Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1978 Ford Bronco Ranger XLT, 76k original miles, (was) 1 owner
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is time to rebuild the steering columns in my '78 and '90 Broncos. During the rebuild of the '78 i want to replace the original turn signal switch due to age, more than the due to the performance of the switch.

I have found numerous switchs at LMC, NPD, Dennis Carpenter, and other places, and do not wish to skimp on this item, so want to make the best purchase for the money/reliability.

I wanted to ask the members in the Community who have replaced their turn signal switches what vendor they would recommend for reliability of their replacements. I will be starting this project next week, so i appreciate your suggestions so i can get this ordered and delivered.

I have purchased the steel bearings from eBay for both trucks, not wishing to skimp on the build.

Thank you for your advice.

·
Registered
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400/C6 92 K documented miles &1994 Bronco,XLT 85K original miles
938 Posts
I have a 78 with cruise and tilt. Bought the one from LMC. Installed and it worked for 12 months. Fortunately I kept the mfg PN. Shopped Amazon. Bought it for a few$ less but it broke after 4-5 months. Bought it again and after 4-5 months it's fine and my back up lights work.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 78 with cruise and tilt. Bought the one from LMC. Installed and it worked for 12 months. Fortunately I kept the mfg PN. Shopped Amazon. Bought it for a few$ less but it broke after 4-5 months. Bought it again and after 4-5 months it's fine and my back up lights work.
And i am assuming that Shee-Mar was the brand you purchased? Can you verify the OEM part number is: D8TZ-13341-A ?

24 months warranty from Shee-Mar and they have been in business since 1970, so expecting them to be the OEM.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual locking hubs
454 Posts
I replaces the lower steering bearing with the steel one, as you know.
but there is another one, just a far distance more up.

This one is broken in my column, I hear it scrunching all the time when using the steering, gotta take the whole column of and replace it one day.

·
Registered
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400/C6 92 K documented miles &1994 Bronco,XLT 85K original miles
938 Posts
And i am assuming that Shee-Mar was the brand you purchased? Can you verify the OEM part number is: D8TZ-13341-A ?

24 months warranty from Shee-Mar and they have been in business since 1970, so expecting them to be the OEM.

Thanks!
That's it! I can check thurs/fri when I get home.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's it! I can check thurs/fri when I get home.
That would be great. I am researching today so hope to find something in a book before then. Was hoping to have parts in-hand by Monday. Thanks for the help, I would not be this far without your knowledge.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That would be great. I am researching today so hope to find something in a book before then. Was hoping to have parts in-hand by Monday. Thanks for the help, I would not be this far without your knowledge.
So i purchased from RockAuto, same item, 24 month warranty, but $2 cheaper than Amazon, and i only have to deal with RockAuto not a 3rd party reseller at and Amazon when/if it goes bad. 1 week delivery, same as Amazon. Found some NOS but the prices were North of $140 with no warranty. I will give a review on reliability and whatnot later.

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
172 Posts
Yes, let us know how it works out. Mine work most of the time but just top working sometimes. I think I just fixed them by wiggling around parts of the column and the emergency flasher switch so I'm guessing I need a new switch also.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Good. I recently ordered a bunch of stuff from RA and even with shipping they were less than Amazon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts