Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to put coils off of a '79 Bronco with a 400 onto my '89 Bronc with a 351w and dual shocks? If it is possible will it lift the front of my truck at all? If not how could I get the front of the Bronc up about 3"? (Don't want any pitman arm/geometry problems. Lift kits too expensive!) Any help would be cool. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
No lift..but anything is POSSABLE. you would have to mod your coil perches.

You COULD run coil spacers, but I wouldnt recomend it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
BigBroncoXLT said:
No lift..but anything is POSSABLE. you would have to mod your coil perches.

You COULD run coil spacers, but I wouldnt recomend it.
Yeah what he said

·
Registered
55 Posts
What about a set of lifted coils? Seen them on ebay for around $100. I dont think the pitman arm is an issue below 4"

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I heard coils from a 79 with a bigger engine would lift the front end but I believe what you guys say. I dont want to run spacers because my passenger side coil is bent. (Big Pothole...) Also, i can't find any 2.5" - 3" coils on eBay. Only 1.5" leveling coils. I would like to find some 3" coils and put 1.5" - 2" AAL's to put on my truck to clear 33" Swampers i plan to put on after the MT/R's wear down. Any links or references will be great. Thanx!

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
The 79 coil is different on the bottom where it would bolt to the TTB, so you can't run it without modifying either the coil or your coil mount. As for just putting in taller coils without the rest of the lift kit, don't do it. The problem is that will leave your camber so far out of whack that you won't be able to get your front end properly aligned again. What a lift kit does is drop the TTB pivot points and the radius arms down to compensate for the taller coils, which makes only a minor camber change which is alignable. If you really want some lift and can't afford a new lift kit buy one used, they come up for sale on here all the time. Heck, I've got most of a 4" kit laying in my garage, shoot me a PM if you're interested in it.

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
broncomudder89 said:
I heard coils from a 79 with a bigger engine would lift the front end but I believe what you guys say. I dont want to run spacers because my passenger side coil is bent. (Big Pothole...) Also, i can't find any 2.5" - 3" coils on eBay. Only 1.5" leveling coils. I would like to find some 3" coils and put 1.5" - 2" AAL's to put on my truck to clear 33" Swampers i plan to put on after the MT/R's wear down. Any links or references will be great. Thanx!
Well, you know there's more places to buy from than just eBay, right?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The camber is off anyway, the wheels tilt inward, nothing I can do about it. Anyway, thanks for the help but I have done some research and a Rough Country Basic 6" Lift will run me about $489 and the new springs, dual front shocks, aal's, and new rear shocks I was thinking of buying almost get me up to $400. Seems better for the long term to go ahead and do the 6". Might look dum with the 32's though. Oh well...

·
Registered
559 Posts
Just go 4".. I ran 35's on a 4" kit for a while, and it works great.. Keeps your cog lower also.. Its not like you are getting any more articulation with a 6" kit anyways.. My avatar is my 93 on 35's with a 4in lift..

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the 4" is like $449 and the 6" is like $489 so i'm gonna go ahead with the 6".

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another question. Could some coils from an F250 TTB '87-'96 460 lift it at all?

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
It might, Ive heard of people using a coil from an extended cab F-150 as leveling coils... Its not going to be any huge amount, but make take the front up level with the back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts