Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
RAAAAAH!
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have a picture or exploded diagram on how the 79 caliper mounts onto the 79 axle?

I am trying to get the brake on for my SAS.

I have the bracket that bolts behind the spindle. I have what I was told was the right caliper but I think I may be missing 1 or more pieces in between.

·
Premium Member
12,536 Posts
You have the caliper bracket mounted to the axle, the caliper then fits over the top and bottom slide. There is a retainer piece and spring clip that hold the caliper in place and allow it to slide. There is 1 bolt that mounts to the caliper bracket that holds the slide in place. I'll see if I can find something for you for an image.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,435 Posts
FYI, those should work with the TTB calipers as well. I kept mine when I did the SAS.

·
RAAAAAH!
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's what I was hoping for. I compared them and I could not see a difference with the actual calipers.

This way I don't have to worry about bleeding them right now since we didn't disconnect the brake lines.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,435 Posts
That's what I was hoping for. I compared them and I could not see a difference with the actual calipers.

This way I don't have to worry about bleeding them right now since we didn't disconnect the brake lines.
I was looking for pics from when I did my swap, no luck. It works though, so stick with the TTB ones.

·
RAAAAAH!
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was able to find those pieces.

However, I could only get the metal piece to go in. There was no way there was any room for that spring strip thingy.

The caliper is in there tight but I fear it may be too tight and not slide when the pads start to wear.

Any ideas?

·
RAAAAAH!
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's what I thought but I could not get it to fit. Even without the spring clip it took a mini sledge to get the slide it.

I guess I will take it back apart and see if there is something I am missing.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,435 Posts
just be careful with the metal piece they'll have a tendency to mushroom at the end if you pound on them too hard. It shouldn't take that much effort to get them in if the caliper is oriented right on the caliper bracket.

·
Registered
355 Posts
you may have to hold the caliper up somewhat to get the clip in..i seem to remember it being easier with another set of hands. one to hold the caliper at the right angle the other to insert the spring clip and hammer. it's tricky.

·
Premium Member
12,536 Posts
If the caliper is tight without the spring clip in something is wrong. Put the spring clip over the retainer and it should slide in together with some taps from a hammer. Like jermil said the retainer will mushroom out if it is beat on to hard.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had a hard time getting it all to line up when I did my thunderbird calipers. It will wedge in there just right so that the keeper wont fit. Pull it out and start over. I should all go together fairly easy, I put a little high temp anti sieze on the calipers also.

·
RAAAAAH!
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Bronco is at a friends house and i won't be able to look at it again until tomorrow.

I will give it another shot tomorrow and take a pic if I can't figure it out.

·
RAAAAAH!
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alright, my TTB will NOT work. I wonder if they had slight differences between calipers/years?

I tried getting it all together with the new 79 caliper and it slid together like a glove. Tried again with the TTB, no dice.

Looking at the notch on the caliper, the 79 notch looks like this /\ The TTB notch looks like this /-\

The fact that the TTB notch didn't go all the way down to a point is what was causing the problem. The key was pressing up against the flat bottom of the TTB caliper so much there was just no room.

It looks like the 79 caliper could fit on the TTB, maybe?

Anyways, so i guess the way to tell if your particular TTB calipers will work is to check the notch.

Hope this helps somebody.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,435 Posts
good info..glad you finally got it figured out..:thumbup:thumbup..at some point I'll go back and take a look at my TTB calipers and see how they're on there..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.