Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this on CarID's website and was curious if anyone has used this kit before?
It appears to be what I want for the Bronco I just want to make sure it's a decent lift.
I already have the shocks so the front springs and rear add a leaf is all I am missing.

·
Registered
335 Posts
If you don't mind the ride being noticeably rougher, it'll work fine.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Is Skyjacker synonymous with a rougher ride or something like that?
Their coils, at least on TTB Broncos, seem to be on the stiffer side. Any sort of add-a-leaf is going to make the ride rougher since you're making the leaf pack thicker and the add-a-leaf has to have enough additional force to push the rest of the spring pack into a new shape.

·
Registered
335 Posts
The stiffness of a coil spring is a product of its length (or the number of turns it makes, assuming the diameter of the turns is constant) and the thickness of the wire. Thicker wire = stiffer spring. Longer or more coils = softer spring. This seems counter-intuitive, because you would think that fewer coils makes for a weaker spring, but a spring is basically a torsion bar that has been coiled up, and a torsion bar will flex more the longer it is. This is why when cheap-ass dudes cut coils to lower their vehicle it ends up riding like shit.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The stiffness of a coil spring is a product of its length (or the number of turns it makes, assuming the diameter of the turns is constant) and the thickness of the wire. Thicker wire = stiffer spring. Longer or more coils = softer spring. This seems counter-intuitive, because you would think that fewer coils makes for a weaker spring, but a spring is basically a torsion bar that has been coiled up, and a torsion bar will flex more the longer it is. This is why when cheap-ass dudes cut coils to lower their vehicle it ends up riding like shit.
Makes sense. Being that BG's version of a "leveling kit" is out of stock and has been for awhile, are you aware of any other small lifts that might be a better option?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Makes sense. Being that BG's version of a "leveling kit" is out of stock and has been for awhile, are you aware of any other small lifts that might be a better option?
On both my '86 and '95 Bronco I installed some Moog "Cargo Control" springs that gave me an inch of lift up front. I'm not sure if they have anything similar for the 78-79 Bronco/73-79 F-150, but I'd check out their chassis parts catelog and see. If you want something in the 2" range, and you don't see yourself lifting much higher than that, I'd go for a set of custom coil from a custom spring shop.

·
Registered
1979 Custom, 6.6L Auto
77 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I saw this as well. My Bronco is equipped with quad shocks up front so I didn't pay much attention to it though. I wonder if RC would be willing to break the kit apart to just send the block spacers and the new coils. I will reach out to them. Thank you.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On both my '86 and '95 Bronco I installed some Moog "Cargo Control" springs that gave me an inch of lift up front. I'm not sure if they have anything similar for the 78-79 Bronco/73-79 F-150, but I'd check out their chassis parts catelog and see. If you want something in the 2" range, and you don't see yourself lifting much higher than that, I'd go for a set of custom coil from a custom spring shop.
I also thought about bringing it to a spring shop. That would probably be a cost efficient solution to my problem as well. I will see what Moog has as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts