Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

601 - 620 of 670 Posts

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
2,912 Posts
I know you've already got your radiator and fan setup, but what I'm running seems to work well. I got the CC545 champion radiator, which has about a 5" taller core than the MC433, but is a bit thinner and has one less row. The CC545 is the same overall dimensions as a factory 460 radiator of this era and can utilize the factory shroud.

I used a factory clutch-fan setup with a factory shroud and it works very well with mine. I have a 192 degree thermostat and it usually runs a few degrees below that most of the time, maybe 188-190. It only hits around 195 if it sits a very very long time. Depending on how I use my Bronco, I might swap in a 180 thermostat to have the overall engine temp lower, but I like having the added heat in the winter here.

I hope you're able to get everything figured out. These Broncos can be a lot of fun to drive and it's frustrating having lots of hiccups.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Radiator update:
the radiator showed up in perfect condition...
It’s around 9-10 C degree ambient currently - so comparable to the weekend I drove it...

I made the fan harness waterproof:
View attachment 178136

engine cooled up to 80 degree C pretty quickly, could see the net through top opening, so I refilled around 1 gallon,

temperature walked up to 90 degrees C
Fans are both going in same time, at 88 degrees and lowered the temp from 90 to 88 and kept it there for 10 minute idle.

drove 2-3kilometers and temp was/is nailed at 88 degree C

1.Fans are not strong enough from my view
2. Maybe still air in system

but it’s a huge improvement, as with the other radiator the temp rose up to 107C until overflow opened...

for the moment this seems sorted.

tomorrow I will tackle fuel tank and sender again

temps C/F
90c = 194 F
88c = 190,4F
107c = 224,6F

sure forgot to take before/after and or comparison pictures
To follow
At idle my temp is 86-89*C and during really warm days (37*C+) temp stays around 100-110 so your numbers are good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual hubs
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #603 ·
I know you've already got your radiator and fan setup, but what I'm running seems to work well. I got the CC545 champion radiator, which has about a 5" taller core than the MC433, but is a bit thinner and has one less row. The CC545 is the same overall dimensions as a factory 460 radiator of this era and can utilize the factory shroud.

I used a factory clutch-fan setup with a factory shroud and it works very well with mine. I have a 192 degree thermostat and it usually runs a few degrees below that most of the time, maybe 188-190. It only hits around 195 if it sits a very very long time. Depending on how I use my Bronco, I might swap in a 180 thermostat to have the overall engine temp lower, but I like having the added heat in the winter here.

I hope you're able to get everything figured out. These Broncos can be a lot of fun to drive and it's frustrating having lots of hiccups.
good tip
Radiators are like gems at the moment, at least if you wanna pass evil bay China stuff

the 545would‘ve been my wish though, but 8-12 weeks was not an option at this time.

not sure if I will stay with electric fans, I like I can drive it with the sniper.

not sure if the thermostat I got now is the one that stays...

Can only tell when I have my road registration and finally do some trips

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual hubs
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #604 ·
At idle my temp is 86-89*C and during really warm days (37*C+) temp stays around 100-110 so your numbers are good

makes me feel good!

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #605 ·
I totally understand what you're saying and don't be concerned about remarking on the quality of US companies, there are some crappy builders and then there are some really good ones..unfortunately, not everyone takes pride in their work..I can't say whether that was the case with the current builder, but like you said the decision to go with them meant you spent half as much as if you had it built there..

Either of those gaskets would be fine..I typically use felpro..are you saying you're seeing oil around the front seal as well??
Yes, it’s not perfect on the picture, but the front area is definitely wet oily.
The seal is not applied properly.

i do not want to glue the pan if it’s possible to seal with rubber.
If I look into the front area it looks like no rubber at all.
Or a mix of rubber and liquid seal.

not nice in the end

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #606 · (Edited)
Was out at a friend take off the alternator of his car (it’s a Peugeot 206cc - I tell you, what a shitbox), needs a new one, but he did not yet order it, so when I came back and had Holley out for a nice walk in the forrests, I started with the white dinosaur...

I lowered the tank within the bolts, which would allow me to have less hassle when moving the connector or the whole sender unit without taking the tank off.
Well, I started rear passenger side of tank, then driver rear, passenger front screw.

when I arrived at driver front side of tank, I found the problem, what stupid....

43448948-3F80-4409-BC86-F6F41439B5A1.jpeg

7763719F-EA69-4370-8534-965A3015876D.jpeg

Repaired this nicely, replaced the old insulation with fresh corrugated tube and shrink tube...

gauge is working, showing something at or slightly below E
So this could fit with 20 liters

started the engine, let it idle until warm, with cap off the radiator, filled another 3 liters of green liquid in, had to top engine oil off with half a liter/quart.
Transmission is at full and really goes into gear strong, so 3 flushes of oil were good.
maybe shift kit next time.

afterwards I fixed some lines and such... for me the car should be good to drive.

Will have 5 day plate Registration from Wednesday to Sunday.
Hope I can get some kilometers, if nothing occurres then I plan to bring the car on Sunday to have certification done during the week after...

the oil leak at pan will not be fixed, so I will have same brake cleaner for certification :)

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #607 ·
Hey all

today I got the 5 day plates, will put them on the car and do first drives today.
gonna report what happens.

further to this I found a nice guy on facebook willing to sell me non ac heater controls.

on top I added 2 items on thread 1 of this project I am searching for:

• 1 original black mirror
  • good rear view mirror

I need one black mirror, don't like that cheap ebay reporduction crap.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #608 ·
Got the plates....

first drive to petrol station, but in 13 gallons, fuel gage shows 1/3 tank,,, well :cool:

tires are only at 1,5 bar pressure, I stopped at 2 petrol stations to air up, no air gun..... later :)

that thing is pretty wide for german roads... really, some traffic coming towards me nearly stopped !!! Thats what I like! Bronco roads!!!

and here this looks already like a road trip

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #610 ·
Congratulations on getting your girl on the road... how is she handling after all the work?
if you are used to a Mercedes E class, its a bit weird, so much steering turns to turn the car and such.
solid axles, and such.

But I like it, sure I have to get miles done to adapt better to the car, but its lot of fun already. I think the bit wobbly feel comes from tires being low on air, but apart from that, "moses" this thing is great! really like it.

And hell of thanks for the congratulation, I need to admid I am somehow proud, as mostly all things I had to tackle were worse than I expected...

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,539 Posts
Very cool! It's a great feeling to get it out finally, isn't it?

It looks like you live in a beautiful part of the world. That scenery could be a movie backdrop.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #612 ·
Very cool! It's a great feeling to get it out finally, isn't it?

It looks like you live in a beautiful part of the world. That scenery could be a movie backdrop.
you name it!!! absolute happiness

really nice area, its the junction area between black forrest and schwaebische Alb, so mid size hill area, around 700 - 1100m above sea level, lots of empty fields, forrests and such.
Its a blast to drive around the country roads, and this can be done slowly and cosy, or brutal with the C7 Z06, however for the Corvette tires, its not yet warm enough, I do not get them into working window.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Wow she lives, looking great too. Can’t wait to see all the rest of what you do to her. Great job!

Reactions: simrokkzz

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #614 ·
yep, its driving, and let me down twice already.

first one resulted in 2 mile walk back home, as starter was just clicking. I was a bit unsure if it can be due to low voltage, even its a brand new battery, Sniper LCD indicated 12.4 volts, but starter only "clicked". starter was/is new as well, Powermaster XS 9505, so what the heck.

We walked home, got my friends BMW X5 (which is looking rather small next to the Bronco) and starter cables and bridged battery, car started immediately.

Then back home I put the new battery to a charger over night. It did not start yesterday, still only clicking starter.

Got the starter out, redneck wired it, it's turning....
got it in again, click click
got it out (and as you all know this is kind of fun with headers, a O2 bung in front of the screws and the top screw, I could only move the ratched 2 clicks and not really reach the screw with the fingers allowing me to turn it.
it was spinning, got it in, nothing, click click.

got it out again..... nice practice meanwhile, and put the old rusty one from the 400 engine in.

car starts no problem.

here's the bastard:

Maybe it reclocked itself just a bit, so that the gear is too close to the flywheel?
The manual says its clocked for most standard applications.

my 460/C6 is standard in terms of original flywheel, I have no stock flex plate, some keith something motorsports anadozed one, but this does not change it.

The powermaster was installed on the engine since I got it, and always worked no problem.

I now put it in a vice and moved it slightly off, not sure this can be enough. Any Tips?

It will be tough to measure the gap, as how to ?

with the original starter in, I went to pickup my dinner

as most of the stuff is fresh and clean you can put in starter 3 times and out and only have slightly grey instead of black fingers. this I like!!!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
yep, its driving, and let me down twice already.

first one resulted in 2 mile walk back home, as starter was just clicking. I was a bit unsure if it can be due to low voltage, even its a brand new battery, Sniper LCD indicated 12.4 volts, but starter only "clicked". starter was/is new as well, Powermaster XS 9505, so what the heck.

We walked home, got my friends BMW X5 (which is looking rather small next to the Bronco) and starter cables and bridged battery, car started immediately.

View attachment 178462

Then back home I put the new battery to a charger over night. It did not start yesterday, still only clicking starter.

Got the starter out, redneck wired it, it's turning....
got it in again, click click
got it out (and as you all know this is kind of fun with headers, a O2 bung in front of the screws and the top screw, I could only move the ratched 2 clicks and not really reach the screw with the fingers allowing me to turn it.
it was spinning, got it in, nothing, click click.

got it out again..... nice practice meanwhile, and put the old rusty one from the 400 engine in.

car starts no problem.

here's the bastard:

View attachment 178463

View attachment 178466

Maybe it reclocked itself just a bit, so that the gear is too close to the flywheel?
The manual says its clocked for most standard applications.

my 460/C6 is standard in terms of original flywheel, I have no stock flex plate, some keith something motorsports anadozed one, but this does not change it.

The powermaster was installed on the engine since I got it, and always worked no problem.

I now put it in a vice and moved it slightly off, not sure this can be enough. Any Tips?

It will be tough to measure the gap, as how to ?

View attachment 178464

with the original starter in, I went to pickup my dinner

View attachment 178465

as most of the stuff is fresh and clean you can put in starter 3 times and out and only have slightly grey instead of black fingers. this I like!!!
Hahahaha hell yeah simon, I bet you get weird looks driving that thing haha

·
Registered
274 Posts
I like the Bronco, very nice work! Got a little bit done today myself.

Reactions: simrokkzz

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #617 ·
weekend, driving and update time.

friday I did some tour, airing up tires, had to talk to 3 different people (one of them only short as he asked how this Blazer drives).... but generally very nice that people want to know about this rig.... from petrol station I went to our dog doctor picking up medcine for the bullterrier Django, then took a longer way home (4x normal distance) allowing to monitor coolant temps, stable at 86-91 degree Celsius, even when approaching stop and go to a traffic light with ambient 20 degree C outside.

Saturday morning I gave it a good wash and did some minor things, really minor (adjust door closure gap, as last year when new weather stripping came in it first had to set..., as I was out driving it, had to cut lawn, take the dogs for a long walk, as we had nice spring weather with around 20 degrees Celsius.
In the evening we met Covid regulation (shutdown past 10 pm in the evening, if you have visitors only 1 person from another household) - so we had barbecue with a friend, some Tequilla and just made it a great saturday.

Sunday, weather was nice again, so my wife and I started with cosmetic work on the headliner, it was really tired, same as the rusty metal lining, well, see what we got:

first 2 steps of cleaning:
1. Dremel with brass brushes
2. machine cleaning with cleaning substrate

result was pretty good, however where surface was/is damaged it surely did not repair it.

this stuff here did not increase my confidence, it will be better:

pretty rusty, did expect a lot of open chrome surface.

by the way, there out working setup:

some micro fiber towels
take a garden bank
some zip ties
drill machine at slowes position
fresh polish/cleaning fixture
and GO

result, after good Dremel usage, 2 times cleaning and 1 time polishing, pretty well.... really, in the sun it was hurting my eyes already.

Then headliner, whilst my wife was working on the chrome trim, I started with headliner:

Last summer already - so I see how things can change - I got some original BUNDESWEHR cloth, which I liked to install on the headliner:

used spray glue

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #618 ·
new post, as 10 picutres is max

after lots of spray glue, and some triming, it could dry out in the sun:

turned out really good.

and here you go with the full headliner re-installed, went perfect !! (except my neck and rear side of arms are terribly sun burned... how the.... ok, neck understand, but arms, back side?
Well, don't need to understand:

gonna get some nicer srews, but I am totally proud how this turned out, from this distance it looks brand new.

gotta do the same at dome light and sunvisor feet....

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #619 ·
Sunday afternoon then, we brought the truck to the US car workshop, for this weeks certification approach, hope it will all be ok and I can get paperwork done shortly!!!

The maximum I drove with it was 100 km/h for really short time, mostly dirving 40 - 55 miles on country roads.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,769 Posts
That's great. Nice to see the old Bronco out on the roads of Germany..I'm sure the other motorist all do double takes when they see you coming. You'll get all those little kinks worked out in time..For now just enjoy having her on the road..

Reactions: BikerPepe`
601 - 620 of 670 Posts