Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
701 - 720 of 791 Posts
Discussion starter · #701 ·
so Guys, even my eyes were really giving me citrus yesterday, I finished up... surely not perfect, but gives me some idea of how nice Wimbledon white looks in as new/fresh condition...

got that broken screw out, but need 2 new ones, what size are the tire carrier ones and where to order? Maybe you can help me with simple hardware store support

Outerwear Dress shirt Textile Sleeve Grey

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle
Motor vehicle Bumper Fender Gas Automotive exterior

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Wheel Car Automotive side marker light

Gotta order 2 cans of the color and the do the tailgate.

replace the plastic balls in the window Motor with stainless marbels (11mm) and replace the glass run seals at the same time.
Maybe next weekend...
Then at least the tailgate and rear will be ok if you do not come closer than 2 meters

Further worked on the throttle linkage, as the resistance on the First 5-20% was rather high, and you could not rev it „linear“...

this works much better now

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Light

That’s it for now...

Further worked on the throttle linkage, as the resistance on the First 5-20% was rather high, and you could not rev it „linear“...

On mine I had to make the spring on my secondary shaft tighter to fix my problem with the secondaries not closing all the way when I let off the throttle and then because of that I had a reaaally big problem with "tip in". I put on an extension for the Sniper's throttle linkage which makes a huge difference. For me it almost made it too easy to push the pedal, so I put on an aftermarket double return spring. With the double return spring and the extension, it's perfect now. I wish it had been perfect out of the box though!

Discussion starter · #703 ·
can you get me a picture of the exension?
There is something you can buy from Holley, but nore sure if I can easily fabricate this myself and don t have to pay for it....

Mine is the Holley piece (from efisystempro) and if you are able to bend a piece of metal and drill a few holes I'm sure you could make your own. My setup will look a little different than yours. They used rods up till 78 and then went to cables in 79. There's a few differences like that from 78 to 79.

Extension.

No extension.

I can take more pics of it up close if you need them. Here's a pic of it from the efisystempro website. It's expensive from that site, for what it is, but I was ordering some other things like the CAN bus extension, so I just added that on to my order. Why not.

Discussion starter · #705 ·
Thats perfect
Thank you!

It may already help if I use a return sprint at all, at it mostly stays now at 2-5% throttle instead going to 0.
additionally I wanted to make the hole in my rod lever from the pedal a bit bigger, it now perfectly adopts the threaded bar, but may be better if there a slight play in it, so that no part of the thread can hook up with the lever I have there.

will try try it.

Yes, you definitely want a return spring. A lot of guys on the Holley forum have complained about symptoms like what you have and it turns out they aren't using a return spring. Each shaft on the Sniper has it's own spring, but it's not quite enough on its own and Holley even says to use one.

Discussion starter · #707 ·
you will be right with that - the 2 springs for the 2 shafts will not have enough force to do the job

I will just add it, but I only have the return issue since I changed from cable to the rod.

Holley has the extension for $13, essentially the same. I had double return springs which made the pedal too stiff and hard to "feather" it with clutch use on take-off. I took the weaker of the 2 springs off and it is way improved, but still a bit too surgy on tip in. After a suggestion over on my build thread, I also had seen a couple YouTube video where you change the secondary linkage and adjust your settings on the interface screen so the secondaries open later, like 48% or less if you tweak it a little. That linkage can be had from Holley also. The guy in this video doesn't go thru adjust the TPS on the interface, but there's a couple other videos of how to do so.

Reactions: simrokkzz
Good info in this. I will likely copy some of it to here
at some point.

I didn't think it feels weird to me at all. But I had to stiffen up the carb setup as I like the pedal a little harder, easier to control when going at some speed in the dunes...

Good info in this. I will likely copy some of it to here
at some point.

I didn't think it feels weird to me at all. But I had to stiffen up the carb setup as I like the pedal a little harder, easier to control when going at some speed in the dunes...

I'm assuming they changed things or "fixed" that issue on the super sniper. I just have the regular sniper and it's an earlier revision of it, they've changed/fixed things since I got mine.

It really is a balancing act to get the pedal feel right though. I do like a stiffer pedal to keep your foot from pushing it down while going over rough terrain, especially at speed, but I like to crawl and having a nice, relatively easy to press pedal to get just that tiny smidge of throttle to go up a rock is ideal for me. Especially having a manual tranny and working the clutch on take offs. I tried several combos. I still have linkage to try a progressive setup (what @2ndHelping was referring to), but I found a combo that worked for me before I got that put on.

Discussion starter · #711 ·
Hey Guys
not too much of an update, I changed wiper blades and leaned out the stock sniper harness a bit last week.
Thats it, waiting for certification papers....

But I found out my rear axle is leaking slightly at the drums. So I expect my axle bearings are finally shot, did not even know there are some.... anyhow, ordered some at Rockauto, to arrive friday, will install on the weekend, but do hope I can leave the race from the axle bearing in place.
If not I will need 2 new races, so new set of bearings.

I hate to be that guy.... I have not had good luck not doing the whole bearing set on a 9" ford before.
Also they are fun to do as you have to press them on and off. Or cut the retainer and split it to get them off. I have done it both ways.
Don't forget the retainer plates when your doing the bearings, lol, somewhat easy to do if you havent done a set before.

Discussion starter · #713 ·
Well, did it before but was not really aware of the seals.
I hammered the bearings on with a big pipe and big hammer.
Will not do it again this way. A 12 ton press costs 150 euros, so I will get this before I do it again.

between the lines you tell me axle race gotta go out to install the axle bearings?
I fully agree it’s not a good idea to use races from different bearing sets, so let’s see.
My bearing set is basically new ~ 150 km/
100 miles on them.

So maybe I get a new set of Timken bearings and only use the Race of it…

well, couldve ordered it all together, but why do it the simple and cheaper way :)

I say that because on those bearings the seal is usually right there between the 2 parts of the bearing. Not sure of the luck you will have re-sealing it without puttting them in as 1 unit.

Discussion starter · #715 ·
not to have a misunderstanding here.

I refer to this schematics

fromt outside to inner side:
retainer plate
retainer gasket (prevent brake dust into bearing, did not apply it)
axle bearing, (shall be 4 parts, ring with rubber lip, bearing, race and the smaller diameter metal ring)
axle seal
another retainer gasket

So I am really unsure if I have an axle seal at all.
I will drain oil and have a look on the weekend, if none installed, then I gotta get the race from the axle out and so on, correct?

Here is what I did somehwere last year (before "pressing" the bearing package on)

Things like this I leave up to my brother! This is the stuff that get him excited.

Discussion starter · #717 ·
Discussion starter · #718 ·
But good news as well:

WOOOOHOOOOOOO
on my 40th birthday this weeks Tuesday, I was informed by the certificator, he approved my historic car status and will send the papers shortly to me.

that is great !!! I can register the car!!!

But good news as well:

WOOOOHOOOOOOO
on my 40th birthday this weeks Tuesday, I was informed by the certificator, he approved my historic car status and will send the papers shortly to me.

that is great !!! I can register the car!!!
Congrats Simon..you stuck with to the end and all your hard work finally paid off. That is great news.

But good news as well:
WOOOOHOOOOOOO
on my 40th birthday this weeks Tuesday, I was informed by the certificator, he approved my historic car status and will send the papers shortly to me. that is great !!! I can register the car!!!
Outstanding news Simon, way to go! We know you will enjoy driving your rig all around the country side garnishing looks from everyone! You've earned it.

701 - 720 of 791 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.