Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to replace my entire wire harness eather with a stock harness or aftermarket does any one have any advice?

·
Premium Member
2,168 Posts
Good luck finding one unless you have it custom made or dig one out of the junk yard. What are your reasons for replacing it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
when i found the truck it had been in the woods for 3years and rats and animals have eaten the harness to bits

·
Registered
203 Posts
See if Centeck (sp?) has one for the broncos. Guys seem to like the mfor the 73-79 F series which should be the same. Guys say quality is on par with Painless but the price is a little more "pianless" - crappy pun intended:doh0715:

·
Registered
203 Posts
how come no one makes a aftermarket harness i was supprised lmc doesent even have any thing at all

I was gonna say because it's easy enough to wire one from scratch if you know what you are doing. But maybe I'm the exception not the norm.

Grab a univerasl one from eBay if the Centec or Painless cost too much.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
They are SUPER easy to remove & install....

Theres 6 separate ones if I remember right....

1 for each side for front & rear lights,1 from the firewall to the rear & the under dash that goes out to the engine compartment

I actualy have 1 extra set of these but I need to keep it for now....

·
Chillin on the Gulf Coast
1,587 Posts
I recently found a good deal on a 79' bronco myself that has had the harness removed and the old harness got thrown away. I would have no problem wiring a new harness but would really like to have a factory type colored harness for any future trouble shooting. I think that a f-150 harness would make an excellent starting point, but I know that I would also have to add circuits to one for the rear window. I have always been a big fan of wiring things so that they last, so I dont want a booty fabbed harness. Is wiring the rear window easy enough to be worth just getting a f-150 harness, or would it be easier to get the universal kit and use and extra circuit for the rear window?

·
Certified Asshat
3,749 Posts
What a timely thread. I've been looking for the exact same harness. Painless' tech support just emailed me today saying they have two harnesses, one with switches an one without, but they're for '73-'77 F-Series.

Anybody know if that will work?

I've called JBG, Wild Horses, checked Centech's website and now heard back from Painless. Why the hell is there nobody selling a complete bumper to bumper harness for these model years?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I recently found a good deal on a 79' bronco myself that has had the harness removed and the old harness got thrown away. I would have no problem wiring a new harness but would really like to have a factory type colored harness for any future trouble shooting. I think that a f-150 harness would make an excellent starting point, but I know that I would also have to add circuits to one for the rear window. I have always been a big fan of wiring things so that they last, so I dont want a booty fabbed harness. Is wiring the rear window easy enough to be worth just getting a f-150 harness, or would it be easier to get the universal kit and use and extra circuit for the rear window?

Unless it's a concourse, car show build which I'm not sure anybody would eve do for one of these things just wire it yourself and make your own wiring diagram.

I've seen some pretty nice ones that I think guys do on microsoft paint or something. Print it out on 8.5x11 or smaller, laminate it and keep it in the truck = easy.

·
Certified Asshat
3,749 Posts
Unless it's a concourse, car show build which I'm not sure anybody would eve do for one of these things just wire it yourself and make your own wiring diagram.

I've seen some pretty nice ones that I think guys do on microsoft paint or something. Print it out on 8.5x11 or smaller, laminate it and keep it in the truck = easy.
You're operating under the assumption that we're not all "electrical numbnuts." I, for one, am definitely stupid when it comes to electrical. I want the thing to come with pictures that are labeled with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one telling what each one is about. (Forgive the Arlo Guthrie reference.)

I can slop together some soldering work, install connectors, etc. but I don't have a damn clue why the white wire with the yellow stripe needs to be connected to the terminal post that shares the green wire with the zebra print on it. Or whatever. :smilie_slap

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yeah - sorry about that.

I too consider myself an electrical "dummy" but I have been doing more and more of it with the last few projects and it's not as hard as most people make it out to be.

If you have a stock harness to look at it is actually semi easy to copy - even when the thing is in the truck.

You can run new strands of wire following the path of the stock ones and then change the connectors/plugs from the stock lines to the new wires.

If you happen to change wire color while doing this - just make notes and type it all out later then leave a copy of that in the truck. It's easier if you keep certain colors for certain things. Such as - use yellow wire for lights, blue for cooling system or water stuff, green for power windows, etc. etc.

If you take your time it's not as hard as it looks at 1st:beer

·
Certified Asshat
3,749 Posts
Yeah - sorry about that.

I too consider myself an electrical "dummy" but I have been doing more and more of it with the last few projects and it's not as hard as most people make it out to be.

If you have a stock harness to look at it is actually semi easy to copy - even when the thing is in the truck.

You can run new strands of wire following the path of the stock ones and then change the connectors/plugs from the stock lines to the new wires.

If you happen to change wire color while doing this - just make notes and type it all out later then leave a copy of that in the truck. It's easier if you keep certain colors for certain things. Such as - use yellow wire for lights, blue for cooling system or water stuff, green for power windows, etc. etc.

If you take your time it's not as hard as it looks at 1st:beer
That doesn't sound unreasonable. Did you buy yours as a kit from one of these online vendors or just buy spools of wire from an electronics place?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I guess I should stop throwing away those harnesses. I know that there is one in the JY here, but the thought of spending 3 hours out in the cold( it's up to 0 here today with the windchill) If you're not in in a huge hurry I can stop out there tomorrow and make sure that the guy doesn't crush it. How much isit worth if it isn't all hacked up? Email me @[email protected]
Swamp

1 - 20 of 28 Posts