Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1978 What bushing is this? I've looked up all kinds of parts diagrams and I guess I just don't know what I'm looking at. :whiteflag The bushings on both sides are completely gone. Thanks for taking the time to help

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Looks like your stabilizer bar(sway bar) link, but I don't see your stabilizer bar.
Is that piece in the pic just hanging there?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Steering stabilizer bushing, however your steering stabilizer is gone as well.

Oops, I see the stabilizer bar is there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot. Yeah I think everything is gone lol. Looks like the play in the steering starts right there at the Steering stabilizer bushing. I've got a lot of work to do looks like.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
First picture clearly shows the anti sway bar, underneath the axle, secured by a "U" bolt. It also shows the sway bar link bushings are shot!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the quick responses, I guess my front end rebuild has officially begun. Well almost, I've got to take it to the lake this evening. Everything is toast under there, I'm a motorcycle guy I've never done a front end before so I've got some reading to do. Thanks again this forum will be invaluable to me.

One reason I couldn't find the bushings is the new ones look completely deferent than the originals.

Lots of sunlight

Old top link bushings

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Steering stabilizer bushing, however your steering stabilizer is gone as well.
Neither of those pictures shows the steering stabilizer.

Considering it is in front of the cross member I have no idea how you could see if it is there or not to come to the conclusion he doesn't have one.

Saint mucus post a picture of the front of your axle.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright, this is good if I know what to buy I'm confident I can replace the worn parts so thanks for all the input.
Here's a few pics from the front. I can take more if needed.

Front

Passenger side

Drivers side

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Just from the pics;

tie rod ends look pretty new

steering stabilizer bushings are close to, if not toast

Pull your stabilizer loose, at the rod end and see how much resistence there is, pushing in and pulling out. If it goes in easily, then time to replace. Typically, the stabilizer will come with new bushings, just like shocks do.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Neither of those pictures shows the steering stabilizer.

Considering it is in front of the cross member I have no idea how you could see if it is there or not to come to the conclusion he doesn't have one.

Saint mucus post a picture of the front of your axle.
Actually the first pic does show the stabilizer, I just did not notice it :banghead

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay I've since replaced the drag bar and steering stabilizer and now I have a new "what's this" question. Here's a pic, I can move it around by hand easily so I guess its next. Looks like I'm going to be redoing this entire front end so which serves manual do you guys suggest?

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
That is called the track bar. Check the bolt that mounts to the axle, sometimes they get worn out and cause play. Best replacement for that is an Ingalls tapered bolt.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks. Looks like it's going to cost a little more than the $15 bucks for a bushing kit. I haven't even broke the nut loose and I can wiggle the bolt around by hand. Guess I need to read up on that tapered bolt.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah man after you told me what I was looking at and I got to reading about it the bolt hole is definitely worn. I'll be ordering the bolt you linked to and as for the reamer it looks like the forum favorite is the KD #2044 so I'll be looking for one of those too. Thanks again

EDIT: Well looks like the KD reamer is no more, hopefully I can barrow one from work if not the tool is going to cost more than the bolt and bushings together lol figures.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay I've got the Ingalls bolt ordered now for the reamer. The cheapest one I've found is from Speedway motors http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Tapered-Ball-Joint-Reamer-10-Degree,29005.html only problem is in one of the Q&A's this was asked

Question
"Is this reamer 10° or is it 9.56°. 2 inch taper per foot should be 9.56."

Answer
"This reamer has a 2" per foot taper. It is not a true 10 degree taper like you have referenced."

Will a 9.56 tapered reamer still work with the Ingalls bolt? I haven't ordered the reamer yet but as soon as I know it'll work I will.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts