Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up this rig about a year ago and had no problems till I took it muddin for the first time. first run through the muddle it shuts off, I can start it back up but it doesn't idle unless I constantly got my foot on the gas. She drives perfect on the road no problems but every time I take her out in the hill the same thing happens. Now ones I get it out of the woods and get it home it will idle rough( low rpm, real weak and clunky) for about two days but at least it idles, after about two days the idle is back to normal. Something to note when she shuts off its generally at some sort of an angle.

I dont know much about Broncos my only thought was fuel pump?

Looked at the forums and couldnt find anything on this specific problem. any information would help alot thanks.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Sounds like you have some water (moisture) in the distributer. Pull the cap off (leave the wires on) and wipe the inside of the distributer and the underside of the cap.
You might also check to see if you have water around the sparkplug holes (at the head). Bad wires could be intermittently shorting the spark to the head instead of firing the plug.

Good Luck

·
Registered
248 Posts
X2 on the distributor cap. I'd be willing to bet it's probably corroded. Clean the contacts if you don't want to spend money on it or just buy a new distributor cap. That is, if it's corroded. I used to have problems with my 79 whenever it would rain until I replaced my distributor cap.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Like the others have said, it sounds like the distributor has moisture in it. Spray a little WD40 inside the cap before you go play in the mud next time. It usually keeps that from happening.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE

Went out in the mud this weekend, cleaned the distributor sprayed wd40 she still died just like normal. But when I unlocked the hubs I could drive through all the mud holes I wanted.

update: only shuts 0ff with hubs locked ( a full time drive box) so im always technically in 4x4 its just not engaged.

Any more suggestions would be great
thanks.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Do you still have the inner fender panels? Do you have 2" of mud on the distributer? On the coil?
Clean up the distributer and then duct tape the cap to the distributer base.
Are the plug wires good?

Otherwise: You could be the victim of a poltergeist haunting your Bronco, the locking/unlocking of the hubs has nothing to do with the ignition system.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Oh but it is related to locking/ unlocking the hubs. My guess is that his when locked in the front tires are slinging mud up into his engine compartment somewhere and causing the short. Could be the ignition box or a slew of other things. Something is getting wet and then drying out. It could even be the ignition wire going to the coil causing week power to the coil. Tough to diagnose. Check under the hood as soon as it shows up and find out where the mud/ water is getting into. You could also run the truck at home and use a garden carefully so you don't suck it into the carb. How deep of mud are you running in? If it's up ober the frame rails I would be running some sort of snorkel. Wheelin' can be costly. That's why you'll see some of these trail rigs for sale that look beat, but are very expensive. There is a lot of time and money put into a true offroad rig that gets the snot beat out of it.
Swamp

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
I agree with swamp.

The front wheels are sling water all over the engine bay and something is shorting out.

inspect all the harnesses.

Remove the ignition box and look at the back side where they sealed it up. If it is all cracked up chances are it has failed and moisture gets in it and shuts the motor down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again for the feedback.
None of the puddles are close to the frame
ill take a look at the ignition box and under the hood to see where the muds going.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts