Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
EGR, A.I.R. pump and a Cat. I don't know about here, but back home, if the engine wasn't offered as an option, the Ref station wouldn't let it pass... ie, 460 swap wasn't legal, unless the vehicle is older than '75, then anything goes, as long as it at least passed the sniffer

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
well then, all you need is the EGR and A.I.R. pump

This is reason #3 why I prefer these 78-9s - there's practically nothing needed for smog equipment

Call your DEQ station tho, and ask about the BB swap, and see if it's legal to do for the 79. It'd sure be a shame to spend all that time, money and effort, if it won't pass smog... but then you could sell me the engine and tranny, cause I just picked up a pair of D0VE-C heads :D

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
lol, hell yeha it'd be gooder, but it won't do no good, if DEQ shoots you down. Let me know what you find out about that, I'm curious to know

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Don't know if its the same there as here but here you can do just about anyswap as long as it passes the sniffer for the year of vechicle. My 79 has egr(blocked off), Air pump, cat(plugged) and still passes the sniffer. Just remember the the smogged 460 have the timing retarted 8* from the factory to help pass the sniffer. Mine is timed "straight up" and has a hard time passing. I have to lean it out really far to where it lopes real bad at idle then it just passes.

·
Retired
16,007 Posts
In Ga all you need is a set of cats. I have 2 cats on my dual exhaust with no pump no egr no canister or any other stuff from factory. I passed with flying colors. This maybe different in you state.:toothless

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
79F150 said:
This maybe different in you state.:toothless
If only ALL the states could adopt ONE set of regulations(nad NOT california's!), with slightly more strict regs for the cities with worse emissions

Tim, I don't know what you've found out, but I pulled this from the OR DMV site -
In Portland and surrounding areas, all 1975 model year vehicles and newer must be tested. In the Medford area, all vehicles 20 years old or less must be tested. Cars, trucks, vans, motor homes and buses powered by gasoline or alternative fuels such as propane are tested. Diesel powered vehicles with manufacturer's gross weight rating of 8,500 pounds or less are tested
I couldn't find anything that says anything about engine swaps... I'd still call a DEQ office tho, to double check

·
Registered
769 Posts
i took all my EGR stuff off when i tore down the motor and i have the non-egr carb and intake now,plugged or threw out all other egr stuff but i kept my cats.

·
press ALT+F4
4,281 Posts
EGR and cat's are required on a 79 in OR, Tim. They might not catch the EGR but they WILL inspect for the cat. If you do a 460 it will need to pass the 400 emission parameters. WHatever ya do, don't tellem it's a swapped in motor! Tellem it's a 400.
Now you get to learn the biggest difference between 78's and 79's.:banghead
Good luck.

·
Registered
326 Posts
NC is pretty lenient. They didn't start testing cars till July this year and it's only for 96 and newer. But just in case.....I have a 78 that is non-emission and my 79 has a 429 swapped in. I swapped the fuel gauge and filler neck out of the 78 into the 79 because they only open the fuel door to make sure the restrictor hasn't been tampered with and now my fuel gauge doesn't say "Unleaded Fuel Only" on the bottom of it. My truck has so many engine mods that it would never pass anyway so at least now I can try to convince them it's an early 79 that fell through the cracks ;)

The closest thing to "cats" I have are the ones that like to sleep on the hood and leave paw prints everywhere :toothless

·
FSB warrior
6,118 Posts
I like the state I live in now... the only time anyone of authority looks under the hood is when the cops pull ya over and say "man that thing is fast, whatcha got under there"

Still req's cats if originally equipped unless you bought the truck without them, which I did. Exhaust has to end beyond the backseat. There is no inspection of anything.

·
haaarrrrr haaaarrrr
1,384 Posts
guess i got it good workin at the dealership. In pa u need the works for the visual test and gotta pass the 2stage sniffer test. Swappin in the 460's gonna be easy for me cause i've tossed all the emissions junk away(didn't have cat's anyway).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts