Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

541 - 560 of 582 Posts

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual hubs
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #541
I would pull the third member to inspect... something just ain’t right... no noise of something coming loose... which could be either good or bad... but without pulling the diff no way to tell... so??? Does it have locking hubs in the rear axle?
No it does not have locking hubs in the rear, the 3rd and diff is brand new, did not see 100meters of driving

but seems it does not convert power

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual hubs
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #543
Got it all out now
Both half axles and 3rd member incl diff

when I turn the yoke the big gear wheel on the Carrier turns and drives the axle shafts

the inner small gears I can not turn and even try to block moving axle shafts it does not turn the inner wheels

when I put this 3rd into the axle housing I shortened the driver side half axle about half an inch, when I look into the diff I see 2 spline gears, and maybe the axle splines were only in the outer spline area, not sure if that would make any difference, but that’s the only thing I have in mind

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #544
This I found at speedway motors about axles

When installing new axles in rearends with positraction differentials, be sure to install the driver's side axle first to keep the splines properly aligned. Failure to do so may move the two splined gears out of alignment, and it may be difficult to install the driver's side axle properly if the passenger side axle is already installed.
If installation of passenger side axle is done first it may require two people when installing the driver's side axle, with both parties rotating reach axle until splines are in line and the driver's side axle fully sides into the housing.

I installed passenger side first
, as there was simply more space
The driver side of the car is parked close to a wall

so I will need 1 new axle and retry

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #545
I think my stupidness started in Thread 447
Whatever can go wrong,
New axle from rockauto will be here until Thursday next week, meaning install on Easter Saturday :)

well :)
At least taking out axles and 3rd was only 2 hours, getting into practice

·
Registered
245 Posts
Have a new set of 31 spline axles bearings seals and a new Detroit locker third member ready to install into the 79. If most of your driving will be on the paved road recommend something less aggressive than the Detroit locker. However this one will do very little time on paved roads.

Reactions: simrokkzz

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #548
Have a new set of 31 spline axles bearings seals and a new Detroit locker third member ready to install into the 79. If most of your driving will be on the paved road recommend something less aggressive than the Detroit locker. However this one will do very little time on paved roads.
not sure how the driving profile will look like, no heavy offroading, but a 40/60 mix of pavement / dirt roads / fields, loose ground I would expect.
plan to use it for my dogs going into forrest and have some fun!

Got a posi track lock already since last year in August, only could not drive, as when the rear was ok for 4x4 (before the switch it had different ratio rear and front !!!). the engine started to show how tired it was at the same time and did not start - mismatch of cam and crank due to worn timing chain.

in the end now, I am somehow happy it may only be a shaft instead of the gearbox.

I will have to tear down the gear box anyhow in winter, as the input shaft seals leaks quite a lot....

here's some pics of the weekend:

I guess the 14-14,5 liters I put in the transmission were too much, as the torque converter should be full from first "fill". this means, I have to take out some oil of the transmission, otherwise it will be leaking like this everytime I start the engine:

as I wanted to complete the front, even I am aware my frame horns are not even.
passenger side horn got a hit and is pushed around 4 cm lower and 3 cm to inside (to driver side).

As I have no big hydraulic machinery to straighten this out, I went ahead and got some stainless hardware, some drill bit and installed the stuff...

the other problem was/is the poor fitment of the repro bull bar, which was not really perfect, so I had to lay down hands and cut wheel, etc.:

rear axle, even it may be mixed up with the videos from above, here's what I did sunday noon, after I figured something must be wrong in the rear end:

saved around 1 liter of oil, the other portion I drained in a bucket and will not reuse, as the bucket is poluted with various kinds of fluids:

rear axle parts out, went rather quick, as I did this already last year - no screws were fixed, all good turnable, only downside was passenger side drum, it took me 30 minutes to talk it off:

I ordered a half axle long version at rockauto incl. bearings, it shall arrive thursday April 1st, so I can install it saturday.
Friday we will pickup the C7 Z06 :) then there are 2 projects, one drives, one not - yet :cool:

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
2,821 Posts
Sucks that you're still having problems to work out. At least once you get it resolved it'll be a lot easier to cope with the money you've spent fixing the issues. That's how I usually feel anyway. It sucks spending money until you get to actually reap the rewards. It lessens the pain me and my wallet feel.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Have my 79 tore down too. Recovering from back surgery so I’m really slow at what I can do for a bit. Doing wiring on the 78 I can stand or sit mostly. My brother says he’s going to come help. However every day he’s off doing other things. When we get these all built we need to meet and go trail riding have some fun mud bogs too

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
2,821 Posts

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #553
well, its not GAS pricing, its the distance by plane or by ship :)
The car and my garage is in southern Germany.

lets see, the half axle shall arrive tomorrow, but will not be able to work on the Bronco before Saturday then!

fingers crossed my friends!

·
Registered
245 Posts
“Might be a little difficult for @simrokkzz to make it to the meetup.”

We can try out Zoom!

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #555
yep sure, or facetime or whatever,,,, but I need to come back to US when its possible again, maybe then 2022 and then we have to meet up on a Bronco meet.

My plan was - even before I joined this very nice family'ish community here, to touch down in Denver and do the rest to LA or SanFrancisco by car, but since my engine came from LEB, I need to meet up with these guys in SC - they really helped me out, same as some members of this forum did - don t want to start naming them, not to forget any!

Will bring some part of the car which everybody needs to sign so that I have this with me on the truck :)

really great guys here!!

·
Registered
245 Posts
yep sure, or facetime or whatever,,,, but I need to come back to US.

Will bring some part of the car which everybody needs to sign so that I have this with me on the truck :)

really great guys here!!
Awesome your in for a long drive LA Ca, to SC

Reactions: simrokkzz

·
Registered
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT, 12V P-Pump Cummins, ZF5, Dana 60 Front, Sterling 10.25 Rear
467 Posts
Man just caught up Simon! You’ve been putting in some great work. Hopefully the parts arrive today and install easily, I’m sure you’re itching to get it moving. Congrats on the progress so far!

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #558
Thanks Tomas

but no, parts are lost since yesterday, no tracking update since tuesday, delivery date 31st of march disappeared, well...

must be like that .... Maybe i Put in 3rd member and connect drive shaft and throw in the passenger side axle on driver side, leave the rest open und drive it out with front wheels, but no, I wont :-/

·
Registered
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT, 12V P-Pump Cummins, ZF5, Dana 60 Front, Sterling 10.25 Rear
467 Posts
Thanks Tomas

but no, parts are lost since yesterday, no tracking update since tuesday, delivery date 31st of march disappeared, well...

must be like that .... Maybe i Put in 3rd member and connect drive shaft and throw in the passenger side axle on driver side, leave the rest open und drive it out with front wheels, but no, I wont :-/
Dang! Yeah shipping on my stuff has been the same way. We had a couch come in 2 weeks after the original estimate. Hopefully yours is better than that

Yeah hard to be patient but definitely better than having to do it all again. It’ll only make it that much sweeter when your crushing down the road!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #560 (Edited)
So
Weekend update

we exchanged left and right rear axle, so put the longer into driver side of the axle and the shorter on passenger. As we glued in the 3rd member I had to wait until Sunday to fill in the 2 liters of oil I had left

the old dip stick of the gearbox:
Never assured me it’s the correct metal thing to verify fluid level, so I ordered a new one in black from eBay which I could fit to the fire wall.
When I pulled out the old dip stick there were around 2 liters of fresh oil on the ground, which indicate we overfilled transmission before.
I did not refill, as it jumps into gear immediately, much stronger and better than it did last summer with the 400 and the old trans oil and filter.

then we re-set the front bumper and bull bar, some washers and now it sits pretty straight.

D6792EEF-0050-41F4-9559-5A8BA458BB73.jpeg

exhaust: we moved back and forth and it’s now sealed up (at least as good sealed as possible if you do not have metal ring seals for 2.5 inch v band connections.

during bull bar adjustment wecompletely re-set the front fenders and mounted them correctly...

then it was time :cool:

even we did not film any of the test drives, we did around 2 times 10 kilometers, tested 4x4 but without any plates on the car.
did not want to risk to much.

It all worked!!

But cooling temps went up pretty high, so I feel the 400cui radiator is too small.
I will order a champion with a 2.75 deep net, now the tank depth is 2 inch, and with the 4 row champion its 3.25 inches.
That should add the cooling we need.
We had outside 12-15 degrees Celsius, so not too cold, but not warm either, resulted in 106 degree coolant, overflow put out 2 liters of coolant.

Another thing I should take care off is the throttle wire, for me it feels this too short by 0,5cm, so not a lot, but I can not adjust idle with throttle cable connected to 85-90 % IAC as sniper should be adjusted.

best is 50% iac at idle of 820-880 rpm... and this seems to generate load already.

we had to sort some issues with a too l plunger/rod in the hydro boost, as the front wheels started to block after some driving, could shorten it with a dremel by 13-15milimeter and now it rolls fine.

we picked up the other car on friday, the Z06 is a blast

01D54268-A0BF-4091-A153-E6E475D4B8E2.jpeg

may the way, the fresh half axle showed up today, I will prep it and mount it some day to have more spline area being overlayed

541 - 560 of 582 Posts