561 - 580 of 582 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Awesome, it’s fun isn’t it.

Reactions: simrokkzz

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual hubs
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #563
Hey Guys

yes it’s absolutely gorgeous. Great smile and happiness!

most technical parts of the car is either new or rebuild, except brake prop valve, front axle, gearbox and transfer case.

will sort the idle then,lower rank again to verify the problem with fuel gauge (put plug to sender in all directions but it only shows full full full)
Fiddled a bit with the rear bumper:
From the seller I got a used rear chrome bumper, but had no holders and such for it.
A nice guy on Facebook sold me his spare set incl all hardware.

233BAA4A-DB7D-47B1-A266-CF8B3D495160.jpeg
All complete, not a single washer was/is missing - only paid him 40 or 50 dollar - another great guy

8E554117-8C79-4260-A00B-8EC0F39FEC61.jpeg
The license plate lights are the only thing I miss for trying road approval and the technical check.

i plan going there after I installed the bigger radiator, within next 3 weeks hopefully.

it’s snowing again, lots of salt on the roads, this should be all gone until then...

there is some more items in the list, but I need heater controls for non A/c first...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Awesome it’s coming together.

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual hubs
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #565
soooooo

buying a bigger radiator was my task for the last 2 days, really a problem.

champion has no stock, it will take 8-20 weeks to build one
I can not find the Modine #545 anywhere.

Rockauto is empty.
JBG says on its website the item will be shipped from manufacturer but no one is willing to tell me if there is stock
LMC only has a 450 USD version, that is rather small - no clear info on core thickness/depth, so I will not order from them, as they add again "huge item" extra cost plus immense shipping.

ended up with evilbay.com and bought a Champion Radiator (they say its original) with the following dimension:
core thickness: 2,75 inch close to 7 cm, no I have 4,7 cm,
4 rows instead of 3 I got now.
core height: 19 1/4
core width: 26 3/8

I hope the bigger thickness will help, had to pay 243euros plus 135 euros shipping, so around 368 euros ~ 440 dollars.

fingers crossed it will work.

remaining things on my list:
sort cables at firewall (shorten, repack, etc.)
install kick down cable
change rear bumper (get rid of tube bumper and install oem bumper)
install heat
re-seal engine oil pan
lower shock mount plates, driver side has only 1 screw, other one seem the winding is broken
fix gearbox dip stick to firewall
exchange wipers
change oil cooler lines to soft lines

where to get the correct wiper blades?
I got stainless wipers and would like to keep them, only change the rubber insert, but can not find them here in Germany.

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
soooooo

buying a bigger radiator was my task for the last 2 days, really a problem.

champion has no stock, it will take 8-20 weeks to build one
The reason champion has no stock is I had to order 4 of them to get one good one, and that one wasn't perfect, but I'll live with it for the price.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hey bud what shape is your front bumper in? You running stock wheels too? Is you grill in good shape too?

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #568
The reason champion has no stock is I had to order 4 of them to get one good one, and that one wasn't perfect, but I'll live with it for the price.
Well, don't make me nervous.
I got tracking via Fedex, it shall arrive next week thursday, but I will not be able to send it back and forth.....

fingers crossed it will work!!!

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #569
Hey bud what shape is your front bumper in? You running stock wheels too? Is you grill in good shape too?
as you can see in post #560
brand new bumper in front and brand new grille as well.

Did you look to any pictures?
my profil picture shows 35's on 15x10 alloy wheels (will not get approval for this) and currently there is 33 tires on 15x10 steel wheels

I plan running new alloy wheels from FUEL with 35's later on, no matter if it received official approval or not, no lift for the moment. maybe 4 inch later on.

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
Well, don't make me nervous.
I got tracking via Fedex, it shall arrive next week thursday, but I will not be able to send it back and forth.....

fingers crossed it will work!!!
I would cancel if you can. 3 out of 4 had brackets that bolt of to rad support, bent out of alignment, and worse lightly crushing core.
See here.....

This is how it is supposed to look (not bent)

The one I kept had light bending on one of the tubes (which I was able to easily bend back into shape). They don't put any packing between box and lower tube.
Just an ill fitting plastic end cap that wears through the box. You can see the cap got forced into the tube during shipping.

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
2,821 Posts
Champions must be hit or miss. I bought a 3 row Champion via Ebay and it was perfect when it arrived. I haven't had any issues so far, cross my fingers.

·
Joisey don't smell funny
1,280 Posts
I have a champion 3 row in mine, was pristine on arrival. My 460 will slowly climb up over 205* at idle & keep going, eventually, even with the dual fans on. I'm guessing they don't move enough air. Still looking into that and the relay wiring setup. Saw your videos @simrokkzz, sounds great! Got thumbs up from me (y)

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #574
I would cancel if you can. 3 out of 4 had brackets that bolt of to rad support, bent out of alignment, and worse lightly crushing core.
See here.....

This is how it is supposed to look (not bent)

The one I kept had light bending on one of the tubes (which I was able to easily bend back into shape). They don't put any packing between box and lower tube.
Just an ill fitting plastic end cap that wears through the box. You can see the cap got forced into the tube during shipping.

I will not have that chance, as shipping back and forth from Germany will be hell off expensive.
If its bend outside at hinges or so, I will flatten it, if the net is damaged, I will get a new net in Germany, but that will be pricey....

I did, 8 weeks at a minimum....

fingers crossed, its in the Mephis Fedex branch, where I lost my axle and found it back a week later....

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #575
Weekend update:

Saturday was other's car day: cleaned the Corvette interior and gave the rims and calipers a deep clean, gloss black rims are nice when clean, anything else makes them look awfull.... even changed my wife's Focus ST280 to summer tires, and you know what? Today we had 3 inch of fresh snow.... great !

As I reported, with some fiddling I could install a stock rear bumper and get rid of the Smittybuilt pipe bumpers finally.
--> I left the license plate lights not connected, so I did this on Sunday. and it worked immediately.

Then I repaired the passenger sunvisor, the plastic pipe was broken. I took a big M10 screw, but the head off and could work it in, sorted, no pictures!

in addition I got a cheap phone holder device and could fix this to the lower dash, so that I have the Sniper LCD directly in my view:

After all the mechanical work of the last weeks I went ahead and installed used chrome trim at the topper side windows, I have a new set, but could not find it, will be in one of 1 Mio boxes in basement or garage:

then I re-started harness work, leaned it a bit, shortened some wires, etc etc. - here's the result - still not 100% happy with it, but the wire wire can be taken out, its ignition for fan relay, this I can combine with fuel pump ignition. good!!!

and finally I adjusted the idle, to what I think was appropiate.
when car is warmed up (160°F or 71°C coolant) idle is fine, and if you rev, it does not fall below normal idle rpm. makes me confident its good for now.

Then I am waiting for radiator springs, should come in thursday!!

·
Registered
245 Posts
That’s cool! Great work!

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #577
fuel gauge related:

I read the following in ford repair manuals:
with ignition switch in RUN or ACCY:
1. power is sent to an instrument voltage regulator
2. the regulator averages 5 volts pulsating output
3. power then goes to fuel gauge
4. the fuel gage senser controls the corrent flow to the gage by varying resistance (between gage and ground) according to flaot level

resistance must be between 8 - 86 ohms

As I took out the normal voltage regulator, there is another one in the instrument cluster?
cable shall have PC color ? what can that be?

here's the page

maybe this regulator is broken.
anybody aware where its at?

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
2,821 Posts
fuel gauge related:

I read the following in ford repair manuals:
with ignition switch in RUN or ACCY:
1. power is sent to an instrument voltage regulator
2. the regulator averages 5 volts pulsating output
3. power then goes to fuel gauge
4. the fuel gage senser controls the corrent flow to the gage by varying resistance (between gage and ground) according to flaot level

resistance must be between 8 - 86 ohms

As I took out the normal voltage regulator, there is another one in the instrument cluster?
cable shall have PC color ? what can that be?

here's the page

maybe this regulator is broken.
anybody aware where its at?

View attachment 177974

It attaches to the printed circuit board. It's referred to as the IVR (Instrument Voltage Regulator). In this pic you can see it on the right hand side opposite of where the dash harness plugs into the circuit board and it's right next to where the fuel gauge would be (bottom right of both circuit boards in this pic).

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
Weekend update:

in addition I got a cheap phone holder device and could fix this to the lower dash, so that I have the Sniper LCD directly in my view:

View attachment 177943
NICE!!. Did you ever fit it up against one of the holes in the instr cluster? I have aftermarket guages now, so hole opposite fuel guage is useless
(cept turn signal, obviously). I've often wondered if that small screen could be made to fit in there flush mount somehow.

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #580
NICE!!. Did you ever fit it up against one of the holes in the instr cluster? I have aftermarket guages now, so hole opposite fuel guage is useless
(cept turn signal, obviously). I've often wondered if that small screen could be made to fit in there flush mount somehow.
it may fit into the left vent, but I do not want to cut anything, first I though putting it instead of a radio, as my bezel was hacked up anyhow, but this 5,99 phone holder was too cheap to not try it.

561 - 580 of 582 Posts