·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
Is that an IBEW sticker?

Reactions: simrokkzz

·
Registered
274 Posts
Wow the country side you get to ride through. The work you have done is awesome. She will pass inspection no worries.

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual hubs
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #623 ·
Is that an IBEW sticker?
IEBW = International Brotherhood of Electrical workers?

Yes, the sticker is on both front fenders, I would guess, one of the old owners was member of this, however the electric work on this truck was really bad, so I do not understand how this fits together with something we call in Germany honor of craftsman (Handwerker Ehre)....

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual hubs
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #624 ·
Wow the country side you get to ride through. The work you have done is awesome. She will pass inspection no worries.
Well, this is what I thought.

The car was on a lift yesterday, the inspector like the underside, as basically everything is new, glossy, clean, but... they put it down, and stopped the inspection as the paint quality is too bad to receive the attitude "worth to keep this cultural value".....

this I did not expect, sure some patina on hood and roof, some wrong paint on lower front fenders, doors and side walls, and 2 dents on the rear, but I did not expect this may lead to a bigger problem.

But obviously the condition how to achieve historic car status did change a lot within last 2-3 years....

there's quite some matt black or oliv cars with H plates, which wonders me then, as this is not even original color tone...

Not sure what to do, there may be a chance to get certification at 2 other places, both are pretty far away - 400 and 500 km, which would require me to rent a big truck/SUV allowed to pull it all, find a driver, as my license does only allow 3.5 ton total weight ----- all a big hassle now.

Really disappointed!!!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Well, this is what I thought.

The car was on a lift yesterday, the inspector like the underside, as basically everything is new, glossy, clean, but... they put it down, and stopped the inspection as the paint quality is too bad to receive the attitude "worth to keep this cultural value".....

this I did not expect, sure some patina on hood and roof, some wrong paint on lower front fenders, doors and side walls, and 2 dents on the rear, but I did not expect this may lead to a bigger problem.

But obviously the condition how to achieve historic car status did change a lot within last 2-3 years....

there's quite some matt black or oliv cars with H plates, which wonders me then, as this is not even original color tone...

Not sure what to do, there may be a chance to get certification at 2 other places, both are pretty far away - 400 and 500 km, which would require me to rent a big truck/SUV allowed to pull it all, find a driver, as my license does only allow 3.5 ton total weight ----- all a big hassle now.

Really disappointed!!!
paint quality id too bad??? what?? man talk about those darn german regulations...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #626 ·
paint quality id too bad??? what?? man talk about those darn german regulations...

believe me, it was good I was not present in the shop....

can't understand how these rat rod cars then achieve certification....

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
believe me, it was good I was not present in the shop....

can't understand how these rat rod cars then achieve certification....
So what are your options? Can you have it registered in a more "friendly" eurozone jurisdiction?

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #628 ·
well
either get the car home somehow, then disassemble and paint in garage
or find another certificator that knows. what he is doing....

in the official regulatory paperwork from TUEV patina is allowed, but not a "used out" chassis.
so and exactly this is the case, sure it has some marks from past 42 years, but it not rusted or worn down.

The only things which can be complained about is 2 dangs at the rear, but these I will adress during summer with a body shop

You can see the dang on the rear left on the picture at the petrol station.
on the rear right there is a small cut in the metall, as it split.

This has to be brought into shape, welded and primed and painted.
the driver side has to be danged with a pull hammer and then make it as nice as possible and clear the rest with bondo as thin as possible.

sure the rest is not perfect, but its not too bad...

a certificator could simply remark this is minor deviation and approve the certificate for me.
This would allow to register the car with german paperwork and bring me to drive it.

Then surely its in my interested to maintain condition....

·
Registered
274 Posts
Wow are there any local shops that do restoration and get the vehicles certified. You may be able to talk with them on ideas on what they have experienced.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #630 ·
Wow are there any local shops that do restoration and get the vehicles certified. You may be able to talk with them on ideas on what they have experienced.
if I let paint being done it will be $$$ --> we talk 3000 or more in total

I am not willing to pay this now, as I did not yet decide if it stays Wimbledon white or light grey/green....

sure there is bodyshops, but my 5 day plate ended, I have no carrier car and trailer, so moving the car is not easy now.

dates to get another 5 day plate is a problem, as due to covid I have to make an appointment to the registration office, everything gone until thursday next week....

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
37,657 Posts
That all sounds like a perfectly horrible, bureaucratic hassle Simon.
Very sorry to hear it. I can imagine your disappointment.

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
IEBW = International Brotherhood of Electrical workers?

Yes, the sticker is on both front fenders, I would guess, one of the old owners was member of this, however the electric work on this truck was really bad, so I do not understand how this fits together with something we call in Germany honor of craftsman (Handwerker Ehre)....
My dad was union electrician, only reason I recognize it. Sorry to her about the electrical. :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #633 ·
That all sounds like a perfectly horrible, bureaucratic hassle Simon.
Very sorry to hear it. I can imagine your disappointment.
in fact it is....

500 km away they would not care this, so I am checking for a trailer, a driver allowed to have 5 ton load train, and find a day off, no chance at this moment.....

·
Registered
274 Posts
Dang man you have worked so hard on it, really wish you were closer trailering is not an issue for me would have come towed you back. It sad they are picking on little things that have zero effects on vehicle safety. Had a building inspector not pass a steel building because the epoxy primer was a different color on a joist, tried to explain it was from a different mix or vendor. Didn’t pass it until I painted it with a rattle can of spray primer. Some times I think they have bad days and they pass it on

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,849 Posts
Yeah wow thats crazy! In the pictures, this is a quite clean bronco, i cant believe theyre complaining about it! There are much worse looking vehicles on the roads here every day.

Hopefully you can get it sorted out fairly easily. I know its not ideal, but is this something that could be easily resolved by doing a simple 'driveway paintjob' aka spray paint? Just to get it on the road, and then do a proper paint job next year?

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,769 Posts
maybe I missed it, but are you trying to get the historic car status? Is that the only way you'll be able to have the Bronco registered?? It's bizarre that paint even comes into the equation, as some have stated above a nice older rig like yours with a straight body and a weathered patina is actually desirable..sucks that you have to trailer it 500km to get it sorted out, but it is what it is..are there yearly renewals on that, or once you have it is it good for however long you own the vehicle? would really suck if you had to take a 500km trip each time to renew.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #637 ·
maybe I missed it, but are you trying to get the historic car status? Is that the only way you'll be able to have the Bronco registered?? It's bizarre that paint even comes into the equation, as some have stated above a nice older rig like yours with a straight body and a weathered patina is actually desirable..sucks that you have to trailer it 500km to get it sorted out, but it is what it is..are there yearly renewals on that, or once you have it is it good for however long you own the vehicle? would really suck if you had to take a 500km trip each time to renew.
Well, I could register it as "normal" car, but then there applies really high tax.
The car as 7.500 ccm displacement, in Germany tax is done by engine size and emission class, as it has no cats, its worst class you can have.
this means 25,36 Euro per 100cm x 75 = 1902 Euro annual tax and higher insurance cost
With historic cars all this cost is capped - tax is 191 euro flatrate and insurance 310 per year

paint is on a higher weight since 2020, as the idea of historic cultural good is that it should be in good condition to call it worth preservation.

I may need to take the 500 km tour, possibly next week.... nothing is fixed, trying to figure out if I can have 1 day off work, get appointment at the "other station" and then bring it there with a friends X5 and the trailer of the shop where its now.

Yeah wow thats crazy! In the pictures, this is a quite clean bronco, i cant believe theyre complaining about it! There are much worse looking vehicles on the roads here every day.

Hopefully you can get it sorted out fairly easily. I know its not ideal, but is this something that could be easily resolved by doing a simple 'driveway paintjob' aka spray paint? Just to get it on the road, and then do a proper paint job next year?
that might be a good idea, which I consider, but not sure if that can be a way they would accept.
And they will not tell me, they want proper condition and appearance.

but the dangs in the rear would stay, as I need a professional body shop to get this sorted, and this should be done before any paint job, same for the bad bondo work on the passenger side, which must be shaved of, get the metal as good as possible and then bondo just very thin before paint.....

This I wanted to do anyhow during summer, but move the car the by its own, and not need a trailer all the time.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,463 Posts
Agree with rest. The seems crasy to me, knowing what is running around here in the Salt Belt of the states. Or even what my own '78 looks like, its a basically a rusty pile (especially compared to yours), the roll cage being what is holding the body on at the moment.
I have seen bad electrical work on cars in the past from non car people doing it, just like I have seen "mechanic's" cars that were just kept togethor enough to keep it on the road. Not in best shape possible.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #639 ·
you name it!!

I have seen way worse cars, even rusty ones, or the so called rat rods, how these ever received certificates.

Plan is to bring the car to eastern Germany on Monday, got the mate with the X5 engaged and then we should be good (hopefully) and go back same day.

Lets see.

He will bring the car on the trailer to my ground today, so we have it ready for Monday morning leaving 5 am....

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #640 ·
Chance

crazy development but in short:

the german tuev - technical overview group is organized in north and South.

usually here in my area we are in Deep South of Germany, but 20 km up north there is a tuev nord certification place, which a fellar with a 2017 Mustang knows the certificator...

he is currently checking if we can go there today - tonight and see what we got.

this guy already said - note 3 paint is no issue for him, a note 4 may be a discussion between him and me... well fully good to take it and support this with some cold snacks ...

fingers crossed we can go there today.

if not, Monday to eastern Germany

621 - 640 of 670 Posts