Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advantages between a 78 and a 91. I might sell my 78 for a 91. I have invested alot in her, but there's just way too many things to replace/upgrade.

·
www.easttn4x4.com
2,191 Posts
The 78 has a solid front axle which is much tougher off road. Also the transmission and t-case are much tougher. If you are into off-roading definately keep the 78. If you are looking for a DD to take to the mall then go for the 91 with EFI, A/C, and other creature comforts.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
scapuchino said:
Any advantages between a 78 and a 91. I might sell my 78 for a 91. I have invested alot in her, but there's just way too many things to replace/upgrade.
Being a Texas boy myself, I can tell you there is one huge advantage to having a 78. It is emissions exempt!

Being close to Brownsville, you probably do not care about Air Check Texas, but it is heading your way in the next few years. With a 91, you will probably have to spend $300 a year to make it pass an emissions test, in addition to the $40 fee. With a 78, it is just $12.50 for the safety test.

As for the rest of it, the 78 is a stronger truck that the 91. If you are considering upgrades for the 78 based on strength, then the 91 will need even more upgrades. If you want the 91 for overdrive, EFI, and AC, and comfort, then you will be happy with a 91 over your 78. But bear in mind that an OD trans costs $$$$ to rebuild and efi is expensive to have worked on....if you don't do it yourself.

Good Luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts