Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so this problem has been a plague for me. When I bought this truck it was not charging. I replaced the Alternator because the field wire terminal was rusted off. Used new wire and hooked it back up. Still not charging. So I went ahead and replaced the battery, external voltage regulator, and alternator belt.
It charged for a day or two at about 14.10 volts. Great. Well I checked it again the next day and it was overcharging at about 18 volts. Not great. A few days later it was not charging at all.
Today I pulled it in my shop and rechecked all my work. I went ahead and warrantied the voltage regulator. Didn't help. I cut off the harness to the regulator and just straight wired it with new terminals. Still wouldn't charge. I checked that my wires were wired right. I did a field test and disconnected the voltage regulator harness, put 12 volts to the field wire and bam, started charging at about 13.8-14.3 volts. Next i reconnected everything and used my power probe to apply 12 volts to the field wire and it was charging. So the problem was that somehow I wasn't getting a voltage reference to the field wire. Don't know why or what cause it, but to fix it i spliced the field wire into the signal wire on the starter silenoid. The one closest to the regulator. It is now charging at about 14.10: 13.70 with headlights, and 13.3 with headlights and electric fans running, but It's not wired the correct way. Anyone else had problems similar to this? Have I overlooked something?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Sorry, I only half followed what you did, but I'm obnoxious and will post anyway.
It seems that everything should work, and it is not. So I would like to suggest that you take a look at your grounds. They are the other half of an electrical circuit and are often overlooked.
Good luck.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To simplify all of what I said. The problem was.... I was not getting power to the "field" wire thus not allowing my charging system to work. I found a way to make it charge, but it's not the right way. I spliced my "field" wire( which is the orange wire from voltage regulator to back of alternator) into the signal wire from the starter solenoid. I could't figure out why I wasn't getting a voltage reference on that "field" wire. Who knows, it works, but I dunno for how long :)

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Yeah.. well I got that, and the fact that you Gerry rigged it. It is not hooked up properly, and I suspect that as it is hooked up the regulator may not protect the battery from overcharging, but I don't know. These older trucks had more fuseable links and fewer fuses than the newer ones, perhaps there is one in the circuit that would supply power to the field that is blown/burnt out. Look for where that field post should get power, and why it is not.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts