Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas...I've been dome lightless in my Bronco for far too long. I recently came across a parts Bronco and nabbed everything a I could. It should just be a matter of routing the wiring from the plug behind the dash, up the A pillar, under the headliner to the dome light area...correct? But then how and where do those wires get attached? The wires were cut, but I believe there should be a 'tab' on the end of them that kinda looks riveted in. Can I get away with not having those tabs? And it's to this point where I get stumped, what do I need to do next? What do I do with the wires and then is it just a matter of screwing the dome light housing in? Then I'll be good to go? So any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
The power lead is a push in clip that goes into a square hole. When you mount the dome light it screws into that clip and makes a power connection and also secures that corner of the light. The ground is just a matter of screwing it down.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So for the power, should I go with eyelet end and try to get the screw through it? Because both ends are snipped.

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
As long as it does not touch metal then you can do that. If it touches metal it is a direct short. I don't know how tight you would be able to ge it plus it may come loose with vibration.

With my new dome lamp I'm putting in the crew I am going to solder the wire to the contact. I'll place another screw in another area of that corner to secure the light.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Scott...Last question, of the two wires which is the hot? One line is green and one is green with a yellow stripe. I was assuming the solid green was the ground.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright guys...I'm having some issues with my dome light install in the Bronco. Dunno if I'm stupid or what. First off, I can't get the damn lights to come on. I've got power to housing and when take the map light bulb out and hook it directly to a 12v source the light comes on. I used a ground wire from the housing to a good ground. Then tried putting the hot every damn place I could...and I couldn't get the light to come on. It appears I have power to the socket...but it's actually the socket and not the little plate that the bottom of the bulb sits on. I don't understand how I can have power to the socket and a good bulb, yet I can't make the bulb light up. So if any of that made sense, or you know where the wires need to be to make this thing work, lemme know. FWIW...I was just dealing with the map lights, the actual dome light was blown. Here's what I'm working with:

Can't remember from last night, but I believe the green (for the map lights I assume) is hot all the time and blue (for the dome) is only hot when the headlight knob is switched on:

Seeing as I don't have the stock ends to those wires, I was just going to solder the wires to the proper contact. But I don't have a damn clue which wire goes where. HELP!!!!! Then it needs to be grounded as well, suggestions?

So if any of you would be kind enough to tell me which wire goes where and the best route to ground this thing, I'd greatly appreciate.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I realized my door jamb switches are trashed, assuming the dome light is looped into the door switches, would that explain the issues I'm having?

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Without having mine in front of me to view the topside I can't tell you which wire goes where. If you look at the topside you can follow the metal contacts to see which one is running to which light. On the light itself the silver contacts are for power and the gold color is your ground.

The ground is picked up from mounting. You need a full power for the map lights to work, the dome lamp gets it power from the door jamb switch or the headlight switch if turned to the far left.

Your going to solder? :wowcb:Aren't you afraid of it being "hokey built"?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Without having mine in front of me to view the topside I can't tell you which wire goes where. If you look at the topside you can follow the metal contacts to see which one is running to which light. On the light itself the silver contacts are for power and the gold color is your ground.

The ground is picked up from mounting. You need a full power for the map lights to work, the dome lamp gets it power from the door jamb switch or the headlight switch if turned to the far left.
Alright, thanks Scott. So more than likely there wasn't a good ground with what I was doing and that's why I couldn't get power from the map lights. And my door jamb switches are junk so that's why the dome wouldn't work.

Your going to solder? :wowcb:Aren't you afraid of it being "hokey built"?:rolleyes:
I would be...but it seems like I got the idea from somewhere...and his stuff usually turns out alright.

With my new dome lamp I'm putting in the crew I am going to solder the wire to the contact. I'll place another screw in another area of that corner to secure the light.

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
I would be...but it seems like I got the idea from somewhere...and his stuff usually turns out alright.
And the "hokey built" is from somewhere else in this thread. Trent has this idea that if it isn't done per factory specs you have turned it into a pile of shit.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
And the "hokey built" is from somewhere else in this thread. Trent has this idea that if it isn't done per factory specs you have turned it into a pile of shit.

I am not so worried about factory specs hell not many of my rigs meet factory spec not even close

however I do have a problem with halfass work that is not well thought out or done correctly

when I was 16 I did the solder the wire to the map light thing cam out like shit looked like chicken shit and quit working after a bit as the solder didn't like the coating on the tabs:goodfinge

you of all people scott I would never figure you to half ass something with your attention to detail so I was shocked to hear you mention you would just solder the wire onto the light but it is your truck and you get to live with that hokey shit not really my problem as I know mine are installed correct and I feel good about job well done:thumbup

1 - 13 of 13 Posts