Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I replaced a lot of new parts when I went through the front axle (dana 44) but when I try to tighten the outer spindle nut to lock it all in place it also tightens the inner. The spindle nuts and lock washer are used on that side. The other side is all new and had no issue. Tried torquing to 100. Is it the nut itself?

·
Joisey don't smell funny
78 Bronco Custom, 460/ZF5, Sniper upgrade, 3G, dual batt
1,391 Posts
Make sure you don't have the nuts reversed. The nut with the little lock pin goes on 1st, with the pin facing out. Then the lock washer with all the holes goes next, then the 2nd nut.

Reactions: Johnnyreb1

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Make sure you don't have the nuts reversed. The nut with the little lock pin goes on 1st, with the pin facing out. Then the lock washer with all the holes goes next, then the 2nd nut.
I dont, I've checked that, although a good suggestion

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sometimes the tab on the washer that sits in the groove gets worn and it will slide out of the groove, letting the inner nut spin.
Mine looks fine, and when I tighten the outer nut then take it off the inner one hasn't moved

·
Registered
839 Posts
Mine looks fine, and when I tighten the outer nut then take it off the inner one hasn't moved
It clearly isn't fine. It can't physically tighten the inner nut. The washer with holes stops the inner nut from turning. The outer nut locks it into place.

How do you know the inner nut is tightening?

·
Premium Member
3,521 Posts
It clearly isn't fine. It can't physically tighten the inner nut. The washer with holes stops the inner nut from turning. The outer nut locks it into place.

This!! You either have worn or broken parts, or are not putting them in correctly.
Please post up a pic of how you are installing inner nut and locking ring.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I know that, I'm not sure how but when I tighten the outer nut it siezes the whole rotor until I loosen it again, I'm gonna check spindle and nut threads today

·
Joisey don't smell funny
1,391 Posts
Is it possible the wrong bearing set is in there? I would look at that, or...
The threads where the inner nut is sitting is not holding the nut in place due to excessive wear. Something sounds very quirky there.

Reactions: Johnnyreb1

·
Joisey don't smell funny
1,391 Posts
Order a new locking nut/washer set to go with the new spindle also. You don't want to mess up the new spindle by trying to re-use the old nuts. (y)

Reactions: canuckistan97

·
Registered
2-78 bronco,s-I is a ranger xlt and one is a custom-It has original 4 speed and I put a 390 in it
122 Posts
Well after taking everything apart it turns out there was a crushed thread and I need a new spindle 😑
See if you can find a tap and die set and clean the threads up.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Order a new locking nut/washer set to go with the new spindle also. You don't want to mess up the new spindle by trying to re-use the old nuts. (y)
Just did that, hurt the wallet but it's done.
Be safe. Take no chances. I have a friend who lost a wheel on his bronco and rolled several times on the freeway
I'm not, all new parts on the way, hope your friend was ok

1 - 14 of 14 Posts