Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So heres the build thread...There really wasnt much work that went into it & even less cash..I think I have around $20 into it...

I traded a small boat I had for this truck.. I got the boat for free & it was just taking up space in my shop..I was just going to pull the axles & scrap it out but it turnd into a project..

What I started with.. 70 shortbox,just a compleat cab & 2 axles.. The floors were rotted out but the interior was 99% perfect didnt even have dust in the insterment cluster...

I threw on a set of bald 38s & likes the look

After deciding on building it & went thru all my parts & had every part I needed to build this truck.. I was just going to do a motor,tranny,tcase gut the inside of the truck & beat it to hell...

with motor in & rad...

I didnt like the look of the truck with the rad so I used a differant rad & cut the support down so there was just enuff to mount it all... Then I decided to cut a grill I had down to fit that..

After that I got thinking the doors had holes in them & I had better doors so I decided to swap doors & paint the truck..

I had a prob with paint so I had to strip one side & redo it

Finish paint

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Then I moved to the inside.. I couldnt trash the good interior so I tore out the dash & put another in... only takes 30 mins to strip the dash

All I had was red door panals & I didnt like that so I got some silver hammerite Fusion paint.. I did the dash pad,door panals ,& visors...Paint didnt dry on the visors or the arm rest on the panals..Im working on that prob now

On the floors I just used tin & pop riveted it in on both floors & each cab corner..

When I got it all togeather I didnt like the look of seeing the hinges so I cut up 2 junk fenders I had

spray painted them for now

This week the hood is getting cut down to match the grill

I forgot to add that I just had some crappy pipe laying around so I cut that up to go from the cab to the rad support to keep the support from moving..I used the holes where the inner fenders bolt to the cab & made a plate to mount there & just buggerd a plate for the rad side... Didnt get pix of this & will get some tonight..

Another little thing I did was lower the factory mounts for the front & back break hoses... Ill get pix tonight of that

So theres where it sits right now..

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Looks good. What's the plan for the rear bed area?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Nice build, must be rough to look around and realise you have enough parts laying around to build another truck! Keep those pics coming.:thumbup

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks good. What's the plan for the rear bed area?
The battery & a truck toolbox... Thats it

Nice build, must be rough to look around and realise you have enough parts laying around to build another truck! Keep those pics coming.:thumbup
I actually have enuff to build 1 or 2 others.. I know someone restoring a Freewheeler on here that got some parts from me...I still have alot more

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got more pix of my"extended " break liknes...

Keeping with the cheap I just lowerd the mounts... The rear I might lower more not sure yet...

Gaind alot in the front

Rear..The 2 holes by the big one on the right is where it used to mount..

Ill try to get some inside pix tonight if we dont cut the hood...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Nice!

Man, narrowing that grill made the headlights look Huge!
I might end up copying that... I got a 76 long bed I'm thinking of chopping dropping and doing a 32 Ford rod inspired street truck out of, was trying to figure out how to make the grill/rad area look worth a darn with no hood or fenders... you solved my problem for me! Nice covering of the hinges too... hmm..

*wonders off to find his saws-all* :D

G.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice!

Man, narrowing that grill made the headlights look Huge!
I might end up copying that... I got a 76 long bed I'm thinking of chopping dropping and doing a 32 Ford rod inspired street truck out of, was trying to figure out how to make the grill/rad area look worth a darn with no hood or fenders... you solved my problem for me! Nice covering of the hinges too... hmm..

*wonders off to find his saws-all* :D

G.
Thanks... I actualy cut the plastic down so it matches the factory lines...A sready hand to cut down the middle of slot is hard... I used super glue & bondo to hold it togeather... I think I did a thread on the grill... Ill look it up & post it here

The plan for tonight is to cut the hood to match...That is if the guy with the plasma cutter can do it...I just hope it all looks decent when its done...I dont know of anyone that has narrowed a hood this much...

Here.... Thought there was more into it...

http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171817

& you seem like you would like this thread also about almost free tube doors...

http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155278

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I took a little over 11 inches out of each side.(still working on it)

Cant figure out this pic. It doesn't show the real shape. The hood is full width at the back an -22" at the front.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Slim... We cut ALOT more out of it... Ill post up pix in a bit.... Have to get them all loaded up... Im not liking the way we cut it so I may hack up another Freewheeler hood...

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
*Update 10/28/2011* I re did the hood look on the other pages

Well I got pix lastnight of the tube mounts I made & pix of the hood...And yes my welds suck...

Tube cab side...

Rad side...

Hood pix... Im starting the welding tonight on it...Theres not much info out there on how to cut it as much as I need so its just cut & try...

The man weilding the plasma torch... NOT ME

Hard to see but we set it on & set the front..Some of these are out of order

Back of the hood looking front...Have ALOT to add to the rear

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So after looking at my hood & alot of thinking... Im making my own hood that will look like the factory but be 45 inches in the front.... We think this is the easiest way to go.... More pix when we get to it...

·
Registered
805 Posts
if you don't mind me asking, why did you chose to cut the pie pieces out of the hood from the center as oppose to from the outside as in the pics posted by Slim Carter?

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
if you don't mind me asking, why did you chose to cut the pie pieces out of the hood from the center as oppose to from the outside as in the pics posted by Slim Carter?
Body lines & we cut a larger peice out...I havent found anyone that has narrowed a hood as much as this & keep the body lines right...Thats why we decided to use som peices we have cut out & make my own hood...

·
Retired
16,027 Posts
Got more pix of my"extended " break liknes...

Keeping with the cheap I just lowerd the mounts... The rear I might lower more not sure yet...

Gaind alot in the front

Rear..The 2 holes by the boig one on the right is where it used to mount..

Ill try to get some inside pix tonight if we dont cut the hood...
I did kinda the same thing But you may need more slack in the rear line.

My rear line

My front line I made a holder for it because the after market lines never fit the factory holes.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts