Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

· Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to start a write-up for my 1979 Bronco Custom. It's got the 351m and is, from what I can tell, almost completely stock. The guy I bought it from sounded like he was the 2nd owner and had only owned it for a couple years. Original owner loved the thing and babied it, took really good care of it but probably put a lot of miles on (mentioned a trip to Montana and back).

I bought it in March from a guy in Kansas (2 hours away). Showed up sight unseen and loved it (and the price) and I was amazed when it made the trip home without a single problem, and at 15 mpg. One of the biggest issues it had was that the old tailgate had been hit pretty hard, broke the window, all that, so I already grabbed a new tailgate from the local junkyard and slapped it on- I was pretty happy it actually rolled up and down. So far I've been really lucky- hoping the luck holds out.

I plan on making it a fun truck- something I can take off road (nothing too serious), haul stuff around in, drive to work, etc without worrying about it getting scratched or anything. I've got a really low budget, but my plan is to:
-Clean it out and fix the holes in the floor pans
-Add a good stereo (I'm a musician, so that's an important part)
-Going to need to do something with the interior... especially the seats which are totally wrecked
-Fix the holes in the body- bad rust over rear fenders and the rear corners- not surprised by either
-Eventually I'm probably going to paint it with Monstaliner or Line-x (though I probably can't afford the latter) after it's all cleaned up
-Put a 4" lift on it
-Upgrade the 33" tires to 35's, though that will require a re-gear so I may put that off a while. The tires are about bald though, so I may not be able to put it off long.

I've got a little experience under my belt (did some engine work on an EFI F150 and an '80 Bronco, as well as a little interior stuff) but I'm still new to all this, and I've yet to get my hands dirty with suspension and the gearing changes.

I'd love suggestions and recommendations- this is going to be a fun truck, like I said, not a show piece, so I just want to enjoy working on it.

Thanks for the help! Pics below

Not sure where the pics of the passenger side went. Same story but less fender rust (some of it is still there).

New door panels and seats in store.

· Resident Nice Guy
2,975 Posts
-Add a good stereo (I'm a musician, so that's an important part)

I don't understand. It looks like the PO left you a premium top shelf sound system sitting on your floorboards.

:music0715

· Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys.

The body is definitely got some rust issues. It's hard to see, but the driver's rear fender is just rusted away under the trim. Not as bad under the pass. side. The floor is also pretty rough- going to need new floor pans and some work in front of the back seat. Nothing too unexpected though.

I don't understand. It looks like the PO left you a premium top shelf sound system sitting on your floorboards.
That's definitely at the top of the list!

Could be the trailer special- it has a really thick sway bar on the back, but maybe that's standard. It has a lot of the original documentation in the glove box (I'll definitely take a picture of it), so I'll have to look at that more closely.

· Premium Member
2,515 Posts
Congrats on a fun find. I always get Excited when I see someone with a 79 Custom with that paint scheme. That's what I bought new back in 79. I always wonder if it will show up on here someday! I would love to know if it still exist.

Look forward to following your build thread. As far as the rust you might take a look above the windshield. They are famous for rusting there also.

And no such thing at to many pics! :popc1::popc1::popc1:

· Premium Member
413 Posts
Very nice! I always loved the 78-79 body, especially with that paint & trim option.

Call me crazy, but I'd leave the exterior as-is! It would be incredibly neat to have the engine compartment & interior totally restored, but leave the exterior looking like that (minus the rust issues, of course). Don't go with a Line-X or similar finish, on the inside or out. Paint always looks better.

And if you're planning to lift it 4" and add 35's, forget about keeping track of the mileage! lol!

I look forward to seeing your progress!

· Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Things have been quiet for the last couple weeks. My wife and I had our first baby, so, needless to say, priorities have been elsewhere.
I did manage to make a quick trip to the junkyard. There's a 90's bronco that is in pretty good shape (besides looking like it sat so long that moss grew all over it), and it has a 4-6" lift on it, so I pulled the leaf springs and plan to use those on my truck (assuming they fit, which it seems like they will). I'll be back to pull the coil springs and pitman arm when I get the chance, as well as cut out some floor pans to patch up the rusty spots.

Also, I noticed that the truck already has a steering stabilizer on it, which saves me a few bucks! I'm wondering if somebody already installed a couple inch lift on it in the past. It also has a small pitman drop arm, but I don't know what came stock. Will upload pics of that stuff later. Running 33's and there's a couple inches of space and no clearance or turning issues, so I'm thinking it may already be slightly lifted.

A few pics of cleaning out the truck a couple weeks ago, just before the baby was born. Sorry, they're a little blurrier because I have a crappy phone.

[URL=http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/mrbolleror/media/20160507_104817_zpsxsy8f7yc.jpg.html]

This beaut was in the glove-box!

· Premium Member
7,766 Posts
Springs are drastically different. 1978-1979 rear spring is 7/8 shorter in the rear half from the center bolt back but same length from the center bolt forward. The biggie is tha arch, 1978 has in stock form 3" more arch than a 1980 up. So a 6" 1980-1996 lift spring turns out to be actually only 3" over standard arch. The width is the same 2.5 inch so that would work but the flatter arch and shorter length will make things not go so well.

· Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Springs are drastically different. 1978-1979 rear spring is 7/8 shorter in the rear half from the center bolt back but same length from the center bolt forward. The biggie is tha arch, 1978 has in stock form 3" more arch than a 1980 up. So a 6" 1980-1996 lift spring turns out to be actually only 3" over standard arch. The width is the same 2.5 inch so that would work but the flatter arch and shorter length will make things not go so well.
I'm not too surprised by that. Has anybody tried it and what were the results? I can easily return or resell the springs so I'm not too worried about it. I might just scrap the lift idea for now- not super excited about trying to change the gearing if I put 35's and adding 4 inches will make the 33's look puny.

· Super Moderator
7,379 Posts
1 - 20 of 132 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.