Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
How did I get 6 Rigs??
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having the stuffing scared out of me on the ride home after buying the '79, I decided the first order of business should be to work on the
I brakes. Now I am not scared of getting my hands dirty and am pretty good on mechanical things, but I have not worked on cars much. I have never done a brake job....and only changed a few tires. When I pulled the drum off of the rear axel, here is what I found. A lot of gunk and what appears to be dirt soaked fluid. Any advice on what would cause this or what I should do. My gut reaction is to clean everything...but how? Do I need to take the rest of the stuff off and clean it. I have the pads offan and assume that I need to replace them. Should I have the drums turned?

I know that the advice will be to do the brake upgrade, and that will get added to the list. I have other fish to fry right now, and just want to work on getting the basics done before dumping a lot of $$ into it to make it "perfect".

Do they make brake kits, where I can replace all the springs and stuff, or what is the best way to proceed.

Attachments

·
car ramrod
Irate4x4 .com
601 Posts
You need replacement brake shoes and a hardware kit. Most autopart stores will have the hardware kit, it consist of springs, retainers, and I believe the adjuster cable as well. It also wouldn't hurt to get new adjusters. I would also get 2 cans of brake clean and some rags. Clean everything good with the brake cleaner and disassemble everything doing one side at a time so you have the other side to reference if you forget where something goes. I wouldn't bother with turning the drums if they are not out of round, and if they are, I would just replace them because they probably atleast 10 years old at this point.

The fluid at the bottom is from a wheel seal. To repair that (and I am not an expert on the 9 inch) you need to pull the shaft and have the old seal pressed off and the new one pressed on.

·
OMF
2,957 Posts
Use this as a guide to solve the leaking 9" rear end dilemma forever!!!! This is a must do if you are pulling the axle shafts.

·
How did I get 6 Rigs??
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback, I will get the brake kit and shoes. I took both of them apart, because when I was driving it home, I heard what sounded like lug nuts rolling around inside a wheel cover. When I took the drum off, one of the cables was missing and the guide was ****led and rolling around inside the drum. I took a lot of pictures, so hopefully between that and the guides I have, I can get it back together ok.

Should I replace the cylinders, since I have everything off?

·
OMF
2,957 Posts
For $10 each you might as well!

·
How did I get 6 Rigs??
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
1 - 9 of 9 Posts