Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, figured id keep track of rebuilding the 351M on my 79 bronco

doing the rear main seal, most gaskets, clean and paint, and ill see what else needs to be done while its apart.

this is an extremely low budget build.

I started by making a hoist out of 2x6 lumber, and got that done yesterday and got the bronco in the garage, removed the 33's and let her down on a big "tray" on wheels. i think she will clear like this.

today i got 1 motor mount off and the other one i stripped the head off. and got all the bell housing bolts of, radiator hoses out, vacum canister out, windshield washer out, and started to hoist up the motor. the whole truck comes up with the motor and i tried jumping on the truck and nothing. i cant figure out whats holding it in. and it is an automatic, so do i have to take out the trans and everything with it? i really hope not but if i got to then thats all i can do. thanks

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's 4 nuts holding the torque converter to the flex plate you'll need to get out, in case you missed them.
how can i get them out without removing the trans?

·
Registered
133 Posts
how can i get them out without removing the trans?
open inspection cover(should be 2 bolts) on bottom of bellhousing and then remove torque converter bolts (4 bolts)

·
Registered
44 Posts
open inspection cover(should be 2 bolts) on bottom of bellhousing and then remove torque converter bolts (4 bolts)

A 15/16th socket will fit the harmonic balancer bolt and you can turn the crank, which turns the fly wheel on the business end of the engine. The inspection plate is in the front of the transmission on the bottom (7/16 or 3/8). Get the cover off and take the 4 nuts connecting the torgue converter and the flywheel off (9/16).

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks alot guys. thats a huge help. and yeah i know about turning the crank and removing flywheel. i done this much on my ranger.
and when i get the torque converter unbolted, will it just fall down when i get my engine in place or will it stay in the bellhousing

·
Registered
41 Posts
they come off pretty easy but goin back on is another story, and for some reason mine would only line up in a certian order like it wasnt a even circle or something, it was weird but it worked in the end

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
and when i get the torque converter unbolted, will it just fall down when i get my engine in place or will it stay in the bellhousing
There are a couple of dowel pins that you'll have to deal with as well. I just usually lift a little to separate from the motor mounts, then pull forward a little, then lift the rest of the way. Some times a dead blow helps aid in separation of the dowels. It helps if you pull the radiator and fan out/off.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks guys. i found a f350 just down the road that hasnt been used in a while with a efi 460 so plans might have changed..

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
thanks guys. i found a f350 just down the road that hasnt been used in a while with a efi 460 so plans might have changed..
Now you are talkin:thumbup

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
got the complete front clip off today. engine isnt seized on the mounts anymore its just sitting there now just gotta take the starter off tomorrow

heres how it was

this wasnt enough room to get the engine out

so here we go

and yes my engine hoist is more beefier than that now, i got 2 full length legs on the side the same as the ones there only angled out a bit

·
Registered
297 Posts
coulda shortend ur strap or used a short chain hooked to your block to get more head room on ur chain fall instead of ripping the front clip off

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
****(intercourse) me. Are you serious? That engine hoist is stupid. Hope none of your family are around when that shit collapses.

·
press ALT+F4
4,281 Posts
...and yes my engine hoist is more beefier than that now, i got 2 full length legs on the side the same as the ones there only angled out a bit
My friend, please don't do this. That is not an engine hoist, it's a disaster. It's going to hurt you and anyone who is unfortunate enough to be near it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
from what i have heard the big blocks ie 460 weigh in at around 700 pounds fully dressed, if you try to lift it up with that hoist your gonna have a engine stuck in your floor with a pile of splinters around it, thats if you dont crush your self

·
Registered
297 Posts
holy s**T i didnt realize that was what u were using for a hoist i thought your chainfall was hooked to a 8x8 beam withg a strap like these guys said if ur gonna use that to lift your motor your crazy u can find a hoist on craigslist for 100-200 bucks you would pay a hell of alot more if that was to fall and screw up your truck, motor,anything around or severly hurt or kill yourself or anyone around i would think the 200 buck would be well worth it to prevent every thing that could go wrong with that

1 - 20 of 35 Posts