Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 79 Bronco (351M) broke down approaching a toll way and I can't get it to start unless I give it full throttle then it runs really rough on won't idle. I checked fuel pump, spark plugs, vaccum lines, drilled the catalytic converter, and it seems to be getting more rough as I try to diagnose the problem. Runs the same whether I poor gas into the carb or if it is from the fuel pump. Could it be weak ignition? All plugs are dry and there is no smoke ever. I know it is extremely lean, but I don't know why. Anything will help.

·
www.easttn4x4.com
2,191 Posts
Could be a stuck float in the carb. The top half pulls off easy to check, or you can tap the side with a hammer.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
It died when approaching a toll....Hit the Brakes and rob vacuum and voltage from the system...Im shooting for vacuum...Lots of times when it gets warms our 25 year+ vacuum hoses dry rot and crack...Im shooting for a vacuum leak.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok...I played with all the vaccum lines and have found a little bit of results. Still not running smoothly AT ALL. I turned up the idle at the carb so it will run now, but runs very rough. When I put it in gear, it dies without feathering the throttle. What now?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts