Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking for another project for lil while. Found this solid 79 in southern Oregon. Had been partially stripped as you see But its a great foundation. Lots ideas. From another Superduty to Raptor lite (04 up f150 frame shortened underneath).

Attachments

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My intention is that this will be my build thread. My goal is for it to be a drivable project within one year.

I've been gathering parts. Gonna be a little Frankenstein ish as i have access a 351w that i purchased around 2001 for my first Bronco. Pleasure craft marine, was a great engine! Long story but i know it's history and it's lower mile engine but their rough miles. Still useable and changeable if I'm not satisfied.

M50DR2 from a 90 F150 (wrecking yard) $250. Had clean oil and lil metal on the magnet.
Looks like someone may have opened it in the past. The 3 rubber plugs behind the shifter that are known for leakage are actually metal?? Indications of rebuild??

Np205 from a 78 Bronco. Clean oil and no evidence of major leaks.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thinking im going with 06 up superduty axles. Simple durability! And already done once!

Couple pics of the drip rail ends from above the headliner. You can see the very begining of surface rust. Would easy to sand/grind rust out and get metal sealed if could get in there??

Any ideas? Might just shoot some primer there best can and keep the truck dry.

Attachments

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While the interior is gutted I want to preserve the metal best I can and in the process insulate. The seam sealant has dried and cracked in several places, in a few places it has fallen out leaving cracks big enough to see thru. Thinking I'm gonna sand off the couple bubbly rust spots, por 15 those areas, replace the failed seam sealant and shoot a big heavy coat or 2 of Al's liner. Been a few years since doing my last Bronco, is there a easier product to use than Al's liner?

Anyone use their HNR??

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Full blast snails pace! It's officially started. I have assembled a pile of parts. Parts on hand and a idea of the plan.
1983 4bt 1600hrs
Ford adapter plate and fly wheel
M50DR2
NP205
Deaver 6in rear leaves (H57 or 8) cannot remember.
Deaver 7in front coils (JBG superflex)
2007 F250 sterling 10.5 rear 4.10 ratio with the factory limited slip
2007 F250 D60 front also 4.10
2007 steering gear box and frame section

Reactions: curtwow

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also have received most of the radius arm and trac bar build parts. I decided on the WFO axle side link parts. Nice stuff! U don't have a lazer jet or CNC so receiving pre cut parts is nice.

Reactions: d_rock

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Under body is scheduled to be blasted next Sunday. Then POR15, seam sealant, primer and some brand of liner. Unsure on what liner to use on this one. I have used AL's, was satisfied with its ease of use and performance but I did feel it was softer than I liked. May use it again, we'll see.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, kinda caught up on pics and progress.

Current hurdle. The rear Deavers have a larger front bushing and eye. I was able to clamp and pull the spring into place and get the bolts in. It looks like the metal spring eye will contact the spring hanger during cycling. I don't want poping, squeaking, harshness. I'm sure this has been solved.

I've looked for a thread mentioning this.
There are lots of flip kits and options available for the rear of the rear spring but not for the front. I can make another "clearanced" front hanger, what's the solution?

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,876 Posts
Reactions: quinault

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,876 Posts
Those are actually for the newer trucks so the holes maybe slightly different. Should not be a big deal. Will be curious to see how those fit as they are my "list" of stuff to get for my 78 as well.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I received the desolate kit. I returned it. It would have worked BUT I would have lost 1 to 2 in of lift. The desolate hangers are shorter.
I am going to use hangers from a 2007 F350. Ordered a pair from ATS for $190 and they come with all mounting hardware. The superduty frame is the same 37.5" wide as the Broncos. The F350 hanger is about the same length as the factory bronco hanger, ride height will be maintained as well the superduty hanger is larger to accept the military wrap that deaver uses. Now waiting on a bushing alternative from deaver that will use the larger M18 bolt from the F350.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also Had the underside and interior of the tub blasted.
POR15, tie-cote primer and undercoating to follow.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The tub has 2 full coats of POR15 but I haven't taken any pics yet. I have been hammering away!

Rear spring hangers loosely mounted. The top factory holes match easy enough. Within a fuzz of the same mounting height, heavier steel and clearance for the larger spring eye.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A few pics should tell the story.

Maybe a lil hard to see but I had the bearing retainer machined down and drilled the bolt holes. Forgot the head style of the bolts but you get the idea, to fit inside the tail housing of the M50D. The bold heads are cone shaped.

Measured several times, lil stressful. Cordless drill and a 7/8 hole saw.

After a little grinder and flap wheel cleanup, it fits! I'll worry about linkage later, might go twin stick, don't know if I need it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Now that the transmission and transfer case are married, on to the crossmember and front suspension.

My goal was nothing under the frame to interfere with the radius arms and clearance for the front drive line at full droop. I Will upload a pic of the clearance at the front shaft, don't have one currently.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts