Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all; this will be my first post. I'll add to my profile just as soon as I get this question off my shoulders:

I found a 79 F250 supercab 400/C6/205 that's free for the hauling off. (I may have to do a little work around his house in trade) It's got an 8 lug 44 in the front, and a 60, or 62 in the rear? not sure... My 78 bronco is 351/435/205. I'm wondering if the knuckles, spindle, hub, lockout, etc. will change out with my 5 lug 44. I know the bronco/F150 is a 5 stud spindle, but I don't know about the F250. I know it's got the same steering as a Chevy/Dodge, but I'm not interested in the housing; I just want the R&P/carrier, and the knuckles- out. A 44 is a 44, right? Can I use my knuckles, or do I need the F250 knuckles in order to make it work? The rotor diameter may be a little bigger, but I'm not sure- the hub sure looks bigger. If the knuckles will fit on my housing, what about the stub shaft O.D? I'm sorry to ask a million questions. I just wonder if any one has done the 8 lug 44 conversion...or am I just wasting my time? Thanks for the help; sorry for the long post.

·
Premium Member
4,163 Posts
I'll forgo the usual "search, its been covered' response...

Yes, the 'F-250 outer' conversion is very common and a direct knuckle swap. Yes, a 44 is a 44..as long as its a ball-joint 44 and not king-pin/closed knuckle early type.

Done many of those...just finished putting F-250 outers on a narrowed Chebby D44 that is now in a Scout 800. You end up with an 8-lug 44 and bigger brakes.

·
Registered
79 Posts
gonna have to grind calipers and backing plate on the 3/4 ton parts to clear 15in rims and not a lot of back spacing on wheel. I ended up with all gm outer parts, they are more plentiful. But I am so sad to say I hauled off my 44 today and the 60 is about ready for the trail

1 - 10 of 10 Posts