Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

641 - 660 of 670 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
this guy already said - note 3 paint is no issue for him, a note 4 may be a discussion between him and me... well fully good to take it and support this with some cold snacks ...

fingers crossed we can go there today.

if not, Monday to eastern Germany
Good luck buddy, you have worked so hard on this project. Hopefully they will work with you to get it on the road so you can fulfill your vision on this Bronco. Please keep us posted on the outcome. Let me know if there are any little parts you may need. I’ve been collecting pieces and parts more than 40 years I may have the right part for you.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Chance
View attachment 178873

crazy development but in short:

the german tuev - technical overview group is organized in north and South.

usually here in my area we are in Deep South of Germany, but 20 km up north there is a tuev nord certification place, which a fellar with a 2017 Mustang knows the certificator...

he is currently checking if we can go there today - tonight and see what we got.

this guy already said - note 3 paint is no issue for him, a note 4 may be a discussion between him and me... well fully good to take it and support this with some cold snacks ...

Did it work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual hubs
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #643 ·
Did it work?

in Short:
No

we are on the way to eastern Germany, started at 6 this morning, now it’s 8.37h and we shall be there until 12, and 2pm the certificator will be there....

let’s see

·
Registered
274 Posts
Good luck brother

Reactions: simrokkzz

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,769 Posts
Chance
View attachment 178873

crazy development but in short:

the german tuev - technical overview group is organized in north and South.

usually here in my area we are in Deep South of Germany, but 20 km up north there is a tuev nord certification place, which a fellar with a 2017 Mustang knows the certificator...

he is currently checking if we can go there today - tonight and see what we got.

Best of luck..hopefully it won't be too long before you get all this sorted out..

Noticed the car hauler has the stars and bars (Confederate) flag on the wall..Strange seeing one over in Germany..You still see them every now and then down south where I live, but not as much as before what with all the stigma attached and political climate..

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual hubs
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #648 · (Edited)
Thanks for all your fingers being pressed until blue.

it took us 6,5 hours to trailer the Bronco to the us car garage, well, then 2 hours waiting for the person showing up late, but no matter that, he was a nice and totally relaxed expert. (we could barely drive faster than 85 km/h due to winds)

363.jpg here's our road train, I need to admit, a inline 6 petrol turbo charged engine plus a big battery and electric motors is perfect for pulling, perfect torque from idle. the BMW only consumed 12-13 liters per 100 km which is around 18-19 mpg.

It did help, but not completly. o_O:eek::oops:

364.jpg Bronc waiting for exam

I gotta have a list now, which I need to fix and then proove by pictures and videos! The certificator himself drives a Ford Police Interceptor from the 90's or such, nice guy, some kind of expert, as he identified quite quickly there is a build 460 big block in, instead of the 400 engine. Further he states my car is lifted, and the rear shock flanges have been re-welded on my axle - but in bad quality.

365.jpg

Technically the car was mostly good, no body talked about the paint (as if they knew I would pull my axe otherwise)....
for the brakes I even got positive thumbs up, as really strong and totally even per each axle, no left or right with big differences.

Here's the list about things the guy did not like too much:
  1. "adjusted" dyno sheet to max 215 hp instead of whatever the engine has. -> stating the 400 had around 160hp, so max 40% more power is allowed, otherwise I need a huge big shit of testing the car needs to go through!!
  2. get the silencers filled with metal whool to make it more silent, less loud
  3. re-route trans cooler lines
  4. put a self securing nut on the steering dampener
  5. measure height
  6. measure weight
  7. re-route parking brake cables
  8. re-weld rear shock flanges
  9. cover tire thread surface with some kind of rubber in the wheel wells

then I shall have my papers with historic certificate.

1. we may do something, can not write it down in public
2. I will put lots of metal whool inside and take a video from 7meters behind the car at 2/3 of max rpm, we said max is 4600 so I will do it around 3000 rpm....
3. easy, wanted to do this with softlines anyhow, same as 4+5+6 will be no big deal
7. gotta figure out where to route, but basically ok
8. thats me ordering a welder now!!!
9. ordered on ebay, need to stay on for the moment.

This certication process now was purely on technical points and function, which I like, as I want to have a that works safe on the roads....

big downside/trouble of the day
On the way back we had some bad luck with police stopping us, as we did not wear masks in the car, and my friend with the X5 did not have his drivers license with him, so we went into trouble 200 km from home :oops: - shortly before closing hours 10 pm in the evening hour start.
closing hours : currently due to Covid, you are only allowed to be outside your ground between 10 pm in the evening and 5 am in the morning for work reason.
As I am not allowed to drive more than 3,5 total weight without an extra license, the police called a truck taking our trailer in possession as my friend was not allowed to even more the car 1meter without being arrested,

366.jpg

So, bad shit luck day - some mix of it
I have to organize getting trailer with Bronco home today somehow, but I have to work until tonight, so lets see how to do.

Cops have nothing to do at the moment, as highways are quite empty.... they really made the country much safer taking our "train" off the road.... what jerks!

The south flag was in the trailer from my other friend with the us cars shop that couldn't do the certification, I see it less and less sweeping through pictures from US, you will be right @jermil01 with your reasoning!

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,769 Posts
wow, talk about a crazy adventure..getting pulled over for not wearing masks in the car..That's ridiculous..Ultimately, your persistence will pay off and you'll get the Bronco certifiied, but they're certainly not making it easy..

Reactions: canuckistan97

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,463 Posts
So are you supposed to care when the metal wool comes out of the mufflers on its own?
How are the trans cooler lines right now, vs how do they want them? More of a curiosity then anything on my part.

Crazy on the getting pulled over.

I have not seen someone re-weld a set of shock mounts onto an axle just because it was lifted, at least not normal to do so... Since you will be welding on the axle to fix that. I would also suggest adding some gussets to the stock leaf spring perches which like to bend. Though I could see how you would want to only mess with what they told you to for now too. At least until it is good to go from their eyes.

Is this process the same say if you had a car made for the German market but of the same year?? Or do they simply not exist anymore.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #651 ·
wow, talk about a crazy adventure..getting pulled over for not wearing masks in the car..That's ridiculous..Ultimately, your persistence will pay off and you'll get the Bronco certifiied, but they're certainly not making it easy..
Well, what to do, I am encouraged by all your nice or semi nice or what ever rigs that drive around and the passion and work, and again the nice community here, I want to bring my part to it, even I do not owe anything.
For me it should have been a fun project, on the cheaper side, meawhile I got around 20.000 euro ~ 24.000 dollars plus the car into it... as it went not planned route and partly escalated a bit :)

It will happen, and I am proud we are all on this way together, even I can not share my pain with you guys! :)

So are you supposed to care when the metal wool comes out of the mufflers on its own?
How are the trans cooler lines right now, vs how do they want them? More of a curiosity then anything on my part.

Crazy on the getting pulled over.

I have not seen someone re-weld a set of shock mounts onto an axle just because it was lifted, at least not normal to do so... Since you will be welding on the axle to fix that. I would also suggest adding some gussets to the stock leaf spring perches which like to bend. Though I could see how you would want to only mess with what they told you to for now too. At least until it is good to go from their eyes.

Is this process the same say if you had a car made for the German market but of the same year?? Or do they simply not exist anymore.
how to say, the certificator told me to do the measurement at 3000 rpm then, I hope the wool stays in that long,
the trans cooler lines I will take a picture, its basiscally routed on the passenger side to the front (metal lines with some screw in connectors) and then moving to soft line for the cooler.
I did not connect it to the water cooler, as I mostly don't like water and oil heat exchange, if the oil is hotter than water it will negatively effect cooling and other way round... sure it will warm up slower.

my most loved solution would be aeroquip or earls connectors screwed into gearbox and then softlines in the passenger frame rail to the front and the cooler, then it can be most away from exhaust hot side.

for the brackets - yes, I will take a picture as well, for me this looks like stock and again I don't think the car is lifted at all, it only looks like due to 33 inch tires, which are kinda big for the average german "user".

what gussets to add where exactly? When I have a welder this will be more easy.

I will add pictures to my post above, did forget!

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #652 ·
so then I want to share another 2 things

I found a rather heavy Bronco build on Instagram by incident, big axles on that car, like the stripes, think I will get these from Pheonix some day....

would be interested to know what axles this guy is really using, superduty can mean a lot.... not sure if this is good or only heavy.

and then my wife.

around 7-8 years ago I wanted to buy a Cherokee XJ Jeep with a petrol 4.0 V6, as I kinda liked the style and car at all. she denied it....

then we are watching "Matt's Offroad Recovery" on Youtube at the moment (great Cherokee build, nice rescues, stupid people taking Prius and Teslas into the wild and such) and then she came along with that XJ ;-)
The Bronc is too rough for her she says, especially with that big engine etc etc. but she likes the fact to might have a car that can do winter and maybe the perfect dog transporter....

so we are looking for one.
this we will have a look at the weekend:

362.jpg

quite some miles driven, but lets see, priced close to 8000 euro,

if we buy something, then my F100 plan will be moved far away.... but ok, Bronc is not ready at all. :cool:

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,769 Posts
With all those cars, you're going to need more garage space...:LOL:..It's funny you mentioned Matt's offroad, I just started watching his videos on youtube, they're pretty entertaining..those guys get into some hairy situations..

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #654 ·
This is what I told my wife!
My company car, the E class needs to stay out on pavement!

as our new house project died due to lots of unclear behaviors of the company we contracted, we stepped back without damage and now try buying the house we live in.
That will then mean still the small garage, but I try to get a huge carport just in front of it, covering the whole driveway 8meters wide, 6meters deep, that would make it acceptable :)

Oh yeah, Matts offroad - I like those guys, not making big story, let speak facts and they do not hide mistakes, this I like a lot!!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Wow y’all had an adventure. Send me a picture of the shock brackets you may need, I may have some in the shop.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #656 ·
Today‘s update

Trailer - sorted
Payment for trailering the trailer in - done 572 euro (crazy cash)

Bronco - back home - parked in the driveway

B53CC302-BA09-41DA-B3CD-29C606621553.jpeg

rear axle shock brackets:

F3369373-3A8D-434E-A7A2-13E4822AB24E.jpeg

Trans cooler lines

D0ADD7E9-4D9C-4504-8490-3DD4AF300983.jpeg 4082A155-164E-49D5-B66C-D98D30D00918.jpeg

·
Registered
274 Posts
You will make it all perfect. Let me know if you need anything

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Thanks for all your fingers being pressed until blue.

it took us 6,5 hours to trailer the Bronco to the us car garage, well, then 2 hours waiting for the person showing up late, but no matter that, he was a nice and totally relaxed expert. (we could barely drive faster than 85 km/h due to winds)

View attachment 179076 here's our road train, I need to admit, a inline 6 petrol turbo charged engine plus a big battery and electric motors is perfect for pulling, perfect torque from idle. the BMW only consumed 12-13 liters per 100 km which is around 18-19 mpg.

It did help, but not completly. o_O:eek::oops:

View attachment 179077 Bronc waiting for exam

I gotta have a list now, which I need to fix and then proove by pictures and videos! The certificator himself drives a Ford Police Interceptor from the 90's or such, nice guy, some kind of expert, as he identified quite quickly there is a build 460 big block in, instead of the 400 engine. Further he states my car is lifted, and the rear shock flanges have been re-welded on my axle - but in bad quality.

View attachment 179078

Technically the car was mostly good, no body talked about the paint (as if they knew I would pull my axe otherwise)....
for the brakes I even got positive thumbs up, as really strong and totally even per each axle, no left or right with big differences.

Here's the list about things the guy did not like too much:
  1. "adjusted" dyno sheet to max 215 hp instead of whatever the engine has. -> stating the 400 had around 160hp, so max 40% more power is allowed, otherwise I need a huge big shit of testing the car needs to go through!!
  2. get the silencers filled with metal whool to make it more silent, less loud
  3. re-route trans cooler lines
  4. put a self securing nut on the steering dampener
  5. measure height
  6. measure weight
  7. re-route parking brake cables
  8. re-weld rear shock flanges
  9. cover tire thread surface with some kind of rubber in the wheel wells

then I shall have my papers with historic certificate.

1. we may do something, can not write it down in public
2. I will put lots of metal whool inside and take a video from 7meters behind the car at 2/3 of max rpm, we said max is 4600 so I will do it around 3000 rpm....
3. easy, wanted to do this with softlines anyhow, same as 4+5+6 will be no big deal
7. gotta figure out where to route, but basically ok
8. thats me ordering a welder now!!!
9. ordered on ebay, need to stay on for the moment.

This certication process now was purely on technical points and function, which I like, as I want to have a that works safe on the roads....

big downside/trouble of the day
On the way back we had some bad luck with police stopping us, as we did not wear masks in the car, and my friend with the X5 did not have his drivers license with him, so we went into trouble 200 km from home :oops: - shortly before closing hours 10 pm in the evening hour start.
closing hours : currently due to Covid, you are only allowed to be outside your ground between 10 pm in the evening and 5 am in the morning for work reason.
As I am not allowed to drive more than 3,5 total weight without an extra license, the police called a truck taking our trailer in possession as my friend was not allowed to even more the car 1meter without being arrested,

View attachment 179079

So, bad shit luck day - some mix of it
I have to organize getting trailer with Bronco home today somehow, but I have to work until tonight, so lets see how to do.

Cops have nothing to do at the moment, as highways are quite empty.... they really made the country much safer taking our "train" off the road.... what jerks!

The south flag was in the trailer from my other friend with the us cars shop that couldn't do the certification, I see it less and less sweeping through pictures from US, you will be right @jermil01 with your reasoning!
What the **** kind of stazi bullshit is that??? Masks in the car???

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,769 Posts
I can see the point about the tranny lines, but the rear shock mount is the same as every other Bronco on the road, or are yours cracked??

641 - 660 of 670 Posts