Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my Bronco is a 78 w/400. I know that there is a different oil pan for the Bronco because the oil pump hump is in the middle instead of the front. Mine is unfortunatley the wrong one . I know this because it has a dent in it the exact same shape as the front axle . My quetsion is, is it possible I just have the wrong oil pan or is the motor probably a wrong replacemnent? Any suggestions on a remedy?
Also what is involved in changing the axles cover gaskets and tranfer case (gasket???). Any cleaning the gunk techniques?

·
www.lifted4christclub.com
2,708 Posts
for the axle cover gasket, just get a good putty knife or something to scrape all the old gasket off, make sure you cover the inside so you don't get junk inside the axle(aluminum foil works great, you can mold it how you want and stops stuff from getting in). get some brake clean to clean the gears, and i would use royal purple or some sythetic when you refill it. as for the t-case gasket, you'll have to be more specific on what gasket you are talking about.

·
Registered
712 Posts
My '78 is the same way, engine came from a '69 T-bird - the oil pan gots a dent exactly in the shape of the Panhard bar, but now with the 4" lift and just street driving those two shouldn't meet too often. So yeah, having the wrong pan is a perfect excuse to get a lift, tell your lady that you either lift the truck, or it self destructs :D

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
O yeah you have the wrong oil pan alright. You need a rear sump & a long tube.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
So yeah, having the wrong pan is a perfect excuse to get a lift, tell your lady that you either lift the truck, or it self destructs :D

Some of the best logic I've seen in a long time. Beats changing the pan and oil pickup hands down.:thumbup

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
How about 4 inch lift block motor mounts?

This is not exactly ROCKET SCIENCE!!! :twak

·
Registered
712 Posts
Some of the best logic I've seen in a long time. Beats changing the pan and oil pickup hands down.:thumbup
4 years in college, pushing 5 - think they should also give me a MSBS degree in addition to my BSME, seeing how by now I can bull my way through damn near any situation :D

·
Registered
712 Posts
Probably, I bet after you told him question should have been in the 78-79 forum he read your response and just posted it again where you recommended him to.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If i was to change the oil pan then i would have to get a new oil pump??? What would be needed to fix the problem w/o a lift?? If i did lift 4" what tire size should I run with stock gears and axles ?? I dont want to break anything but dont want to look goofy rolling on 31's. I am a newbie and any info would be welcome.
Also, yes i did post this in the General Tech first, sorry for posting it twice but I wanted an answer and now I know where to go. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
You may not need a new oil pump but you would need the proper oil pick up for the oil pan. I suggest that if you do replace the oil pan with the proper one, replace the oil pump as well. I suggest you go with a high volume oil pump.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I bought a 79 off a guy that had a blownup 460 in it. When I pulled the pan I found that it had crushed the oil pump pickup.

This pan was dented by both the trackbar and the front axle. Not only was the pan stuffed up into the pickup but the junction point between the screen part and the tube that goes to the pump was split open.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts