Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I will try to summarize..
79 400, it cranks but only sometimes would start when you released the key.
So we put in a new ignition switch and that didnt cure the problem. So next we put in a new stator, didn't help. Next we switched out the module and again, just cranks. Also put in a coil.

So now it just gets spark at the very beginning of the crank but it does not pulse, its just one spark.

Any ideas?

·
OMF
2,954 Posts
How does the distributor cap and rotor look?

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
got fuel?

got a HOT spark while cranking?

How fast does it crannk?

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
did you check to make sure the rotor button is turning???????

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you can't get it running I'll make him a nice offer on a non running Bronco. :haha
hahaha.. i was waiting for someone to say something like that..lol:histerica

·
Premium Member
12,536 Posts
Hey at least you know it would be taken care of.

When you try to start it it sounds like it want to pop off when you release the key from the start mode but then dies? Is that what I am getting from your post?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

When you try to start it it sounds like it want to pop off when you release the key from the start mode but then dies? Is that what I am getting from your post?
No, it used to crank normal while you are holding the key all the way to the right in start mode.. but then it would just crank.. Then while cranking, i let go of the key and it would instantly start. In other words, it wouldn't start unless you let go of the key. So I thought it was the ignition switch, so i changed that. But that didnt help.

·
Premium Member
12,536 Posts

No, it used to crank normal while you are holding the key all the way to the right in start mode.. but then it would just crank.. Then while cranking, i let go of the key and it would instantly start. In other words, it wouldn't start unless you let go of the key. So I thought it was the ignition switch, so i changed that. But that didnt help.
:scratchhe

Isn't that what I said?

You are losing power somewhere to the coil I'm thinking. Get a test light and check the negative side of the coil while cranking and releasing the key.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:scratchhe

Isn't that what I said?

You are losing power somewhere to the coil I'm thinking. Get a test light and check the negative side of the coil while cranking and releasing the key.
hmmmm u said "When you try to start it it sounds like it want to pop off when you release the key from the start mode but then dies?" And I said, it cranks and when i releasethe key from start mode it starts and runs fine. But ONLY if I release the key.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts