Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the middle of restoring my 79 bronco and I am having trouble finding factory high back seat upholstery I know theres sites out there iI can't find them tho lol any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

·
Premium Member
1996 Ford Bronco
861 Posts
SMS Auto Fabrics. I assume you have the plaid cloth inserts like the low-back seats in my 78? If so, this is literally the ONLY place to get the correct fabric and vinyl.

They have the NOS plaid cloth and correct reproduction vinyl.

As my back seat was actually in great shape, I didn't have it redone and only did the front two seats. That said, the way they sell you the material, I have enough left over to do the back seat, or repair any damage done to my front seats.

Be prepared to pony up, though. It was about $600 in plaid and vinyl alone. All said and done it was about $1000 just for my front seats to be redone. If you aren't doing a true, 78 showroom restoration like me, then just get some kick-ass aftermarket seats.

·
Registered
309 Posts
What 78BroncoSteve said.

If you go the resto-mod route ...

I ended up going with some Smittybilt vynil "Jeep" seats, as the bolt mounting pattern is the same. $200 per seat or thereabouts. There are more expensive ones, and cheaper ones but at lower quality.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
What 78BroncoSteve said.

If you go the resto-mod route ...

I ended up going with some Smittybilt vynil "Jeep" seats, as the bolt mounting pattern is the same. $200 per seat or thereabouts. There are more expensive ones, and cheaper ones but at lower quality.
The Smittybilt seats just bolt right on to the 78/79 factory bracket? I might need to take a look at them.

·
Registered
309 Posts
The Smittybilt seats just bolt right on to the 78/79 factory bracket? I might need to take a look at them.
Trying to remember the years offhand. Something like 1974-1989 Jeep buckets had the same mounting bolt spacing as the Ford buckets. It was a decent range of years. Some are different, though. Best to measure a few times before you buy. X pattern on the holes, then side to side/front to back. I think it was more that a common seat manufacturer was supplying to various production plants than some kind of strange coincidence.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts