Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1979 Ford Bronco Ranger XLT Trailer Special. 429/C6, Edelbrock 1405 600cc.
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently realized that the exposed metal in the interior of my 79 bronco is not the color - ‘medium gold metallic’ - used as the exterior paint; at first I thought it was. Now that I’m moving into the cab looking to fix some surface rust, I’ve realized I have the wrong paint.

The color in question is a green/grey/brown metallic... I’ve had zero luck matching it on my own. I’ve read a few threads who suggest asking a body shop to mix up the color custom -and I might have to resort to this at some point.

I have a 79 Bronco Ranger XLT with paint code UY. It has tan seats and carpet. I’ll attach a picture of the color I’m looking for but lighting can be tricky. I’m hoping someone already knows the color based on the seats/carpet.
Thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Weird. I thought mine was the same code and was the same inside and out. I'll try to check later today.
If you have time to check your interior paint color it would be much appreciated. You have a similar paint scheme to me, so you are a perfect member to talk with. Thank you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
“CORRECTION” my exterior pain code is ‘YU’ not ‘UY’ as mentioned in my OP.

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
244 Posts
Well, mine looks the same inside and out. The floors are the same as the outside of the door for sure. The dashboard looks like maybe it's a touch darker, but I think it's just lighting.

·
Registered
78 Custom - 460 - NP435 - NP205 - Sniper EFI - HyperSpark Ignition - 4.56 Gears - Front/Rear Lockers
2,016 Posts
I know it may be lighting, but your dash definitely appears to look different than the door jamb and it also looks the same as his ash tray. I'm assuming that's the ash tray anyway, not sure what else that small would be painted in the interior.

Weird stuff. I've had a few dentside trucks and the interior was always the same as the outside or one of the outside's two tone colors. Obviously I haven't seen them all, but that's been my experience. I also think it's interesting that Ford changes colors and uses the same color code. Y would have been Jade Metallic in previous years. My green truck has that Y code.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thnanks cwegga...

I must say, I don’t feel so bad about my mistakenly thinking the two colors where the same, now, because I think you’re doing it too 🥳.
If you take out your ashtray and hold it next to your body it will become clear that the colors are different - unless, of coarse yours is not like mine; however I think it is.
The ‘different’ color seems limited to the dash and the tailgate access panel.

And Doosenberry is correct, it is my ashtray in that original picture 👍

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
244 Posts
Here's another picture. I'm still not in line with your different colors theory. I wasn't there when they were building them, but I lean more towards a theory of different parts of the trucks being painted at different times and maybe different places and being different colors because of that. I'm sure sun fading/bleaching happens too and that is some of the difference between more vertical internal surfaces and outside surfaces that catch more sun.

Here's a picture that I see 5 different colors in. I'll agree that the dashboard and tailgate panel are darker than the outside, though for me it's the whole tailgate, maybe because I can see the signs of the factory carpeting/cover so mine may have been covered for a lot of it's life. I see I pretty much covered 4 with the number, you'll have to trust me that it is slightly different than the outside color.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's another picture. I'm still not in line with your different colors theory. I wasn't there when they were building them, but I lean more towards a theory of different parts of the trucks being painted at different times and maybe different places and being different colors because of that. I'm sure sun fading/bleaching happens too and that is some of the difference between more vertical internal surfaces and outside surfaces that catch more sun.

Here's a picture that I see 5 different colors in. I'll agree that the dashboard and tailgate panel are darker than the outside, though for me it's the whole tailgate, maybe because I can see the signs of the factory carpeting/cover so mine may have been covered for a lot of it's life. I see I pretty much covered 4 with the number, you'll have to trust me that it is slightly different than the outside color.

I see what you’re saying.... your ashtray does look to match (within reason) to you ‘body color’ where mine looks like a totally different paint to me.

your entire tailgate, access panel and and the outer edges seems to look pretty close to my mystery color. Although I can’t imaging Ford painting parts so willy-nilly.

So you’re thinking all these different shades are due to different amounts of sun damage and paint fade?

I should know more here soon, once I get the paint I ordered from AutomotiveTouchUp.com using my paint code. It’s been held up for almost a month now because of COVID. I was assuming it was going to match relatively well to my exterior; however, in light of your paint fade theory, I’m not so sure now. I’m hoping for two different paints, otherwise matching any of this will quiet possibly be more than I’m capable of doing at home.

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
244 Posts
Yeah, to add to the confusion. I've been using some color matched spray paint from Napa from the ford paint codes, M5624A I believe, and it doesn't match my Bronco. I don't know if it is a problem with getting the right kind of metal flake in a spray can, but it is a shinier gold that looks lighter colored. Not mustardy like the outside and inside of my truck, and no where near the dark color of my tailgate inside surface.

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
244 Posts
Or this one fits in with the different color theory. I know the dash pads are different from the rest of the interior. For example, mine is the brown/caramel color, but my interior is tan. Here's a truck that appears to be factory yellow/white, but has the same color dash as our trucks.

Maybe it is a totally different color, but just happens to be close to the same color.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cwegga, if you get a chance to confirm that Napa paint code, M5624A, I might swing by a Napa and see about getting my hands on some.

also, your link seems broken for me. I’m curious to see this truck you mention

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
244 Posts
Cwegga, if you get a chance to confirm that Napa paint code, M5624A, I might swing by a Napa and see about getting my hands on some.

also, your link seems broken for me. I’m curious to see this truck you mention
You probably had to be a member of the facebook group to see it. I downloaded it and edited it into the post. I'll check the paint tomorrow. I can take some pictures, where I put it on my Bronco and it doesn't match. That should be the Ford paint code. Napa could look them up and mix them from the Ford codes. The Pastel Sand (cream color) matches amazingly with my rig, but the darker gold is off.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
My 78 was originally brown and cream two tone, same scheme as you guys have, though the specific color options are slightly different I think. My understanding is that usually one of the exterior colors was the "same" as the interior color for two tone versions.
The interior brown in mine was different on every surface... dash, glovebox, ashtray, b-pillars, floor, tailgate were all slightly different, and you could tell from 5 ft away. It was definitely factory paint, as I sanded through it when prepping for re-paint. I was less concerned about matching the original color and chose M5247 to redo the interior, which is a tasteful (IMO) dark metallic brown. Its nice to have all the peices matching.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I might have found what I’m looking for... I can be sure yet but check this color chip sheet out I found online. I think we might have interior color code “T” on this sheet. Thoughts?
Edit: or maybe the med gold ‘V’.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also, checkout his document, dated 1979. If you look center of the page you’ll see a section where they discuss directions for mixing flat and semi-gloss for interior paint use. They list different interior parts, some to receive flat, while others semi-gloss... I get the impression they aren’t specifically discussing the bronco but perhaps the technique carried over thru all models at that time. Perhaps this explains the variance we are seeing in all our interior painted surfaces.

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
244 Posts
It could be that they had different interior colors and that's part of it. In my opinion my dash looks like the second Y and my tailgate looks like the third Y. I still think a lot of it is probably just sun fading.

Here's a picture of how well/not well the spray paint matches my paint. It will of course be even less of a match with the darker interior colors.

And here's the label Napa put on the can.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It could be that they had different interior colors and that's part of it. In my opinion my dash looks like the second Y and my tailgate looks like the third Y. I still think a lot of it is probably just sun fading.

Here's a picture of how well/not well the spray paint matches my paint. It will of course be even less of a match with the darker interior colors.

And here's the label Napa put on the can.

My local Napa just quoted me $45 a spray can of matched paint! Is that what you’re paying? Damn...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts