Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:scratchhei have done a search and found nothing and i have studied the wiring diagram. my headlights do not come on and the parking lights stay on whenever the battery is connected. i have checked all the wiring between the light switch and the lights the are no blown fuses. could it be the lights switch? any ideas?:scratchhe btw they are brand new headlights the old one weren't bad after all.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
will the switch cause the parking lights to stay on at all time also??? they are on the same circuit or am i looking at the wiring diagram wrong??

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
replaced both the headlight and dimmer switch still no head lights and the parking lights and tail lights still stay on unless i unhook the battery... i think my next step is to replace the wiring and connectors to all of the lights...

·
Registered
455 Posts
replaced both the headlight and dimmer switch still no head lights and the parking lights and tail lights still stay on unless i unhook the battery... i think my next step is to replace the wiring and connectors to all of the lights...
Before you do that, examine the plug-in for the light switch very closely.
Your description indicates an open in the headlight circuit, and a short in the park/taillight circuit. It's very likely the wires are touching inside the light switch plug.....
It's an easy check if you have an ohmmeter.

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Before you do that, examine the plug-in for the light switch very closely.
Your description indicates an open in the headlight circuit, and a short in the park/taillight circuit. It's very likely the wires are touching inside the light switch plug.....
It's an easy check if you have an ohmmeter.
If the plug appears ok, the trace the wires.

·
Registered
409 Posts
do the lights stay on with the switch removed?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i unhooked the headlight switch and the parking lights stayed so i unhooked the dimmer switch and the parking lights still stayed... i need to get new leads for my multimeter or invest in a new one and i don't have time tonight to trace the wires i will probably get to that and/or any other suggestions on sunday.

·
press ALT+F4
4,279 Posts
Check the rear inside the back bumper area where the wiring harness usually gets butchered for trailer connecters.
Also check under the hood for the "trick" headlight relay some people think is cool.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
A quick check of my Ford electrical troubleshooting guide gave the following for "headlights fail, parking lights operate"

1. Make sure the switch is pulled out completly, then operate the dimmer switch.

2. If there is still no headlights, check for power at the dimmer switch connector terminal of wire 15 (yellow w/ black stripe)

3. If there is no power at dimmer switch connector terminal of wire 15 (y/bk), check for power at light switch terminal of wire 285 (brown).

4. If there is no power at light switch terminal of wire 285 (br), replace the light switch (which you've done).

5. If there is no power at dimmer connector terminal of wire 15 (y/bk), check for power at other two terminals.

6. If neither of these terminals have power, replace dimmer switch (done that as well).

7. If either of these terminals have power, perform the following procedures (in order) and make neccesary repairs until the problemis corrected...
a. check the wiring from the hot terminal of the dimmer switch to the headlights.
b. check splice 801, located behind the instrument cluster.
c. check the headlight filaments for continuity with the connectors plugged in. (you've replaced the bulbs)
d. check that each lamp socket is properly grounded.

Note: Troubleshooting guide says wire 15 is yellow/black but book shows it as red/yellow.

Splice 801 is a group of three green/black wires, one side goes to the high beam indicator light, one wire goes to the R/H headlight and the last wire goes to the dimmer switch.

Hope this helps out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts