
need to do it for mine as well, all my wires are either spliced very poorly or cracked and brittle. Was looking at the full rewiring kits but they're $1000 so very expensive but if he says it can be done for $300
It’s a restomod hot rod wiring harness. Cool thing is all the wires are labeled, and are connected to the correct fuses, add some relays for headlights rear window, it has relay fora restomod AC if you go that route. Pulled all new wire for what I was using, cut out what I didn’t need or wasn’t going to use again. Did not accomplish all of this in a single weekend spent about two weeks out there pulling wire, testing, did not get in a hurry. Plus I had back surgery and have been nursing this back, so no bending or stooping. Either stand or sit on a stool while I work. Had to wait for my son to crawl under it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I’m learning my lesson, it’s best to leave the painting to the folks that know how and have the right equipment. I’m not saving a penny in fact it’s costing me more.

Luke I am not your Painter!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Finally have the interior sprayed with primer.. I am not a painter...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Been cleaning and preparing the seat brackets for paint. As soon as the bed coating has been sprayed and cured two seats are going in.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Finished applying the Rustoleum Bed Coating

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Have the front seat brackets cleaned may get them primed Friday. Was thinking of painting the exterior myself. Now I have come to my senses, I’m going to send it my buddy

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Ok reassemble of the interior is a good bit slower than tearing it all down. Have a 6’ piece of 6” pipe coming for the rear bumper. I’m about ready to take a break from playing with this.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Have multiple coats of sound deadening sprayed on the interior of the doors rear panels and tailgate. Got the floor mat in and that was not for a Bronco or truck of any kind so it has been shipped back. But I have found something that comes on a roll and it says can apply heat to it to conform to the contours. Once’s it fits then you trim it and only adhere the edges. Comes on roll 7.5’ x 10’. Should be enough to cover the front. Will post pictures and more information when it arrives.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
you always say you are slow

you are moving like roadrunner nowadays. big progress!!!

top color with that black looks great, well done!!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Thanks buddy, take a picture of the those brackets I may have some extras in the shop if you need them

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Thanks buddy, take a picture of the those brackets I may have some extras in the shop if you need them
thanks Buddy! Just need to re-weld the ones I got on the 9inch!!

41 - 60 of 61 Posts