Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 382 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The journey begins.........

She just got picked up in Oregon, about to make the long 2 week trip to Chicago.

I've been reading a ton of rebuild posts and can't wait to get started. I looked into crate engines but have decided to probably rebuild the current 400.

The free wheeling color scheme was really nice back in the 70's, but a little to disco for me. Going to be redone in blue and white.

More pictures on arrival day.

·
Premium Member
3,696 Posts
Looks nice. Wow, tough call on the FW scheme - when done right they really look good - have you seen this thread? Or this one?

Understand it's a bit flashy, but hate to lose a rare Bronco! On the other hand if the decals are not near perfect (it looks like yours are not near perfect) there is nobody making replacement decals.

Since it's already black I think I'd go with a black and silver 2-tone instead of blue and white. Check out Ranger429's.

In any case, it looks like a great start! :thumbup

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tons of pictures will be posted once it gets here.

Scoop, I struggled with the color scheme, and still am actually. I probably will be until the new color actually goes on.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Since it's already black I think I'd go with a black and silver 2-tone instead of blue and white. Check out Ranger429's.

In any case, it looks like a great start! :thumbup
This. Not that it matters what I think, it's your wagon. Make it what you want.

Looks like a really nice Bronco to start with! The 78/79 is probably my favorite, but I haven't found one...yet.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, it's mine just like the decision of paint motor etc...... But, I'm enjoying the suggestions from you all who have restored/rebuilt these already.

I'm not a rookie to Broncos. I bought brand new, a '78 Bronco in the summer of '78 after graduating high school. It was a Blue and White Custom with a bench seat and automatic transmission. My mother has pictures of me with if from the winter of 79-79. I'll get them and post those as well as progress pictures of this Bronco.

That '78 Bronco was the one vehicle I've owned that I regretted parting with. Maybe it was my come of age vehicle? Or who knows...... I've owned a couple of navigators, my current vehicle is a 2010 Navigator,but they are not that first bronco. :barf

I can't wait.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's here!! :rockon

Arrived just after 6:00 this morning so only had a few minutes to snap a couple of pictures with my iPhone.

I liked this one next to my 2010 Navigator. Imagine getting in a time traveling machine in '79 and coming out today. I didn't realize the difference was SO great and how futuristic the front of the Navigator looks compared to the Bronco.

More detailed pictures when I get home. Hopefully the motor comes out this weekend.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Where in Oregon did you get that from? I've probably seen it around.
I have one just like it, and I am the only guy on the planet with reproduction chromatic reflective stripes. I understand you're not the biggest fan of those stripes, but for $600 plus shipping you can have a new set to make that Bronco really stand out. They are reflective, they light up like street signs at night. Just hate to see a rare Bronco lose its stripes...

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Where in Oregon did you get that from? I've probably seen it around.
I have one just like it, and I am the only guy on the planet with reproduction chromatic reflective stripes. I understand you're not the biggest fan of those stripes, but for $600 plus shipping you can have a new set to make that Bronco really stand out. They are reflective, they light up like street signs at night. Just hate to see a rare Bronco lose its stripes...
It came from outside Portland.

After following your thread about the stripes you had made, I gave it a lot of thought. But, if I just wouldn't have the attachment to it that I will when it's done like my old Bronco.

With that said, I have a ways to go before paint. If I change my mind I'll definitely be in touch. :thumbup

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Not quite sure what this is or why it's grounded to the hood?

This looks like a trans cooler? Maybe?

The top looks pretty good on the outside. But on the inside I believe, I'm going from memories of 34 years ago, that the trim piece is missing? Looks like I'm replacing the inside trim panels all around too. Which isn't a tragedy, I'm deciding if I want to bring it back to some form of the stock interior or snaz it up a bit...

Drivers seat is in sorry shape but I'm recovering everything anyway. The rest of the inside isn't bad. Mostly faded carpet.

Engine pull got put on hold for a week or so. Just to much going on this weekend and upcoming week. Not the worse thing in the world though. I've been driving it a bit and enjoying the hell out of it. Idles a little rough once it gets warmed up but runs pretty well.

I didn't remember the steering wheel being as close to me when I had my original. Oh wait, I didn't have a belly then. :histerica

·
Premium Member
2,012 Posts
I've been watching yours. Hoping to get a few clues as to what is coming.
Hopefully it doesn't scare you off! :rofl:

Yours look good. Keep the pics coming. Looks clean. Is that a factory installed CB? I've heard of them but never seen pics.

I'm guessing on the ground wire to the hood. I know some had a light under the hood that came on when the hood was raised? I think mine had the light but I don't currently have a ground wire. I'm sure one of the experts will jump in and confirm.

Your engine bay looks complete. I'm missing the AC on mine. I will need to get mine working again someday.

So you plan to pull the engine?

Keep the pics coming. Look forward to following the build.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Good looking Bronco....had friend in High School with one the same colors. I forgot about it, those were cool back in the day..LOL
There are trim pieces missing along with the little brackets used to mount them. We took the top off our 78 today, can get pics of the pieces if you want

1 - 20 of 382 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.