Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
79 D44-93 Driveshaft U-joint.. SOLVED!!

I need the correct joint to mate my 79 D44 to my 93 Driveshaft.. I bought a Brute Force 2-4900BF, but it is too wide on the D44 side.. The caps are the right dia, bit it wont fit into the yoke.. Do I need the Brute Force 0134??
Gotta go get the right one tomorrow.. Thanks..

Brian

·
Registered
16 Posts
Why don't you just use the yoke from the TTB on the D44 and use the ujoint for the '93? That's what I've got in my '88 F-150 SAS.

Sean

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Mustangsean said:
Why don't you just use the yoke from the TTB on the D44 and use the ujoint for the '93? That's what I've got in my '88 F-150 SAS.

Sean

thats what I did on my 88. Id find another yoke instead of making a basturd u-joint.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You dont have to make a bastard u-joint.. the companies make them, but there are about 10,000 part numbers and the counter guys in general dont want to take the time to work with you.. I think i figured it out though.. Looks like i need one that is 3.219x3.622 with 1.063 and 1.125 end caps.. The brute force app guide lists this part as a P55/1310 conversion.. Not real sure what a P55 is, but the numbers seem right..

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I went to Drivetrain Industries and they set me up.. I was wrong, they actually had to make a bastard u-joint, but it was ok.. The guy there took 2 Dana joints and made one that fit the front, and the left over pieces ended up making a joint that was a direct replacement for the rear joint in the front shaft.. Those joints had never been replaced anyways... One of the bearing caps fell off and the needle bearings jusst fell out everywhere.. There wanst a lick of grease in em at all.. The new joints have grease fittings, so we wont have to worry about that happening again..

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,062 Posts
Crackhead, or anyone who has done this recently, do you have the PN'S for the two different ujoints you bought? Spicer or Brute Force, either is fine. I'm in the same boat right now, after my SAS swap. Got rid of my TTB yoke without even thinking about it. Pretty sure I could swap the caps around myself. What did you do about the Ubolts? Did you need different ones? Good to know about the left over parts making a spare for the rear.

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
Is it JUST the caps that are different?

·
Bitchin.
1,872 Posts
no. the entire body of the ujoint is oblong. 4 wheel parts or any driveline shop should carry them. they dont know they do, but they will. i bought mine at 4 wheel parts. i will find the spicer part number later for you if someone else doesnt get to it first.

·
Bitchin.
1,872 Posts
the caps will fit off of the two different years, but in doing this, you have to use the smaller inner bodied u joint in a larger yoke. this puts all of the weight towards the outside edges of the u-joint, and you WILL end up exploding a U-joint. it is not a direct match up for the rear either. what happens there is you have a ??/32 cap instead of a ??/16 cap. it seems like it fits, but it floats. just a forewarning. any REAL shop will have the hybrid U-joints available, because they do more specialty work like that. its all just a phonebook away

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,062 Posts
Thanks. That's the info I was looking for.

84x4bronco said:
no. the entire body of the ujoint is oblong. 4 wheel parts or any driveline shop should carry them. they dont know they do, but they will. i bought mine at 4 wheel parts. i will find the spicer part number later for you if someone else doesnt get to it first.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts