Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

381 - 400 of 415 Posts

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual locking hubs
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #381
Just placed an order at LMC for the inner fender, some brackets and most of the hardware (U nuts and screws) I will need.
They wanted to have a whopping 717 USD shipping from US to Germany, so it let it ship into myUS first.

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
2,333 Posts
I think I have the same situation as you do with the holey inner fender. I think a battery leaked on mine as well at some point. I saved an inner fender from my old F150 before I scrapped it. It's just a matter of swapping it out some day.

It's too bad you weren't in the States, I can get a lot of this stuff fairy cheap. Those shipping costs would kill me if I had to pay that. Having an American vehicle in Europe has to be a very expensive hobby. I've had to pay around $200 shipping on some large stuff here in the States and even then I cringe.

For your D44 they make quite a few different carriers you can use. I have a Grizzly locker in mine, but I only lock the front axle off road. I also chose the Yukon Grizzly based on the cost when I got it and not because I think it's better than any other brand or locker.

I would definitely consider how you plan on using your Bronco before selecting a locker, an LSD, or just leaving it open. That goes for the front or the rear for that matter.

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual locking hubs
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #384
I think I have the same situation as you do with the holey inner fender. I think a battery leaked on mine as well at some point. I saved an inner fender from my old F150 before I scrapped it. It's just a matter of swapping it out some day.

It's too bad you weren't in the States, I can get a lot of this stuff fairy cheap. Those shipping costs would kill me if I had to pay that. Having an American vehicle in Europe has to be a very expensive hobby. I've had to pay around $200 shipping on some large stuff here in the States and even then I cringe.

For your D44 they make quite a few different carriers you can use. I have a Grizzly locker in mine, but I only lock the front axle off road. I also chose the Yukon Grizzly based on the cost when I got it and not because I think it's better than any other brand or locker.

I would definitely consider how you plan on using your Bronco before selecting a locker, an LSD, or just leaving it open. That goes for the front or the rear for that matter.
Hey Daniel
thanks for your advise - one more time :)

the car needs to have grip offroad if I want to use it, hence locking diffs front and rear will be a good choice.

As soon as I know if I need something (count ring and pinion teeth) then we can talk about options, shouldn't break the bank, but I am aware that is no 200 USD topic.

And yes, the freight cost are meanwhile 40% of the parts I paid overall, thats really a shitty situation.
And exactly you hit the point - a 2 week trip in US and then a sea freight palett or 2 would do the job much much cheaper than today.

Fender: I can get a set of good fenders from a member of our Germany/Austria/Switzerland whatsapp group. He is in Austria and has 2 or even 3 Broncos and quite some parts.
Maybe I find something else.

I need a heater control for non A/C and a plan for the routing, I will be able to start the car in December from what I plan, so I would like at least HEAT in the car....
I got the non AC heater box already.

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
2,333 Posts
Do you need the cable for the heater controls? There are a few non-a/c trucks in the yards here. Believe it or not, the heater and a/c controls/boxes are not a very sought after part, so they are usually in all the trucks I look at. I'm never looking for them either!

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #386
Do you need the cable for the heater controls? There are a few non-a/c trucks in the yards here. Believe it or not, the heater and a/c controls/boxes are not a very sought after part, so they are usually in all the trucks I look at. I'm never looking for them either!
yes I need the dash heater control and cables, anything that is not the non AC box . this I got already from a fellow here.

Thanks Daniel!!!

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #387
Today i opened the rear diff
Pinion 12 teeth
Ring 38
Meaning 3.16-3.17 rear axle ratio
Much too long and not sure what to do
Go for 4.10 or go for 3.50’s

DB4FBFC2-407F-4DF6-8F37-080928568F76.jpeg

60E4A4BE-55E4-4509-A643-D3F22FC61348.jpeg

A mess starting again:
C5D53EA7-8809-4823-B1E7-B2E0B4A8F0FC.jpeg

I will open the front and if there is 3.50 in I will most probably go with 3.50’s on 35 inch tires and the high torque 460 engine.
Shall be good enough for on road and some off roading.

rear shall be locked, so @Doosenberry educated me to a tru trac - something.
Not sure I want to do measuring and gapping and install all that or get a fully assembled 3rd member.

most ugly I gotta take the axles out and disassemble all the brakes and rear hubs... whereas I all serviced that in summer....

I forgot to post a picture of the passenger inner fender I took of the nose last weekend:
46EED3B0-D9DF-4B8E-8B47-17EE7D650606.jpeg
And here’s the nose put up
2CE0E269-078C-4DBB-891B-C5C039059319.jpeg

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #388
Front
It go 42/12 stock Dana parts
So 3.50 ratio

60D13F0D-EA2A-416A-B161-59D192F06E8A.jpeg

4243C2A6-C2D0-4F09-A95C-1BC8C9A47A48.jpeg

will take some time until I decide what to do

4.11 May be best, 3.50 less work and money as just rear to be tackled

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,643 Posts
Today i opened the rear diff
Pinion 12 teeth
Ring 38
Meaning 3.16-3.17 rear axle ratio
Much too long and not sure what to do
Go for 4.10 or go for 3.50’s
You sure about that? Ive never heard of a 3.17 in a 9", especially paired with a 3.50 front axle.

Me personally, i want 4.10 or 4.56 for 35s. Its not just about engine torque, its about getting the engine at the right RPM at cruising speed.

You should post up a list of parts you want/need. Im not the only one here that frequents the junkyards; if theres something you need, odds are someone here has already found it, or already has it.

·
Joisey don't smell funny
1,228 Posts
I have 4.10 in my 78-460/ZF5. In 5th gear (OD) I cruise at 50mph/1500rpm on 35's. At 70mph, which I don't do very often, it's only turning 2k.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,642 Posts
I'll toss in here as well... as I almost did but figured smarter guys would instead.

With the 78-79 I'd go 4.10 for sure. I love having the 4.56 and I really don't off-road as much as I'd like but I do haul/pull stuff around a lot. Difference is the tranny. I'd recommend 4.56 to almost anyone from 3rd gen up but I think the C6 w/out OD might be a bit high on the RPM's vs. my '95 E4OD or even my old '90's AOD. 4.10 is a solid combination for the larger tires to keep from loosing power and without being an issue w/the C6 transmission.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
You sure about that? Ive never heard of a 3.17 in a 9", especially paired with a 3.50 front axle.

Me personally, i want 4.10 or 4.56 for 35s. Its not just about engine torque, its about getting the engine at the right RPM at cruising speed.

You should post up a list of parts you want/need. Im not the only one here that frequents the junkyards; if theres something you need, odds are someone here has already found it, or already has it.

That's why I questioned it as well on his other thread on gear choices. I've only seen gears like 2.75, 3.00, 3.25 in that range on a 9". This site has a list of the gears that I'm used to seeing. Either way he's going to need a gear change if they don't match right now, that's for sure!

I have 4.56 with my 35's and the sweet spot for my 460 with its cam is 2k+. It makes a lot of torque below that, but right at 2k it's like vtec on a honda. lol. It really kicks in. 2k in mine at 1:1 is 45 mph, so 45-55 mph is very nice cruising power-wise and exhaust noise-wise as well.

Depending on what cam he gets in his new 460 he'll probably have a similar sweet spot. Maybe +/- 300 rpm. If he plans on more cruising above 55 mph, then 4.10 is probably a better compromise. I considered it for mine, but decided that I'd be spending far more time going slow and went for the deeper gear for benefits off road.

Just put a lot of thought into it, Simon! Unless you have lots of money to throw away, you'll want to get it right the first time. I know it'd be a lot easier of a decision with an OD tranny. I would have no problems hitting the freeway here and doing 70- 80 mph with 4.56 if I had OD. I probably would have even considered going to 4.88's.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #394
Wow, guys, I got 1 Million answers now.
thats very great knowledge passed over -- Thanks to all.

we are on the options as written in the other post for gear choices:

1. cheap for now: @Doosenberry finds a stock trak loc LSD with or without 3rd member, then we gotta see, if I can rebuild this

2. quickperformance 3rd member with a 3.50 ratio and true trak diff inside

3. full solution with 3rd member 4.11 gears and true trak + front 4.11 gears (ring & pinion)

some pics from remaining work from Sunday:

drum went off, no problem this time....

could loosen the 4 nuts easily with my impact, races and bearings are really good, seemingly these were replaced by the PO not long ago.

I will wire wheel the plate fixing axle to car and clean it a bit.

axle out, looks massive, splines are ok from my view

31 splines

3rd member being out. I will recount tonight, but I counted twice already.

and here's the axle housing before I cleanecd the sealing surface

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #395
even if I miscounted its not 3.50
4WD was never working, except making the front wheels slip and stop and such....

as I could not really drive the car since I got it (due to ongoing headache) the only thing I knew that either transfer case has a problem or gearing ratio between front and rear does not match, which is proven now.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #396
why ever you have such good ideas!

I will update post 1 of the thread with a wish list of parts.

thanks Mate !!!!

################################
edit
added this:

• passenger side plastic fender rear
  • cigarette lighter
  • plastic around rear belts - where these are connected to bench (housings etc.)
  • driver side door panel - just the wooden insert with chrome frame
  • hand cups in front doors (both sides)
  • heater control and wires for non a/c
  • sliding rear windows

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
why ever you have such good ideas!

I will update post 1 of the thread with a wish list of parts.

thanks Mate !!!!

################################
edit
added this:

• passenger side plastic fender rear
  • cigarette lighter
  • plastic around rear belts - where these are connected to bench (housings etc.)
  • driver side door panel - just the wooden insert with chrome frame
  • hand cups in front doors (both sides)
  • heater control and wires for non a/c
  • sliding rear windows

I'll have to write this down on a pad before I go to the JY.

I looked at a couple of trucks when I went to the JY the other day looking for those non-a/c heater controls and then when I found one I remembered that the f-series trucks don't have the rear window switch on their controls. Some of them have a switch there, but it's for dual fuel tanks.

You could still use the controls and just swap the fuel switch with your current rear window switch, but the controls will still have the label that says "Main" and "Aux" instead of "Rear Glass". I know it's a little thing, but those are the little things that bug me personally, so I wouldn't get it unless you specifically told me to get it.

Also, I know for sure there is a 3.50 Trac Lok in one of the JY's here, but it's in the more expensive JY. They also don't sell the third members by themselves and you'd have to buy the whole axle, so that's disappointing. The "H2" axle code on the warranty plate "metal plate on the door" is for a 3.50 lsd axle.

This is one of the Broncos in that expensive yard. The far right is the axle code. H2A.

I can't look up the cheap yard online, so that's the one I'll be hunting through in the morning.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #398
ok great !!! lets see, I would like to join your hunt. This can be lots of fun.
but if you have to take the whole axle, leave it.

when thinking about 4.11 gears - does the front carrier break allow moving from 3.50 to 4.11, usually the break is at 3.73 or something, so I would need a new carrier.... and this would make it more complicated :-/

well..... really a mess.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Yes, if you went with 4.11 in your front D44 you would need a new carrier. I factored that cost into my decision when I did my gear change as well. I believe the break for your current carrier is 3.73 and down and then you'd need a 3.92 and up carrier if you went with 4.11.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
If you want to look at the inventory of the JY I'm going to you can look at this website. They list their inventory, but they don't show pics or tell you what each one has. Just the make, model, and year. They also don't list the vehicles that are in their holding area. They will prep the cars (drain fluids, remove catalytic converter, etc) and then set them down in a small area until they clear a row of cars to set the new ones up. You can pull parts from the ones waiting for a row, so I go to the JY looking for new stuff in that area even if there is nothing new on the website.

Look in the Twin Falls one. There are others that they own, but they are all in the same area about 120 miles away from me.

Edit: According to Wikipedia, Ford put the 9" axle into F100 and F150 trucks up the 1986 and into Broncos up to 1983, so those will be the ones I'll be looking at on that website. It's too bad they didn't do it longer, because you'll notice that yard has a loooot of Ford trucks.

381 - 400 of 415 Posts