Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been stalking the forum for a little over a year and finally decided to document all my work.

I picked up a '79 Ranger XLT from Craigslist back in May of '14 for what I consider a great price, (thanks to help from forum members!). The Bronco lived in El Paso all of it's life and was virtually rust-free. The PO had inherited it from his father, who inherited it from his father. I was told that it was basically like it was from the factory with no body or engine work so I treated it like a baby on the drive home to North Dallas, (from Austin where they had recently relocated from). It drove great and seemed solid for the 4-hr trip.

I've never really worked on cars and had decided that this was going to be my schooling. I planned to sell my 2010 Ford Fusion and make this my daily driver, learning to repair it as I went along. I vowed to never take it to a mechanic unless absolutely necessary. (It didn't hurt that my neighbor was a certified mechanic and loves Bronco's, but regardless).

(I've added some pictures at http://www.supermotors.net/27233 for everything listed below).

The temp needle seemed stuck so the first thing I did was splurge on a Dakota Digital instrument cluster. That led to my first experience with electrical issues on 37 year old trucks. :banghead I decided to locate the brain of the unit in the glove box for ease of access. I highly recommend it and love the confidence it gave me. I just got the base model but love not having to rely on bouncing needles.

Next I addressed a leaking transfer case with a rebuild kit from Northwest Fab. The rebuild went great thanks to threads I found on FSB and some other detailed write-ups online.

I then hit the junkyards and found an old push bar from a '78 F-250. The top bar was bent so I took it off and got a local replacement (3/16 thick). I stripped the chrome off and painted it white.

I ordered a Highliner headliner from LMC and installed that only to discover that the Bronco used to have a sun roof and had been welded shut with an old road sign, (What!?!?! PO lied to me!?!?)

A friend gave me a old Cobra Nightwatch CB so I bought a new Alpine headunit and scrounged up some Polk speakers. Threw in a 20 year old Alpine amp and a 12" Infinity sub for some good tunes.

I bought a slightly used set of KC Daylighters and driving lights, ($100 for everything), and mounted them on my new push par with the KC bar mounts, (cost me almost as much as the lights!?!). Also got some Pro-Comp lights that I mounted on my mirrors and got some flood lights that I mounted to the frame around the fuel tank. Wired everything up to a relay board I mounted in the engine bay and put some toggle switches in the new headliner.

My current projects include custom fiberglass boxes in place of the inner rear quarter panels to house the new Kicker 8" shallow mount sub's. Once those are in place I'm going to mount some VDP storage boxes on hinges so I can keep things secure when the top's off. Before that's finished I'll have the cab lined with Monstaliner and will Monstaline the exterior red/white two-tone, (assuming the color samples I've requested give the look I want).

Future plans include:
  • Ranger429's soft-top build
  • Getting a slight lift kit installed so I can go with 17" tires
  • Working the engine over with a new cam and 4BBL carb
  • Finding a 40/20/40 bench seat to replace my factory seats
  • Replicating SixLiter's under seat storage and doing the same with the empty space under the passenger floorboard
FSB is an awesome site and is always my first go-to when I start a project. Hopefully I can get to some of the shows I'm always reading about one day and meet some of you all face-to-face. Let me know if any of you are ever in the North Dallas area!

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Welcome, send me a pm with your contact info. If we can ever get a meet and greet together, we'll give you a shout. Dean

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,632 Posts
Damn nice rig and you've got a lot going on Wilder. You need to be documenting and sharing here for sure man! Great stuff going on there. :thumbup
You've obviously been doing your homework here and elsewhere. :rockon

Get some more legit posts going and we'll move this into the build area, if you want to keep us in the loop and really document your efforts for all of us and future Bronco-maniacs. :thumbup

I have to ask... who's "PEPE"? The rig?
Just curious. I'm rather fond of that nickname myself. :toothless

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,632 Posts
saw that coming a mile away. :toothless

·
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter
5,716 Posts
Welcome to our Home, Please take the time and click on the "VOTE for TOP 4X4 SITE" so we can get more exposure and Members as yourself...

You can click on "Vote for TOP 4X4 SITE" On the bottom of my signature or go to "Other Forums".

Thanks,
Allcruisen :imp :usa

1 - 11 of 11 Posts