Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 79 bronco with 351m, pretty stock truck. I have been slowly restoring it with a new used driver door, and tailgate. I have been running the truck several times a week, with no real issues. I took the family on a short drive tonight and everything seemed to be fine, traveling about 60 mph when the truck stumbled and only partially recovered. I could tell something was wrong with the engine losing power. I turned around and headed home finding that the truck didn’t want to shift out of 1st or 2nd gear. Finally I realized the gas pedal would stop half way down , then with heavy pressure it would over come the stop and go all the way down. It does this now running or not. When I got home, it was running hot and rough. Sounded like it had a cam in it at idle. Frustrating since it have all the other things fixed. Any ideas?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just went out and checked it again, and using the trottle linkage to rev up the motor, the carb seems to be limiting itself or causing the trottle to only be opened up just a little before it stops. Weird. I replaced the carb about 6 months ago with no real issues. Motorcraft 2350? Stock replacement 2barrel carb

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,730 Posts
Sounds like maybe something going on with linkage or choke. I'd take breather off and see what I could find. .
The C6 will shift with vacuum signal so a vacuum leak can effect this and also the carb. Though low vacuum will make c6 shift high and firm, as it will be like under heavy acceleration

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Crazy! I found a large vacuum hose off of the tree that I believe runs to the Trans. That explains a lot about the idle, and trans shifting issues. The carb however still only depresses about 1/2 inch before stopping and thats with the engine off or on...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Still chasing down the reason why the 2150 autolite carb wont allow the accelator or throttle linkage to be moved with the engine on or off in the direction of acceleration? Could there be some sort of pressure build up inside the carb not allowing the accelerator pump to be activated? I cant find anything about this in my searches either

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Still chasing down the reason why the 2150 autolite carb wont allow the accelator or throttle linkage to be moved with the engine on or off in the direction of acceleration? Could there be some sort of pressure build up inside the carb not allowing the accelerator pump to be activated? I cant find anything about this in my searches either
If you take the throttle linkage off of the carb is there any snags when pulling on it? How about the carb? if you manually move the linkage on the carb does it still act like it doesnt want to move?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you take the throttle linkage off of the carb is there any snags when pulling on it? How about the carb? if you manually move the linkage on the carb does it still act like it doesnt want to move?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Figured it out. I finally was able to take the carb off completely. When I looked down in the carb through the top butterfly valve, I see that one of the venturis has fallen off of the bracket and dropped down on to the top of the round butterfly valves. It had wedged itself in there and was not allowing the throttle to open up. Very weird. I was able to get the carb apart and free the venturi peice, and get it back on the bracket. Weird. Could a backfire cause something like this?

·
Registered
522 Posts
I wouldn’t think so but anything is possible
If the 2150 is trashed consider a Holley
They have one now that is a 2 barrel 500 cfm
The body looks a lot like the 2150
I like mine so much on my 78 bronco I had to get another for the 79
Runs terrific Not that 2150 is a bad carb

1 - 8 of 8 Posts