Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
How did I get 6 Rigs??
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't ask why...but I was cruzin Craigslist, looking at who was selling Broncos. I have a 89, but like to see what is on the market. Short story... A '79 was for sale (351M, granny gear, good straight body,little surface rust on top, decent interior, and motor/drive train that sounded solid) and somehow I ended up buying it for $925.

My reason for asking for help is:
What should I look for to make sure it is a solid driver? I had to drive it almost 40 miles and was expecting for something to break at any time. The guy I bought it from got it at a lien sale, and was going to fix it up, but has fallen on hard times.

It looks like it has a spot for duel batteries, but why would it have come with 2 from the factory? The wires are there, but no second batteries.

The emergency brake doesn't hold and although the brakes work, I wasn't all to comfortable with how much I had to press on the pedal to get it to stop. Thoughts on what to do?

It needs a new dash and driver's door panel. Any source or other Fords that I could pull from? We have a few Pick and Pulls around here that I can pick through, but alternates would be helpful.

Thanks for the help and I look forward to getting this Bronco back on the road, where she belongs. I just posted a picture under the post a picture forum. More photos to come tomorrow.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Don't ask why...but I was cruzin Craigslist, looking at who was selling Broncos. I have a 89, but like to see what is on the market. Short story... A '79 was for sale (351M, granny gear, good straight body,little surface rust on top, decent interior, and motor/drive train that sounded solid) and somehow I ended up buying it for $925.

My reason for asking for help is:
What should I look for to make sure it is a solid driver? I had to drive it almost 40 miles and was expecting for something to break at any time. The guy I bought it from got it at a lien sale, and was going to fix it up, but has fallen on hard times.

It looks like it has a spot for duel batteries, but why would it have come with 2 from the factory? The wires are there, but no second batteries.

The emergency brake doesn't hold and although the brakes work, I wasn't all to comfortable with how much I had to press on the pedal to get it to stop. Thoughts on what to do?

It needs a new dash and driver's door panel. Any source or other Fords that I could pull from? We have a few Pick and Pulls around here that I can pick through, but alternates would be helpful.

Thanks for the help and I look forward to getting this Bronco back on the road, where she belongs. I just posted a picture under the post a picture forum. More photos to come tomorrow.
1.) nice find, <1k 78-79 broncos are hard to come by, post some pics
2.) Some broncos were offered with a dual battery option from the factory, two batteries for running certain things when the truck wasnt running
3.) If it feels spongy, bleed the brakes, from there inspect wear on pads, shoes, lines, etc. replace what looks broken. Many people recommed doing a f350 brake booster upgrade, look it up, a lot claim good results.
4.)73-79 ford pickups had the same doors, and most of the dash parts are also interchangeable.

·
Registered
580 Posts
The Emergency brake issue could be the shoes are out of adjustment. Could also be the brake cable is out of adjustment or the shoes could be just smooth worn out. Regardless it sounds like and easy fix. Then again one of the cables going to the rear drums may be broken. I would get underneath her and inspect the cables first and foremost. If that doesnt fix it then start pulling the drums off of the rear for a brake inspection.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts