Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

341 - 360 of 415 Posts

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual locking hubs
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #341
new engine without oil in it in a container?
not sure how good they can pack the engine, and due to loading and unloading, this cost would be around 800€ taking 4-5 weeks to arrive
flight price: I got a price of 1060€ now for airfreight, maximum 5 days between pickup at LEB and customs clearance in Germany.

So surely I go for the flight, I mean even the season is over in November when the engine may be ready, but I still have some hope left, it may be October.

have a lot of things to do now
buy engine crane
get out 400motor + trans
get rid of big a/c heater box
clean engine bay
paint everything nicely black matte
prepare for hydroboost
get C6 overhauled with a friend --> if any recommendation please let me know, if there is a good kit, or if I shall exchange some parts vs. better ones
when there is no engine and load on front axle I would like to change all rubber vs. urethane stuff I have around
install electric fuel pump setup
get the brackets for quad shock fabricated and install quad shocks finally

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual locking hubs
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #342
This Saturday morning I fiddled around with the distributor, turned it left, turned it right, at some point it sounds better but dies within 2-3 seconds.

when it dies it shoots lots of fuel up to hood.
Even this cleans the hood, it’s not satisfying.
I guess even I adjusted crank to TDC whilst installing new timing gear the timing between cam and crank is way off.
I have no ambition taking out this engine disassemble it to get it dialed just to encounter another problem after having it installed again - this would all only to bridge the time between the 460 to arrive.

will follow the Plan some posts up.
Need tire ramp and an engine crane for proceedings.

here‘s the fuel at the hood, really a lot

0666917E-2240-4CAE-9F51-65C7773E860D.jpeg

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #343
some update on the engine.
Kris sent me some update yesterday evening, and hell, its nice!! :love::love:

LEB does a pretty nice job there!!! Can only recommend them!! ;):cool::p

block is cleaned and hot tanked
heads are disassembled and ready for cleaning, some new parts are already there

speedpro pistons, Mahle rings, king main and rod bearings, durabond cam bearings, melling oil pump, Felpro gaskets, brass freeze plug set, stainless valves, new waterpump and thermostat and housing....

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #344
Weekend update time !!!! (all pictures just thumbnails, click to enlarge)

We / I have not been too busy here, but did some stuff:

I put the car on dollies, but these are not really good. it takes 3 guys to move the guys on the flat garage floor (its epoxy coated) - I did expect that I will be able to move it "alone" - one man show.

Then went ahead - draining coolant again, disconnect harness from lights and inner fenders, losening all bolts (2 rear lower bolts of fenders, 2 behind doors, 2 front inner fenders to firewall and 2 in front from body mounts for radiator support) and then:

Installed motorsport weight reduction:
177.jpg
We could take the whole mask of, it was a bit of a problem to losen the lower rear fender bolts with the brackets.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE TO GET NEW HARDWARE??? (did not find anything at JBG)

Simon being happy:
178.jpg

not so happy with front rad support body mounts, the metal sleeves are rottet into 1 piece, I will have to cut them with an angle grinder and try to recover them somehow. replancements are not available at the moment, however I read in another post, it shall be in 10 weeks..... will not be a help. in 10 weeks the new engine shall be in already.

179.jpg 180.jpg 181.jpg

Then I took of the ugly big AC box and fab'ed a metal plate (1,5mm coated steel). In this process I could get rid of a lot of old "open end" cables, of which I did not know where they belong, these were all out of the old AC harness.

When the engine is once out, I will repaint the entire engine bay and frame with primer and black satin paint, to have to clean at some point.
I plan to install "heat" later on, so may have to drill 3 holes in the plate (2 for heater core connection, 1 for heater motor).

182.jpg 183.jpg

Even we did some progress I can not cross out a lot from the list:

buy engine crane --- DONE (not arrived)
get out 400motor + trans
get rid of big a/c heater box --- DONE
clean engine bay
prepare for hydroboost
get C6 overhauled with a friend --> if any recommendation please let me know, if there is a good kit, or if I shall exchange some parts vs. better ones
when there is no engine and load on front axle I would like to change all rubber vs. urethane stuff I have around
exchange front radiator body mounts

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #346
@cwegga - true !!! :p

I received the QuickFuel 125 pump, relay harness and fittings from Summit.
man, this thing is big for a low pressure fuel pump.
I think I will not need a fuel pressure regulator, as the pump is made for low pressure and carbs.

184.jpg

I just had 1 hour yesterday but still some good progress I think:
First I took of the mis-used enegery suspension radiator body mount from the driver side traction bar (as I was missing 1 full rubber piece).

Then I figured out how I can replace the stock sleeves with a mix of big washers.
Not sure yet - and I forgot a picture - if I really need some sort of pipe in between the rubber.
I mean if I use a big screw and good washers the body mount will be clamped down, even if there is no inner "pipe" or sleeve in it.

Here's what I did apart from that:

185.jpg
I was able to get this rusty exhaust bolts and nuts out, exhaust is disconnected from manifold - even I had to use quite lots of power, it was possible without breaking anything

189.jpg 188.jpg

then I cut of the sleeve mix at the front body mount, and voila, with the heat and vibration of angle grinder, the parts fell into pieces....
but its really rusted badly. not going to save them.

187.jpg 186.jpg

to replace it it may be possible to CNC these parts from aluminium, but as described above, I will go with big M20 washers and long M12 stainless bolts hardware.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #347
So, well decided for the sniper setup on the new motor, hence Quickfuel pump needs to go...

do you know how it feels if you receive 2/3 enginecrane boxes?
I was in Czech again as one of our plants has severe issues, and came back yesterday night.
Wanted to yank the 400 out today, but well, you guess it, crane incomplete.
Rockauto once again delivered faster and complete vs German seller of the crane.
This is a mess....
6AE79472-0DF2-4DD1-B28C-AB9A2F4C078F.jpeg

then I got some other parts done, I need new swayback links, one is bend and the other one missed some material where it connects to the swaybar.

where to get a fresh set for stock height? Did not see anything on JBG or Rockauto.

78561AF4-7A6E-4968-B963-E10D1EECBBA9.jpeg
Here‘s the status of where I am:
Steering pump - pushed away
Plate on the intake to lift the engine
Starter taken off
All 8 screws between engine and gearbox are out
Oil is drained - created a mess as it was nicely mixed with fuel....

C6AD2DB8-EB37-45D8-8891-CF83B99FB207.jpeg 3AC14A03-3EE2-4DE2-9561-D607C6A3C4CD.jpeg

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
2,333 Posts
I hate the JBG website, because it's hard to find what you're looking for. Especially if you use the search feature. They do sell sway bar end links, but if you search for end links it won't pull any up.

Anyway, here are some stock length end links. I would measure what you have already and compare the measurement to what JBG says these are. They also sell longer ones for lifts.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #349
I can just agree, can t find the stuff there!

thanks for the link!!

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #350
I was told my hydroboost parts arrived at LEB.
I ordered them at Battleborn brakes - Jacob is a nice guy.

Further the company I bought the engine crane of told me what I already knew: the 2nd of 3 parcels is missing.
It shall be delivered today, lets hope for the best... I told them to send out another one, so that I can be sure I have a complete lift by latest tomorrow.....
not sure if they do it.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #351
I hate the JBG website, because it's hard to find what you're looking for. Especially if you use the search feature. They do sell sway bar end links, but if you search for end links it won't pull any up.

Anyway, here are some stock length end links. I would measure what you have already and compare the measurement to what JBG says these are. They also sell longer ones for lifts.

I can confirm its stock length parts.
stock link is 30 cm, equaling 12 inch.

ordered a set to myUS account.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #352
weekend update - just slow update, as the busted engine crane is still not complete.... what an ugly seller, really... hate it.
tracking info shows parcel is lost, and seller asks me to confirm this - in written.
the only thing I can confirm is that I did not receive the box.... lets see how this goes forward, maybe I will order another crane somewhere else and when I have this one, I tell the first seller to pickup this sh*t....

#############################

my work upgrade from saturday.
I got some 5mm thick flat steel and wanted to fabricate the brackets for the lower shock mounts on the radius arms.
with my pool tools, I am not able to bend 5mm steel neither exactly not somehow "good".
So I drilled out the big rivets on passenger radius arm to have the 2 brackets as samples for a company that can do it for me.
did the same on driver side C-Cap and have 3 parts now to give to metal shop as samples.
no pics of these parts.

pics I took:
194.jpg

I wire wheeled as good as I could reach and made myself and the entire garage really dirty.
on the driver side there was still a lot of oil/dirt mix, which hardened over time, partly I could only scrape it off, as the wire wheel was just moving it around but not really got if off....

195.jpg

and here we go with the first coat of metall protection paint put on with a brush.
It was not as thick as I expected it to be, but it was pretty warm, around 28°C

196.jpg
there steering lines will be made silver, the oil cooler lines will be black as well.

at least some progress here.
still some long way, but well... its like that all the time :)

############################
engine update:
Kris send me some update pictures along, and told me he will start assembling the engine this week! YES

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #355
engine crane arrived yesterday afternoon, at least the missing box, should be complete, but its a nightmare to assemble, as no instruction came with it, only 1 picture.....

well.... perfect!

to do's:

buy engine crane --- DONE (arrived)
get out 400motor + trans
put in metal cover to close the hole in firewall --- DONE
clean engine bay --- started
paint everything nicely black --- started - partly first layer done
prepare for hydroboost
when there is no load on front axle I would like to change all rubber vs. urethane stuff (radius arms + stabilizer)
install electric fuel pump setup --- comes with SNIPER
get the brackets for quad shock fabricated and install quad shocks finally --- under construction

·
Registered
894 Posts
Weekend update time !!!! (all pictures just thumbnails, click to enlarge)

We / I have not been too busy here, but did some stuff:

I put the car on dollies, but these are not really good. it takes 3 guys to move the guys on the flat garage floor (its epoxy coated) - I did expect that I will be able to move it "alone" - one man show.

Then went ahead - draining coolant again, disconnect harness from lights and inner fenders, losening all bolts (2 rear lower bolts of fenders, 2 behind doors, 2 front inner fenders to firewall and 2 in front from body mounts for radiator support) and then:

Installed motorsport weight reduction:
View attachment 167019
We could take the whole mask of, it was a bit of a problem to losen the lower rear fender bolts with the brackets.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE TO GET NEW HARDWARE??? (did not find anything at JBG)

Simon being happy:
View attachment 167020

not so happy with front rad support body mounts, the metal sleeves are rottet into 1 piece, I will have to cut them with an angle grinder and try to recover them somehow. replancements are not available at the moment, however I read in another post, it shall be in 10 weeks..... will not be a help. in 10 weeks the new engine shall be in already.

View attachment 167021 View attachment 167022 View attachment 167023

Then I took of the ugly big AC box and fab'ed a metal plate (1,5mm coated steel). In this process I could get rid of a lot of old "open end" cables, of which I did not know where they belong, these were all out of the old AC harness.

When the engine is once out, I will repaint the entire engine bay and frame with primer and black satin paint, to have to clean at some point.
I plan to install "heat" later on, so may have to drill 3 holes in the plate (2 for heater core connection, 1 for heater motor).

View attachment 167024 View attachment 167025

Even we did some progress I can not cross out a lot from the list:

buy engine crane --- DONE (not arrived)
get out 400motor + trans
clean engine bay
prepare for hydroboost
Was the heater core in that box? I am thinking of removing my AC box as it's useless (previous owner deleted most AC stuff) but I will need heat for this winter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #357
my heater core was in the box, correct!
I took it out completly for now.

I plan to add a non a/c box and the center dash controls and then install the correct heater core and blower motor, meaning I will have to drill 3 holes in the firewall cover: 2 for the hose to core connections and one for the motor.

but for me its not important at the moment, my priority was to get room free'd in the engine bay.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #358
Update time :)

got the engine lift assembled yesterday afternoon and well, needed to test it.

remaining things to do, after hooking on the engine:
Losen and take off Engine mount to frame nuts
Take off feed hose for fuel pump

it worked well, first engine didn‘t want to divorce with gearbox but with some breaker bar support it went free...

i put it in the rear of the garage on or in 2 old tires (basically not that old, but now not a good tire anymore).

7DEE59F8-03F4-4E4B-8A18-4C84D62B38CF.jpeg
545E876D-0E88-4B5B-87C7-7E1A7E36C7A7.jpeg

happy Simon
10487CA7-C0A4-4192-A579-E3DB6581E07B.jpeg

old steel being parked - it’s still on the hook as I don‘t trust the tires yet - on the left the wife‘s car is parked, so no
Movement allowed

D16C5CC1-E1A4-4222-95B0-8208AC225F99.jpeg

Today I cleaned the firewall and remaining engine bay as good as i could and primed it - not sure why I only had bright silver left...

F21E5C67-D33D-4D4A-B83F-3A8138B31B01.jpeg
Next will be painting the firewall and lower parts black with a metal protect paint - 2 layers overall.

Before I need to take all the brake booster stuff away, I ordered a Hydroboost Unit from Battleborn, but I think I wrote that already.

weather turned into headache mode from one day to another.
Thursday we had acceptable 13 degrees - today it’s 5 and tomorrow we may have snow. Celsius temps.

In parallel we are active with the new house and will have lots of appointments with companies for bathrooms, kitchen, heating systems, solar, etc etc to get the quotes in and know how big our loan have to be.... well....

·
Registered
851 Posts
@simrokkzz i am glad to see you pulling your engine with that hoist. I just purchased the same lift last week and received it 2 days ago. I was worried it was going to be to short to pull the engine out of the engine bay. But granted, my front clip is still in.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,130 Posts
Congrats on getting it out. (y) Looks like your cherry picker (engine crane) worked well in spite of all the trouble getting all of its parts.

So... I gotta ask. What are you going to do with the old engine? More specifically, the exhaust manifolds, that heat stove that bolts to the right side manifold, or any other smog related equipment?

341 - 360 of 415 Posts