Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cry my caliper bracket on the passenger side is no good can any one help me find another one whether its new or used cant it no where.:cry

thanks
race4fn

·
No avatar required
10,956 Posts
Crazedatwork said:
Caliper bracket is NOT part of the knuckle on a 78-9
Doh, you're right. It bolts behind the spindle. I should know this I just had mine apart. :banghead

Sorry for the mis-information.

·
Premium Member
12,536 Posts
Why is your bracket no good? There really is not much to go wrong on them other than maybe busting the caliper slide bolt off in the bracket. That is an easy fix to.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yea what is wrong with it? more info and pics please?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bracket

the bolt broke off in there i drilled it then ran an extractor and it broke off in the bolt i took it to a machine shop and they cant get it out ill pick it up and take a pic later

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
broken bolt

good thought machine shop tore up the bottum side here is a pic guess i didnt explain the prob all the way

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the other side

the other side the only thing i can think of is to drill and tap the other side just worried about rotor clearance.

·
Premium Member
12,536 Posts
Drill and tap the other side. There are 2 notches on the caliper slide bracket. Take it to the machine shop and also take the caliper slide bracket with so they have an idea where to drill and tap at. You don't need a long bolt in there. All it is doing is securing the slide bracket from coming loose. With the tension that the spring clip puts on you could probably run it without the bolt.

Pictures don't work.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I had mine break off, then had an extractor break too. We tried drilling it, and while I went to get another braket off an axle my buddie had, my dad drilled a hole through, we tapped it, threw a bolt in, and voila, put it together and drove it 4 hours that friday morn, and 4 hours back sun. Has been fine it's been 2 years.....

So yea fix it right, but in the meantime...........do what ya have to do to get it on the road.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
what ever you do use the proper tapered bolt for the caliper.

I had just a regular bolt in mine on my bronco and after a year the bolt came out, then the caliper retaining clips, then the caliper. All while I was driving 70 mph.

·
Chicks dig my
1,423 Posts
this must be a common thing, I broke a bolt off last monday but haven't fixed it yet, but I got all the solutions that I now need. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Instead of starting a new thread I thought I would just revive this one since the pictures do not work. I picked up some caliper brackets for my '79 Dana 44 that I am converting from 8 lug to 5 lug for my sas. I noticed something as I was cleaning them today.

I am pretty sure that the modification talked about in this thread has already been done to one side of these caliper brackets.. I just need some verification before I find out that these are junk and not useable. Is this second hole drilled and tapped so that it can hold down the caliper bracket? Does it look like it is in the same spot as people's that have already done this?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts